• Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By aymen
      please any know how can i' calculate the centroid from any number vertices
    • By Mercury Gate
      I have an idea about a modern-day war game, where players build up their base and attack other players. What I was unsure of was if a game like that needs a back story, a reason why everyone is fighting each other.
      So what do you think? Should a game with base building and PVP need a backstory? If so, what are some appealing ideas?
      Why is the world at world? How do new players coming into the game change the story at hand? If at all?
      Will there ever be a single victor? If so, what happens then?
      Let us have a discussion...
    • By Mercury Gate
      How do you feel about having computer controlled players holding a place in the top 100 list?
      In a competitive game I am thinking about, players can combat each other to grow their character as well as fight computer controlled characters. But when the players look at the rankings, should they NPC accounts be included.
      Without the NPC in the rankings, you could see that you are ranked #19, the player in #18 place is stronger than you by 5 levels, but when you go to fight the other characters that are your level, you cannot see #18 because he is too strong, so all you fight are the NPC and players weaker than you but with in your attack range. This could be misleading to the player as they feel they are stronger than they really are.
      And with NPC accounts in the rankings, player can really see how they rank up to other accounts that are as strong as them. They can see how many accounts stand between them and the next rank.
      On a side note, some NPC accounts are marked as NPC while others are not.
    • By antoniorv6
      Hi there!
      Well, as the subject describes itself. I would like to start in videogame music and composition.
      I do know some Music Theory and have some notions on how to play the piano, and also in my Degree we have some subjects refered to Sound and Music, but I would like to go a little bit deeper.
      Anyway, I'd like to know if it there is any site, course, or bibliography refered to all of this, even if it starts from the basic of the basics. Also would be interesting if it is there any good reference to study all the software related to the theme.
      It would be great if anyone could give me some advice, because now I am a little bit lost.
      Thank you!
    • By Wavinator
      "You can't call any one game design bad, really. Like all art, it either speaks to you or it doesn't. If it only speaks to a few, it's just niche."
      Some friends and I were arguing about esoteric game designs and whether or not you can ever really classify bad design objectively when one made the above assertion. I'm curious if you agree or disagree and why. Is a game design good simply because it is popular and therefore enjoyed, or as with narrative art are there underlying elements that a game can hit or miss, rendering it good or bad? If you don't like it, are you simply not the target audience?
      I'm of the mind that games make something of an aesthetic contract with players: Not simply 'this game is about shooting' or 'this game is about racing' but rather a series of promises that can be said to be embedded in all of the elements presented-- from the sound design to the UI to the mood and tone of the world presented and most importantly the interactions and responses given by the simulation itself. "I promise you the gritty, harsh reality of a Special Operator behind enemy lines" or "I promise you the zany, action-packed experience of rocket powered cars that launch balls into goals."
      To illustrate this idea, consider a perfect, hyper-realistic modern military stealth game. It's balanced, the levels are interesting and the choices offered are consistently engaging. Now make the UI bright & cartoony. A bit jarring? Swap the enemies with big, red nosed, ridiculous clowns. Gameplay is still the same, it might be funny, but did you originally buy it for funny? I would argue that the implied contract with your player is stretched to breaking or outright broken, and that THAT more than anything else, without some kind of upfront warning or easing of sensibilities, makes for bad design. 
      This breaking of the aesthetic contract with the player can extend right through the inclusion or exclusion and construction of gameplay elements itself. "Crafting is fun! Let's introduce wear and tear to weapons in our gritty Special Operator game and have the player hunt around the level for parts!" But you're a member of the best equipped, best prepared fighting force in the world. Doesn't this turn you into some kind of camouflaged, scavenging murder-hobo? I think it would break the contract, break the implicit expectations of everything that comes to mind when you think about "special forces" and thus blunder right into bad game design.
      What do you think?
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement

Looking for simple attack roll or skill roll mechanics

I'm writing a short article on game balance, specifically dealing with typical combat attributes, combat resolution systems, and how those values tie in to game balance, character progression, etc.

What I want are some examples of the "to hit" rolls, or skill checks, or other similar contests or evaluations (there must be a word for this!), so I can compare and classify them, along with their balance implications. It's important that the mechanic is documented or otherwise known, rather than just being an opaque "68% To Hit" or whatever.

They don't have to be from computer games; alongside some simple classic ones from Civilization and Age of Wonders, I'm also looking at the d20 attack roll from Dungeons and Dragons, a couple from Warhammer, etc.

The simplest I can think of is this: always hit. It's on the defender to evade the attack. Then it's a simple "roll a random number and see if it's within my evade parameter" check. As far as I know, this is how the Final Fantasy XIII games work. See the damage calculations here: http://www.ign.com/faqs/2010/final-fantasy-agito-xiii-damage-calculation-guide-1085648

The only example that I can think of that has "official" documentation is from Dragon Age II (from the Wikia site http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Attributes_(Dragon_Age_II)#Dexterity): "Your attack score is your chance of successfully hitting an enemy with a basic attack. The takes your attack percentage (derived from your primary attribute) and subtracts the enemy's defense and displacement percentages (if applicable). Attack scores are also modified against enemies of higher rank (-15% for a lieutenant and -30% against a boss). The final sum is the likelihood of success. If you fail to make your attack, you will strike a glancing blow that does 10% of your character's base damage."

Hope this helps!

There's also a good document about Final Fantasy X's Accuracy vs Evasion stats here: https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/197344-final-fantasy-x/faqs/31381

Also, Final Fantasy VII's Defense% stat: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Final_Fantasy_VII_stats#Defense.25

Side note: I promise I play more than just Final Fantasy and Dragon Age, I just happen to know where the places for their damage calculations are :P

When combat in RPGs where is not dependent on the motor skills of the player, I believe the combat comes down to resource management. Your main resource that you're trying to maintain is your Life Points. The various means that you have at your disposal to reduce your opponents life or support your own may have some limited number of uses or require consideration for the time it takes to implement their use (for example, you get one attack per turn).

A "To Hit" chance would then in effect become a rate of depletion, particularly on the Life Points.

In balancing a game, a designer's job is to determine expected rates of depletion for life points and other resources as the player moves his character from one location to another where presumably an opportunity will be provided to replenish resources and plan for the next leg of the journey.

Character progression in some ways increases the resources and options available to the player and thus opens the player to a number of ways to resolve combat, making it more interesting as the player progresses. However the balancing of the battles between two points is still about achieving the same effect which is finding a good rate of depletion of player resources as he progresses from one point to another.

The second Final Fantasy document has the sort of thing I'm looking for, although unfortunately it's full of special cases and hidden variables so it's too complex for my needs. I guess 10 iterations of a series will tend to do that...

Any other examples?