• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
grumpyOldDude

Java Pattern Matcher reads white space wrong

As my project is beginning to take shape, most of the problems I've encountered, I've been able to solve, but this latest one cunningly beats me, not because of any complexities but  because I don't know whats going on under the hood of the parser.

I am using a pattern matcher() Pattern.compile("\\d+");  - (in JAVA) - to extract and read floats,   but there were problems as white spaces are being interpreted as 0.0

but should, correctly, be something like this

808.0  472.0  36.0  202.0  18.0  24.0
782.0  96.0  36.0  202.0  18.0  24.0
909.0  1028.0  36.0  202.0  18.0  24.0
931.0  1149.0  36.0  202.0  18.0  24.0

It was wrong because it was making white space to be 0.0

As said It was wrong because it was making white space to be 0.0

My quick fix was to use an if statement that exclude 0.0.  

Well I got away with it until the inevitable began to happen,- some of the real data started turning out to be 0.0, so my if statement was excluding the  real data from being read.  Any help on how to get this fixed?  I need white space to be read as white space not as 0.0 

public void readDataFromSelectedTextFile( File fPathplusName  ){

List<Float> numbers = new LinkedList<Float>();
	   try {
				bufferedReader = new BufferedReader(new FileReader(fPathplusName));
				while ((stringObjectData = bufferedReader.readLine()) != null){
					Pattern p = Pattern.compile("\\d+");
					Matcher m = p.matcher(stringObjectData);
					while (m.find()) {
					  numbers.add(Float.parseFloat(m.group()));
					}
				}
				ListIterator<Float>  floatIterator = numbers.listIterator();			
				int i=0, t=7, n=0;
				float s, size=0;                         

while( floatIterator.hasNext() ){
			    	if( (s = floatIterator.next()) > 0 ){
                                      ...  plenty of good coding here ...
			    	}
			    }
		  } 
	      catch (FileNotFoundException e) {		
	    	  e.printStackTrace();
	      } 
	      catch (IOException e) {
	    	  e.printStackTrace();
	      }/**/
	}

Edited by grumpyOldDude

Advertisement

I don't think whitespace is your problem.

I think your problem is that \d "digit" doesn't match '.' characters (I use C# not Java, but regular expressions should be basically the same, shouldn't they?), so when you see x.y  your regular expression finds x, skips . and then returns a second match for y.

Try using "[0-9\\.]+" instead, or if you want to be more exact:  "[\\-\\+]?[0-9]*(\\.[0-9]+)?"  (but this does not include the 10E+5 syntax.  left as an exercise to the reader)

Edited by Nypyren

Oh dear, I completely forgot ...  Many thanks Nypyren,  your answer triggered further inspiration on how it works.  And so I replaced   Pattern p = Pattern.compile("\\d+");  with    Pattern p = Pattern.compile("\\d+\\.\\d+");   and  the algorithm read my data correctly. Thanks

Edited by grumpyOldDude

1 hour ago, grumpyOldDude said:

Oh dear, I completely forgot ...  Many thanks Nypyren,  your answer triggered further inspiration on how it works.  And so I replaced   Pattern p = Pattern.compile("\\d+");  with    Pattern p = Pattern.compile("\\d+\\.\\d+");   and  the algorithm read my data correctly. Thanks

This will probably break if you ever have negative values, or forget to put in the fractional part.  That may or may not be a problem, depending on what your data is here.

Nypren's more exact regex would get around that.

If I knew I had a file full of white-space delimited floats, I would probably not bother with trying to use a regex at all, and instead, what I would probably do would be something like (also a C# guy...):

var numbers = new List<float>();
var lines = File.ReadAllLines("whatever.txt");
float f;
foreach (var line in lines){
	var values = line.Split(new[]{' ', '\t', '\r', '\n'}, StringSplitOptions.RemoveEmptyEntries));
	foreach( var value in values ) {
		if (float.TryParse(value, out f)){
			numbers.Add(f);
		}
	}
}

The Jamie Zawinski quote gets thrown out probably more than it should, but...

"Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems."

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Similar Content

• By Inbar_xz
      I'm using the OPENGL with eclipse+JOGL.
      My goal is to create movement of the camera and the player.
      I create main class, which create some box in 3D and hold 
      an object of PlayerAxis.
      I create PlayerAxis class which hold the axis of the player.
      If we want to move the camera, then in the main class I call to 
      the func "cameraMove"(from PlayerAxis) and it update the player axis.
      That's work good.
      The problem start if I move the camera on 2 axis, 
      for example if I move with the camera right(that's on the y axis)
      and then down(on the x axis) -
      in some point the move front is not to the front anymore..
      In order to move to the front, I do
      player.playerMoving(0, 0, 1);
      And I learn that in order to keep the front move, 
      I need to convert (0, 0, 1) to the player axis, and then add this.
      I think I dont do the convert right.. 
      I will be glad for help!

Here is part of my PlayerAxis class:

//player coordinate float x[] = new float[3]; float y[] = new float[3]; float z[] = new float[3]; public PlayerAxis(float move_step, float angle_move) { x[0] = 1; y[1] = 1; z[2] = -1; step = move_step; angle = angle_move; setTransMatrix(); } public void cameraMoving(float angle_step, String axis) { float[] new_x = x; float[] new_y = y; float[] new_z = z; float alfa = angle_step * angle; switch(axis) { case "x": new_z = addVectors(multScalar(z, COS(alfa)), multScalar(y, SIN(alfa))); new_y = subVectors(multScalar(y, COS(alfa)), multScalar(z, SIN(alfa))); break; case "y": new_x = addVectors(multScalar(x, COS(alfa)), multScalar(z, SIN(alfa))); new_z = subVectors(multScalar(z, COS(alfa)), multScalar(x, SIN(alfa))); break; case "z": new_x = addVectors(multScalar(x, COS(alfa)), multScalar(y, SIN(alfa))); new_y = subVectors(multScalar(y, COS(alfa)), multScalar(x, SIN(alfa))); } x = new_x; y = new_y; z = new_z; normalization(); } public void playerMoving(float x_move, float y_move, float z_move) { float[] move = new float[3]; move[0] = x_move; move[1] = y_move; move[2] = z_move; setTransMatrix(); float[] trans_move = transVector(move); position[0] = position[0] + step*trans_move[0]; position[1] = position[1] + step*trans_move[1]; position[2] = position[2] + step*trans_move[2]; } public void setTransMatrix() { for (int i = 0; i < 3; i++) { coordiTrans[0][i] = x[i]; coordiTrans[1][i] = y[i]; coordiTrans[2][i] = z[i]; } } public float[] transVector(float[] v) { return multiplyMatrixInVector(coordiTrans, v); }  
      and in the main class i have this:

public void keyPressed(KeyEvent e) { if (e.getKeyCode()== KeyEvent.VK_ESCAPE) { System.exit(0); //player move } else if (e.getKeyCode()== KeyEvent.VK_W) { //front //moveAmount[2] += -0.1f; player.playerMoving(0, 0, 1); } else if (e.getKeyCode()== KeyEvent.VK_S) { //back //moveAmount[2] += 0.1f; player.playerMoving(0, 0, -1); } else if (e.getKeyCode()== KeyEvent.VK_A) { //left //moveAmount[0] += -0.1f; player.playerMoving(-1, 0, 0); } else if (e.getKeyCode()== KeyEvent.VK_D) { //right //moveAmount[0] += 0.1f; player.playerMoving(1, 0, 0); } else if (e.getKeyCode()== KeyEvent.VK_E) { //moveAmount[0] += 0.1f; player.playerMoving(0, 1, 0); } else if (e.getKeyCode()== KeyEvent.VK_Q) { //moveAmount[0] += 0.1f; player.playerMoving(0, -1, 0); //camera move } else if (e.getKeyCode()== KeyEvent.VK_I) { //up player.cameraMoving(1, "x"); } else if (e.getKeyCode()== KeyEvent.VK_K) { //down player.cameraMoving(-1, "x"); } else if (e.getKeyCode()== KeyEvent.VK_L) { //right player.cameraMoving(-1, "y"); } else if (e.getKeyCode()== KeyEvent.VK_J) { //left player.cameraMoving(1, "y"); } else if (e.getKeyCode()== KeyEvent.VK_O) { //right round player.cameraMoving(-1, "z"); } else if (e.getKeyCode()== KeyEvent.VK_U) { //left round player.cameraMoving(1, "z"); } }  
      finallt found it.... i confused with the transformation matrix row and col. thanks anyway!
    • By bojanzarnoski@gmx.de
      Hello,
      I want to get into coding again by programming a 2D platformer to get started, but i don't know if i should use Java or C# with the unity engine.
      I am pretty fit with Java, but with c# i have to start from scratch. What do you recommend and why?
    • By macmanmatty
      I'm still working on large RPG top down   game  that has  very large maps 500 x500 32 x 32 px  tiles  and there 5 of  these "land maps" each with three large buildings  of a   "200*200" tiled  map some with more than one map for each floor.  and shops taverns/ blacksmiths/ stables  / houses  with 20 x 20 or so tile maps.  Since you can have / control  more than one unit to optimize  the game  I was thinking  each map  ( land map, shop, tavern,  budiling ect.)  should have it's own game  loop. There would be a button created for each map you have units on to switch to that map   and when you switch them  one loop is paused  and the other one is activated? Is this a good idea?
    • By Alexander Winter
      Jumpaï is a game about creating platformer levels and playing them online with everyone. Will you become the most popular level maker or will you be a speedrunner holding world records on everyone's levels? More into casual play? No problem! You can happily play through the giant level database or chill at people's hub. Meet new people, make new friends, learn to master the game by asking pros or ask for people's favorite tricks on level making. Download here: https://jumpai.itch.io/jumpai Discord: https://discord.gg/dwRTNCG   Trailer:      (The following screenshots are older but still a bit representative)  

Unlike other games of its genre, Jumpaï is about playing levels with everyone in real time. You have the fun to see how other people are playing and get to realize you are not the only one failing that jump!

The game is currently into development and still have lots to do. I am looking for people willing to help how they can. Developer? Graphist? Play tester? Sound designer? Game designer? I'm welcoming any talent. The project is so big I have a lot of work to do in all areas. Server backend, UI/UX, Game networking, Gameplay and even the website some day. As you can see from the default buttons, the game has been made with LibGDX. This project is a perfect opportunity for you to get better in various fields as well as showing off your skills.

If you plan to take an important role into the development of the game, we will discuss how you will get paid once the game generates money. Note that I'm not working on the game full-time. I'm studying full-time and working on it is a hobby. The project has started in november 2016 and experiences heavy progress.

So, are you interested? If so join me on my discord https://discord.gg/dwRTNCG and I'll answer all your questions.

Additionnal screenshots:

• By Coa
      Hello! I’m a programmer from Denmark currently putting together a team of amateurs to help develop my current project. It is a war simulation game, HOWEVER, it is not like anything else currently on the market. If you would like to hear more about my project, message me on discord, or if you would like to join,  do the same.
      You do not need to be a professional, as this is solely a learning experience for everyone involved.
      The positions I am seeking go as follows:
      - 3D Modeler
      - 2D Artist
      - Musical Composer
      - Game Designer
      - Level Designer

Discord: Coa#0698
    • By Psychopathetica
      Not long ago, I create a nice OBJ loader that loads 3D Studio Max files. Only problem is, is that although it works and works great, I wasn't using Vertex Buffers. Now that I applied Vertex Buffers, it seems to only use the first color of the texture and spread it all across the poiygon. I examined my code over and over again, and the Vertex Buffer code is correct. But when I comment out all of my vertex buffer code, it works as intended. I practically given up on fixing it on my own, so hopefully you guys will be able to figure out what is wrong.
      public static final int BYTES_PER_FLOAT = 4; public static final int POSITION_COMPONENT_COUNT_3D = 4; public static final int COLOR_COMPONENT_COUNT = 4; public static final int TEXTURE_COORDINATES_COMPONENT_COUNT = 2; public static final int NORMAL_COMPONENT_COUNT = 3; public static final int POSITION_COMPONENT_STRIDE_2D = POSITION_COMPONENT_COUNT_2D * BYTES_PER_FLOAT; public static final int POSITION_COMPONENT_STRIDE_3D = POSITION_COMPONENT_COUNT_3D * BYTES_PER_FLOAT; public static final int COLOR_COMPONENT_STRIDE = COLOR_COMPONENT_COUNT * BYTES_PER_FLOAT; public static final int TEXTURE_COORDINATE_COMPONENT_STRIDE = TEXTURE_COORDINATES_COMPONENT_COUNT * BYTES_PER_FLOAT; public static final int NORMAL_COMPONENT_STRIDE = NORMAL_COMPONENT_COUNT * BYTES_PER_FLOAT; int loadFile() { ArrayList<Vertex3D> tempVertexArrayList = new ArrayList<Vertex3D>(); ArrayList<TextureCoord2D> tempTextureCoordArrayList = new ArrayList<TextureCoord2D>(); ArrayList<Vector3D> tempNormalArrayList = new ArrayList<Vector3D>(); ArrayList<Face3D> tempFaceArrayList = new ArrayList<Face3D>(); StringBuilder body = new StringBuilder(); try { InputStream inputStream = context.getResources().openRawResource(resourceID); InputStreamReader inputStreamReader = new InputStreamReader(inputStream); BufferedReader bufferedReader = new BufferedReader(inputStreamReader); String nextLine; String subString; String[] stringArray; String[] stringArray2; int[] indexNumberList = new int[3]; int[] textureCoordNumberList = new int[3]; int[] normalNumberList = new int[3]; int i = 0; int j = 0; int k = 0; try { while ((nextLine = bufferedReader.readLine()) != null) { if (nextLine.startsWith("v ")) { subString = nextLine.substring(1).trim(); stringArray = subString.split(" "); try { tempVertexArrayList.add(new Vertex3D(Float.parseFloat(stringArray[0]), Float.parseFloat(stringArray[1]), Float.parseFloat(stringArray[2]), 1f)); } catch(NumberFormatException e){ Log.d(TAG, "Error: Invalid number format in loading vertex list"); return 0; } String x = String.valueOf(tempVertexArrayList.get(i).x); String y = String.valueOf(tempVertexArrayList.get(i).y); String z = String.valueOf(tempVertexArrayList.get(i).z); //Log.d(TAG, "vertex " + String.valueOf(i) + ": " + x + ", " + y + ", " + z); i++; } if (nextLine.startsWith("vn ")) { subString = nextLine.substring(2).trim(); stringArray = subString.split(" "); try { if(reverseNormals){ tempNormalArrayList.add(new Vector3D(-Float.parseFloat(stringArray[0]), -Float.parseFloat(stringArray[1]), -Float.parseFloat(stringArray[2]))); } else{ tempNormalArrayList.add(new Vector3D(Float.parseFloat(stringArray[0]), Float.parseFloat(stringArray[1]), Float.parseFloat(stringArray[2]))); } } catch(NumberFormatException e){ Log.d(TAG, "Error: Invalid number format in loading normal list"); return 0; } String nx = String.valueOf(tempNormalArrayList.get(j).x); String ny = String.valueOf(tempNormalArrayList.get(j).y); String nz = String.valueOf(tempNormalArrayList.get(j).z); //Log.d(TAG, "normal " + String.valueOf(j) + ": " + nx + ", " + ny + ", " + nz); j++; } if (nextLine.startsWith("vt ")) { subString = nextLine.substring(2).trim(); stringArray = subString.split(" "); try { tempTextureCoordArrayList.add(new TextureCoord2D(Float.parseFloat(stringArray[0]), Float.parseFloat(stringArray[1]))); } catch(NumberFormatException e){ Log.d(TAG, "Error: Invalid number format in loading texture coordinate list"); return 0; } String tu = String.valueOf(tempTextureCoordArrayList.get(k).tu); String tv = String.valueOf(tempTextureCoordArrayList.get(k).tv); //Log.d(TAG, "texture coord " + String.valueOf(k) + ": " + tu + ", " + tv); k++; } if (nextLine.startsWith("f ")) { subString = nextLine.substring(1).trim(); stringArray = subString.split(" "); for (int index = 0; index <= 2; index++) { stringArray2 = stringArray[index].split("/"); try { indexNumberList[index] = Integer.parseInt(stringArray2[0]) - 1; if(indexNumberList[index] < 0){ Log.d(TAG, "Error: indexNumberList[] is less than zero"); return 0; } } catch(NumberFormatException e){ Log.d(TAG, "Error: Invalid number format in loading indexNumberList[]"); return 0; } try{ textureCoordNumberList[index] = Integer.parseInt(stringArray2[1]) - 1; if(textureCoordNumberList[index] < 0){ Log.d(TAG, "Error: textureCoordNumberList[] is less than zero"); return 0; } } catch(NumberFormatException e){ Log.d(TAG, "Error: Invalid number format in loading textureCoordNumberList[]"); return 0; } try{ normalNumberList[index] = Integer.parseInt(stringArray2[2]) - 1; if(normalNumberList[index] < 0){ Log.d(TAG, "Error: normalNumberList[] is less than zero"); return 0; } } catch(NumberFormatException e){ Log.d(TAG, "Error: Invalid number format in loading normalNumberList[]"); return 0; } } tempFaceArrayList.add(new Face3D(indexNumberList[0], textureCoordNumberList[0], normalNumberList[0], indexNumberList[1], textureCoordNumberList[1], normalNumberList[1], indexNumberList[2], textureCoordNumberList[2], normalNumberList[2])); } body.append(nextLine); body.append('\n'); } //Now that everything has successfully loaded, you can now populate the public variables. if(tempVertexArrayList != null && tempVertexArrayList.size() != 0) vertexArrayList.addAll(tempVertexArrayList); if(tempTextureCoordArrayList != null && tempTextureCoordArrayList.size() != 0) textureCoordArrayList.addAll(tempTextureCoordArrayList); if(tempNormalArrayList != null && tempNormalArrayList.size() != 0) normalArrayList.addAll(tempNormalArrayList); if(tempFaceArrayList != null && tempFaceArrayList.size() != 0) faceArrayList.addAll(tempFaceArrayList); vertexList = new float[faceArrayList.size() * POSITION_COMPONENT_COUNT_3D * NUMBER_OF_SIDES_PER_FACE]; indexList = new short[faceArrayList.size() * NUMBER_OF_SIDES_PER_FACE]; colorList = new float[faceArrayList.size() * COLOR_COMPONENT_COUNT * NUMBER_OF_SIDES_PER_FACE]; textureCoordList = new float[faceArrayList.size() * TEXTURE_COORDINATES_COMPONENT_COUNT * NUMBER_OF_SIDES_PER_FACE]; normalList = new float[faceArrayList.size() * NORMAL_COMPONENT_COUNT * NUMBER_OF_SIDES_PER_FACE]; int nextFace = 0; int step = POSITION_COMPONENT_COUNT_3D * NUMBER_OF_SIDES_PER_FACE; for (int currentVertex = 0; currentVertex < vertexList.length; currentVertex += step){ vertexList[currentVertex + 0] = vertexArrayList.get(faceArrayList.get(nextFace).indexNumberList.get(0)).x; vertexList[currentVertex + 1] = vertexArrayList.get(faceArrayList.get(nextFace).indexNumberList.get(0)).y; vertexList[currentVertex + 2] = vertexArrayList.get(faceArrayList.get(nextFace).indexNumberList.get(0)).z; vertexList[currentVertex + 3] = vertexArrayList.get(faceArrayList.get(nextFace).indexNumberList.get(0)).w; vertexList[currentVertex + 4] = vertexArrayList.get(faceArrayList.get(nextFace).indexNumberList.get(1)).x; vertexList[currentVertex + 5] = vertexArrayList.get(faceArrayList.get(nextFace).indexNumberList.get(1)).y; vertexList[currentVertex + 6] = vertexArrayList.get(faceArrayList.get(nextFace).indexNumberList.get(1)).z; vertexList[currentVertex + 7] = vertexArrayList.get(faceArrayList.get(nextFace).indexNumberList.get(1)).w; vertexList[currentVertex + 8] = vertexArrayList.get(faceArrayList.get(nextFace).indexNumberList.get(2)).x; vertexList[currentVertex + 9] = vertexArrayList.get(faceArrayList.get(nextFace).indexNumberList.get(2)).y; vertexList[currentVertex + 10] = vertexArrayList.get(faceArrayList.get(nextFace).indexNumberList.get(2)).z; vertexList[currentVertex + 11] = vertexArrayList.get(faceArrayList.get(nextFace).indexNumberList.get(2)).w; nextFace++; } numberOfVertices = vertexList.length / POSITION_COMPONENT_COUNT_3D; nextFace = 0; for (int currentIndex = 0; currentIndex < indexList.length; currentIndex += NUMBER_OF_SIDES_PER_FACE){ indexList[currentIndex + 0] = faceArrayList.get(nextFace).indexNumberList.get(0).shortValue(); indexList[currentIndex + 1] = faceArrayList.get(nextFace).indexNumberList.get(1).shortValue(); indexList[currentIndex + 2] = faceArrayList.get(nextFace).indexNumberList.get(2).shortValue(); } step = COLOR_COMPONENT_COUNT * NUMBER_OF_SIDES_PER_FACE; for (int currentVertex = 0; currentVertex < colorList.length; currentVertex += step){ colorList[currentVertex + 0] = red; colorList[currentVertex + 1] = green; colorList[currentVertex + 2] = blue; colorList[currentVertex + 3] = alpha; colorList[currentVertex + 4] = red; colorList[currentVertex + 5] = green; colorList[currentVertex + 6] = blue; colorList[currentVertex + 7] = alpha; colorList[currentVertex + 8] = red; colorList[currentVertex + 9] = green; colorList[currentVertex + 10] = blue; colorList[currentVertex + 11] = alpha; } nextFace = 0; step = TEXTURE_COORDINATES_COMPONENT_COUNT * NUMBER_OF_SIDES_PER_FACE; for (int currentVertex = 0; currentVertex < textureCoordList.length; currentVertex += step){ textureCoordList[currentVertex + 0] = textureCoordArrayList.get(faceArrayList.get(nextFace).textureCoordNumberList.get(0)).tu * mult; textureCoordList[currentVertex + 1] = textureCoordArrayList.get(faceArrayList.get(nextFace).textureCoordNumberList.get(0)).tv * mult; textureCoordList[currentVertex + 2] = textureCoordArrayList.get(faceArrayList.get(nextFace).textureCoordNumberList.get(1)).tu * mult; textureCoordList[currentVertex + 3] = textureCoordArrayList.get(faceArrayList.get(nextFace).textureCoordNumberList.get(1)).tv * mult; textureCoordList[currentVertex + 4] = textureCoordArrayList.get(faceArrayList.get(nextFace).textureCoordNumberList.get(2)).tu * mult; textureCoordList[currentVertex + 5] = textureCoordArrayList.get(faceArrayList.get(nextFace).textureCoordNumberList.get(2)).tv * mult; nextFace++; } nextFace = 0; step = NORMAL_COMPONENT_COUNT * NUMBER_OF_SIDES_PER_FACE; for (int currentVertex = 0; currentVertex < normalList.length; currentVertex += step){ normalList[currentVertex + 0] = normalArrayList.get(faceArrayList.get(nextFace).normalNumberList.get(0)).x; normalList[currentVertex + 1] = normalArrayList.get(faceArrayList.get(nextFace).normalNumberList.get(0)).y; normalList[currentVertex + 2] = normalArrayList.get(faceArrayList.get(nextFace).normalNumberList.get(0)).z; normalList[currentVertex + 3] = normalArrayList.get(faceArrayList.get(nextFace).normalNumberList.get(1)).x; normalList[currentVertex + 4] = normalArrayList.get(faceArrayList.get(nextFace).normalNumberList.get(1)).y; normalList[currentVertex + 5] = normalArrayList.get(faceArrayList.get(nextFace).normalNumberList.get(1)).z; normalList[currentVertex + 6] = normalArrayList.get(faceArrayList.get(nextFace).normalNumberList.get(2)).x; normalList[currentVertex + 7] = normalArrayList.get(faceArrayList.get(nextFace).normalNumberList.get(2)).y; normalList[currentVertex + 8] = normalArrayList.get(faceArrayList.get(nextFace).normalNumberList.get(2)).z; nextFace++; } vertexBuffer = ByteBuffer.allocateDirect(vertexList.length * BYTES_PER_FLOAT).order(ByteOrder.nativeOrder()).asFloatBuffer(); indexBuffer = ByteBuffer.allocateDirect(indexList.length * BYTES_PER_FLOAT).order(ByteOrder.nativeOrder()).asShortBuffer(); colorBuffer = ByteBuffer.allocateDirect(colorList.length * BYTES_PER_FLOAT).order(ByteOrder.nativeOrder()).asFloatBuffer(); textureCoordBuffer = ByteBuffer.allocateDirect(textureCoordList.length * BYTES_PER_FLOAT).order(ByteOrder.nativeOrder()).asFloatBuffer(); normalBuffer = ByteBuffer.allocateDirect(normalList.length * BYTES_PER_FLOAT).order(ByteOrder.nativeOrder()).asFloatBuffer(); vertexBuffer.put(vertexList).position(0); indexBuffer.put(indexList).position(0); colorBuffer.put(colorList).position(0); textureCoordBuffer.put(textureCoordList).position(0); normalBuffer.put(normalList).position(0); createVertexBuffer(); uMVPMatrixHandle = glGetUniformLocation(program, U_MVPMATRIX); uMVMatrixHandle = glGetUniformLocation(program, U_MVMATRIX); uTextureUnitHandle = glGetUniformLocation(program, U_TEXTURE_UNIT); aPositionHandle = glGetAttribLocation(program, A_POSITION); aColorHandle = glGetAttribLocation(program, A_COLOR); aTextureCoordinateHandle = glGetAttribLocation(program, A_TEXTURE_COORDINATES); aNormalHandle = glGetAttribLocation(program, A_NORMAL); glEnableVertexAttribArray(aPositionHandle); glEnableVertexAttribArray(aColorHandle); glEnableVertexAttribArray(aTextureCoordinateHandle); glEnableVertexAttribArray(aNormalHandle); glActiveTexture(GL_TEXTURE0); glUniform1i(uTextureUnitHandle, 0); } catch(IOException e){ } } catch (Resources.NotFoundException nfe){ throw new RuntimeException("Resource not found: " + resourceID, nfe); } return 1; } public void draw(){ glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST); bindData(); glBindBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, vertexBufferObject[0]); glDrawArrays(GL_TRIANGLES, 0, faceArrayList.size() * NUMBER_OF_SIDES_PER_FACE); glBindBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, 0); } public void bindData(){ int offset = 0; glBindBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, vertexBufferObject[0]); glVertexAttribPointer(aPositionHandle, POSITION_COMPONENT_COUNT_3D, GL_FLOAT, false, POSITION_COMPONENT_STRIDE_3D, offset); offset += POSITION_COMPONENT_COUNT_3D; glVertexAttribPointer(aColorHandle, COLOR_COMPONENT_COUNT, GL_FLOAT, false, COLOR_COMPONENT_STRIDE, numberOfVertices * offset * BYTES_PER_FLOAT); offset += COLOR_COMPONENT_COUNT; glVertexAttribPointer(aTextureCoordinateHandle, TEXTURE_COORDINATES_COMPONENT_COUNT, GL_FLOAT, false, TEXTURE_COORDINATE_COMPONENT_STRIDE, numberOfVertices * offset * BYTES_PER_FLOAT); offset += TEXTURE_COORDINATES_COMPONENT_COUNT; glVertexAttribPointer(aNormalHandle, NORMAL_COMPONENT_COUNT, GL_FLOAT, false, NORMAL_COMPONENT_STRIDE, numberOfVertices * offset * BYTES_PER_FLOAT); glBindBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, 0); ///////////////////////////////////////////////////// /* vertexBuffer.position(0); glVertexAttribPointer(aPositionHandle, POSITION_COMPONENT_COUNT_3D, GL_FLOAT, false, POSITION_COMPONENT_STRIDE_3D, vertexBuffer); colorBuffer.position(0); glVertexAttribPointer(aColorHandle, COLOR_COMPONENT_COUNT, GL_FLOAT, false, COLOR_COMPONENT_STRIDE, colorBuffer); textureCoordBuffer.position(0); glVertexAttribPointer(aTextureCoordinateHandle, TEXTURE_COORDINATES_COMPONENT_COUNT, GL_FLOAT, false, TEXTURE_COORDINATE_COMPONENT_STRIDE, textureCoordBuffer); normalBuffer.position(0); glVertexAttribPointer(aNormalHandle, NORMAL_COMPONENT_COUNT, GL_FLOAT, false, NORMAL_COMPONENT_STRIDE, normalBuffer); */ } public void createVertexBuffer(){ glGenBuffers(1, vertexBufferObject, 0); glBindBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, vertexBufferObject[0]); glBufferData(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER,numberOfVertices * (POSITION_COMPONENT_COUNT_3D + COLOR_COMPONENT_COUNT + TEXTURE_COORDINATES_COMPONENT_COUNT + NORMAL_COMPONENT_COUNT) * BYTES_PER_FLOAT, null, GL_STATIC_DRAW); int offset = 0; glBufferSubData(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, offset, numberOfVertices * POSITION_COMPONENT_COUNT_3D * BYTES_PER_FLOAT, vertexBuffer); offset += POSITION_COMPONENT_COUNT_3D; glBufferSubData(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, numberOfVertices * offset * BYTES_PER_FLOAT, numberOfVertices * COLOR_COMPONENT_COUNT * BYTES_PER_FLOAT, colorBuffer); offset += COLOR_COMPONENT_COUNT; glBufferSubData(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, numberOfVertices * offset * BYTES_PER_FLOAT, numberOfVertices * TEXTURE_COORDINATES_COMPONENT_COUNT * BYTES_PER_FLOAT, textureCoordBuffer); offset += TEXTURE_COORDINATES_COMPONENT_COUNT; glBufferSubData(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, numberOfVertices * offset * BYTES_PER_FLOAT, numberOfVertices * NORMAL_COMPONENT_COUNT * BYTES_PER_FLOAT, normalBuffer); glBindBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, 0); }  
    • By StepperDox
      I've been digging around online and can't seem to find any formulas for 3D mesh simplification. I'm not sure where to start but I generally want to know how I could make a function that takes in an array of vertices, indices, and a float/double for the decimation rate. And could I preserve the general shape of the object too?
      Thanks for the help!
      P.S. I was hoping to do something with Quadric Error / Quadric Edge Collapse if that's possible.
    • By Simla
      I'm programing a game with mario in Java. When I run the code, it does not give an error, but the character does not move. I checked every bit but I could not find the error. I left the codes down.  What should I do? 

Oyun.class
      OyunEkrani.class
    • By SvelterEagle
      Hello, this is my first post here and also first time submitting my own code for review. I hear submitting code for others to see is a good way for you to improve and also see other solutions to  problems, so here I am. I made myself a GitHub account and submitted my code there, which I guess is the proper way to submit code for others to see (?.
      Some background info: I'm a young adult and want to make a career out of game development. In my path to creating games of my own, I found the best way to learn bases is to copy already existing old games and understand their logic, so I started with Pong. (You can probably tell this won't be my last post here from that :P)
      Here is the github repository link (Pong). As I said, this is my first time posting and submitting code, so if I made any mistake, please tell. And thanks in advance to anyone helping me in this journey
    • By miimii1205
      I recently worked on a path-finding algorithm used to move an AI agent into an organically generated dungeon.
      It's not an easy task but because I've already worked on Team Fortress 2 cards in the past, I already knew navigation meshes (navmesh) and their capabilities.
      Why Not Waypoints?
      As described in this paper, waypoint networks were in the past used in video games to save valuable resources. It was an acceptable compromise : level designers already knew where NPCs could and could not go. However, as technology has evolved, computers got more memory that became faster and cheaper.
      In other words, there was a shift from efficiency to flexibility.
      In a way, navigation meshes are the evolution of waypoints networks because they fulfill the same need but in a different way.
      One of the advantages of using a navigation mesh is that an agent can go anywhere in a cell as long as it is convex because it is essentially the definition of convex. It also means that the agent is not limited to a specific waypoint network, so if the destination is out of the waypoint network, it can go directly to it instead of going to the nearest point in the network. A navigation mesh can also be used by many types of agents of different sizes, rather than having many waypoint networks for agents of different sizes.
      Using a navigation mesh also speeds up graph exploration because, technically, a navigation mesh has fewer nodes than an equivalent waypoint network (that is, a network that has enough points to cover a navigation mesh).
      The navigation mesh Graph
      To summarize, a navigation mesh is a mesh that represents where an NPC can walk. A navigation mesh contains convex polygonal nodes (called cells). Each cell can be connected to each other using connections defined by an edge shared between them (or portal edge). In a navigation mesh, each cell can contain information about itself. For example, a cell may be labeled as toxic, and therefore only those units capable of resisting this toxicity can move across it.
      Personally, because of my experience, I view navigation meshes like the ones found in most Source games.

However, all cells in Source's navigation meshes are rectangular. Our implementation is more flexible because the cells can be irregular polygons (as long as they're convex).
      Navigation Meshes In practice
      A navigation mesh implementation is actually three algorithms :
      A graph navigation algorithm A string pulling algorithm And a steering/path-smoothing algorithm In our cases, we used A*, the simple stupid funnel algorithm and a traditional steering algorithm that is still in development.
      Finding our cells
      Before doing any graph searches, we need to find 2 things :
      Our starting cell Our destination cell For example, let's use this navigation mesh :

In this navigation meshes, every edge that are shared between 2 cells are also portal edges, which will be used by the string pulling algorithm later on.
      Also, let's use these points as our starting and destination points:

Where our buddy (let's name it Buddy) stands is our staring point, while the flag represents our destination.
      Because we already have our starting point and our destination point, we just need to check which cell is closest to each point using an octree. Once we know our nearest cells, we must project the starting and destination points onto their respective closest cells.
      In practice, we do a simple projection of both our starting and destination points onto the normal of their respective cells. 
      Before snapping a projected point, we must first know if the said projected point is outside its cell by finding the difference between the area of the cell and the sum of the areas of the triangles formed by that point and each edge of the cell. If the latter is remarkably larger than the first, the point is outside its cell.
      The snapping then simply consists of interpolating between the vertices of the edge of the cell closest to the projected point. In terms of code, we do this:
      Vector3f lineToPoint = pointToProject.subtract(start); Vector3f line = end.subtract(start); Vector3f returnedVector3f = new Vector3f().interpolateLocal(start, end, lineToPoint.dot(line) / line.dot(line)); In our example, the starting and destination cells are C1 and C8 respectively:

Graph Search Algorithm
      A navigation mesh is actually a 2D grid of an unknown or infinite size. In a 3D game, it is common to represent a navigation mesh graph as a graph of flat polygons that aren't orthogonal to each other.
      There are games that use 3D navigation meshes, like games that use flying AI, but in our case it's a simple grid.
      For this reason, the use of the A* algorithm is probably the right solution.
      We chose A* because it's the most generic and flexible algorithm. Technically, we still do not know how our navigation mesh will be used, so going with something more generic can have its benefits...
      A* works by assigning a cost and a heuristic to a cell. The closer the cell is to our destination, the less expensive it is. The heuristic is calculated similarly but we also take into account the heuristics of the previous cell. This means that the longer a path is, the greater the resulting heuristic will be, and it becomes more likely that this path is not an optimal one.
      We begin the algorithm by traversing through the connections each of the neighboring cells of the current cell until we arrive at the end cell, doing a sort of exploration / filling. Each cell begins with an infinite heuristic but, as we explore the mesh, it's updated according to the information we learn. In the beginning, our starting cell gets a cost and a heuristic of 0 because the agent is already inside of it.
      We keep a queue in descending order of cells based on their heuristics. This means that the next cell to use as the current cell is the best candidate for an optimal path. When a cell is being processed, it is removed from that queue in another one that contains the closed cells.
      While continuing to explore, we also keep a reference of the connection used to move from the current cell to its neighbor. This will be useful later.
      We do it until we end up in the destination cell. Then, we "reel" up to our starting cell and save each cell we landed on, which gives an optimal path.
      A* is a very popular algorithm and the pseudocode can easily be found. Even Wikipedia has a pseudocode that is easy to understand.
      In our example, we find that this is our path:

And here are highlighted (in pink) the traversed connections:

The String Pulling Algorithm
      String pulling is the next step in the navigation mesh algorithm. Now that we have a queue of cells that describes an optimal path, we have to find a queue of points that an AI agent can travel to. This is where the sting pulling is needed.
      String pulling is in fact not linked to characters at all : it is rather a metaphor.
      Imagine a cross. Let's say that you wrap a silk thread around this cross and you put tension on it. You will find that the string does not follow the inner corner of it, but rather go from corner to corner of each point of the cross.

This is precisely what we're doing but with a string that goes from one point to another.
      There are many different algorithms that lets us to do this. We chose the Simple Stupid Funnel algorithm because it's actually...
      ...stupidly simple.
      To put it simply (no puns intended), we create a funnel that checks each time if the next point is in the funnel or not. The funnel is composed of 3 points: a central apex, a left point (called left apex) and a right point (called right apex). At the beginning, the tested point is on the right side, then we alternate to the left and so on until we reach our point of destination. (as if we were walking)

When a point is in the funnel, we continue the algorithm with the other side.
      If the point is outside the funnel, depending on which side the tested point belongs to, we take the apex from the other side of the funnel and add it to a list of final waypoints.
      The algorithm is working correctly most of the time. However, the algorithm had a bug that add the last point twice if none of the vertices of the last connection before the destination point were added to the list of final waypoints. We just added an if at the moment but we could come back later to optimize it.
      In our case, the funnel algorithm gives this path:

The Steering Algoritm
      Now that we have a list of waypoints, we can finally just run our character at every point.
      But if there were walls in our geometry, then Buddy would run right into a corner wall. He won't be able to reach his destination because he isn't small enough to avoid the corner walls.
      That's the role of the steering algorithm.
      Our algorithm is still in heavy development, but its main gist is that we check if the next position of the agent is not in the navigation meshes. If that's the case, then we change its direction so that the agent doesn't hit the wall like an idiot. There is also a path curving algorithm, but it's still too early to know if we'll use that at all...
      We relied on this good document to program the steering algorithm. It's a 1999 document, but it's still interesting ...
      With the steering algoritm, we make sure that Buddy moves safely to his destination. (Look how proud he is!)

So, this is the navigation mesh algorithm.
      I must say that, throughout my research, there weren't much pseudocode or code that described the algorithm as a whole. Only then did we realize that what people called "Navmesh" was actually a collage of algorithms rather than a single monolithic one.
      We also tried to have a cyclic grid with orthogonal cells (i.e. cells on the wall, ceiling) but it looked like that A* wasn't intended to be used in a 3D environment with flat orthogonal cells. My hypothesis is that we need 3D cells for this kind of navigation mesh, otherwise the heuristic value of each cell can change depending on the actual 3D length between the center of a flat cell and the destination point.
      So we reduced the scope of our navigation meshes and we were able to move an AI agent in our organic dungeon. Here's a picture :

Each cyan cubes are the final waypoints found by the String pulling and blue lines represents collisions meshes. Our AI is currently still walking into walls, but the steering is still being implemented.
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!