• Advertisement
marcus12

Need suggestion to Release a finished Mobile Game

Hello,

We have developed a mobile game and everything is ready from tested builds, trailers, setting up of stores (iOS and Android) etc. Game designing, development etc everything is done by us. The publication company role was to set the marketing platform for this game.

Now this publication company is delaying the release month after month and the latest date which is proposed by them is January next year.

We are thinking of self publishing but we are worried whether there can be any legal complications showing these profiles.

What are the best possible ways for us to publish this game?

Edited by marcus12

Advertisement

Personally I would have thought all the detail about when it would be released would be covered in your initial contract. Issues that matter, and which aren't clear from the above:

• have you been paid for this work? or promised payment?
  • what do you have in writing regarding the project length, delivery dates, release dates, etc? This includes any original agreement and any subsequent agreements.
  • have these 100 entrepreneurs given permission to be in this game? Is it conditional on having seen the game? Was the permission given to the magazine publication company, rather than you?
  • are there any other trademarks being used? Or copyrighted material supplied to you for use in the game?

4 hours ago, marcus12 said:

Now this publication company is delaying the release month after month and the latest date which is proposed by them is January next year. This is not acceptable from our end as we don't want to keep a finished product in shelf for such a long period.

Not acceptable? Along with what Kylotan said, the publisher has a right to withhold publishing as they see fit. If they funded the game (which you say you made per their request) then they're in complete charge.

4 hours ago, marcus12 said:

We are thinking of self publishing but we are worried whether there can be any legal complications showing these profiles.

Of course there can. Does your contract say rights revert to you if the game isn't published by the publisher? Do you (does your company) have signed permission from each of the named/pictured entrepreneurs to use their names and likenesses? Read your contract. Talk to your lawyer.

Kylotan - Thanks for feedback.  Basically it's a collaborative work where they haven't paid and it was decided that on mutual consent the releasing date will be decided. The earlier releasing dates was decided after discussing with them. In terms of permission it's with them. The publication company have asked us to display there names and icon in many places inside the game so there are trademark content.

Will try to explore and find out the best possible way to release the game :) 

Edited by marcus12

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By Atwo Studios
      Hello everyone this is Anthony from Atwo Studios, as small indie company we have published 2 indie games using Game maker, one being ROY - Color Matching and the other being Solar Switch. Both can be found on iOS and the Google play store.

For our third indie game we are wanting to make a golf puzzle based game, this would be on mobile too.

Our current team consists of a designer,programmer and artist. I would like to add a person who is interested in making sounds effects/ music for our game.

If you are interested in creating a game for portfolio work or just as a hobby, 
      please send me an email at : anthony@atwostudios.com

PLEASE do attach any audio work so that my team and I can review it and determine if you are qualified for what we are looking for.

Please check out our website for more information about us and the types of games we have made so far.
      atwostudios.com
      DOWN BELOW CAN BE FOUND VERY EARLY SNIPPET OF THE GAME TO GIVE YOU AN IDEA OF WHAT WE ARE MAKING.
      p.s. I am not a website designer
      2018-05-01_04-58-04.mp4
    • By mapmip
      Hi, I am fresh to database design, recently trying building my mobile multiplayer game, it will be something like pokemonGo.
      I have experience on MySQL, and I know some NoSQL engines like redis.
      I saw some existing game projects which store their data on both SQL database and noSQL database.
      Could anyone give some advice that what kind of data should store in SQL and what kind of data is better to be in noSQL.
      It would be nice if giving some real scenario examples.
      My understanding is data like user profile, purchase transactions should be in SQL.
      Field map information, enemy status can be NoSQL.  
    • By Final Flames
      Hi everyone I am newbie got some ideas , but don't know how the whole things work out .
       I want to learn how things work with a developer from start to finish.
      So ideally looking to team up with android developer to complete some simple fun games.
      So either reply me here or mail at palani650@gmail.com 
    • By Dr. Michael Garbade
      Are you considering developing a mobile game? If you want to be successful, you should avoid making the most common mistakes. Trying to build a game without figuring out the right approach is a recipe for disaster.
      There are experienced developers like MyIsaak from Sweden, an expert in C# and Unity game development who frequently livestreams his Diablo III Board game development process.
      The more you learn from professionals like him, who have gone through the processes, the faster you can avoid making the common game development mistakes.

Here are the top 5 game developments mistakes to avoid.
      1. Ignoring the target group
      Creating a game without properly studying your target group is a huge barrier that will keep it from being downloaded and played.
      Who are you building the game for? What are their main interests? What activities do they like participating in? Can the target group afford the gaming app? Does your target audience use iOS or Android operating system?
      Seeking answers to the above questions and others can assist in correctly identifying your target group. Consequently, you can design its functionalities around their preferences.
      Just like an ice cream vendor is likely to set up shop at the beach during summer, you should focus on consumers whose behaviors are likely to motivate them to play your game.
      For example, if you want to create a gun shooting game, you can target college-educated men in their 20s and 30s, while targeting other demographic groups secondarily.
      2. Failure to study the competitors
      To create a successful game that will increase positive reviews and retention, you should analyze the strengths and weaknesses of your competitors.
      Studying your competition will allow you to understand your capabilities to match or surpass the consumer demand for your mobile or web-based game.
      If you fail to do it, you will miss the opportunity to fill the actual needs in the gaming industry and correct the mistakes made by the developers in your niche.
      You should ask questions like “What is their target audience?” “How many downloads do their gaming app receive per month?” “What resources do they have?”.
      Answering such questions will give you a good idea of the abilities of your competition, the feasibility of competing with them, and the kind of strategies to adopt to out-compete them.
      Importantly, instead of copying the strategies of your competitors, develop a game that is unique and provides an added value to users.
      3.  Design failure
      When building a mobile or a web-based game, it’s essential that you employ a unique art style and visually appealing design—without any unnecessary sophistication. People are attracted to games based on the user interface design and intuitiveness.
      So, instead of spending a lot of time trying to write elegant and complicated lines of code, take your time to provide a better design.
      No one will download a game because its code is beautiful. People download games to play them. And, the design of the game plays a critical part in assisting them to make the download decision.
      4. Trying to do everything
      If you try to code, develop 3D models, create animations, do voice-overs—all by yourself—then you are likely to create an unsuccessful game.
      The secret to succeeding is to complete tasks that align with your core competencies and outsource the rest of the work. Learn how to divide your work to other experts and save yourself the headaches.
      You should also avoid trying to reinvent the wheel. Instead of trying to do everything by yourself, go for robust tools available out there that can make your life easier.
      Trying to build something that is already provided in the open source community will consume a lot of your development time and make you feel frustrated.
      Furthermore, do not be the beta tester of your own game. If you request someone else to do the beta testing, you’ll get useful outside perspective that will assist in discovering some hidden issues.
      5. Having unrealistic expectations
      Unrealistic expectations are very dangerous because they set your game development career up for failure. Do not put your expectations so high such that you force somethings to work your way.
      For example, dreaming too big can make you include too many rewards in your game. As much as rewards are pivotal for improving engagement and keeping users motivated, gamers will not take you seriously if you incorporate rewards in every little achievement they make.
      Instead, you should select specific rewards for specific checkpoints; this way, the players will feel that they’ve made major milestones.
      Conclusion
      The mistakes discussed in this article have made several game developers to be unsuccessful in their careers. So, be cautious and keep your head high so that you don’t fall into the same trap.
      The best way to avoid making the common mistakes is through learning how to build games from the experts.
      Who knows? You could develop the next big game in the industry.
    • By Stormnoob
      Hello everybody! Who is not difficult to evaluate / download my games)
      Play Market - https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Storm+Arts
      Thanks in advance!?
  • Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!