• Advertisement

to_lower function entering an infinite loop

I am super confused by this...

I was in the middle of an experiment, maybe is just that I am tired and I'm missing the obvious here (so facepalm is ready), but things are not working as expected, Image below (I'll also paste the code in case you want to try it out yourself)

#include <iostream>
#include <ostream>
using namespace std;

void to_lower(char* s)
{
	char* text = s;
	while (s != '\0')
	{
		char letter = *s;
		if (letter > 'A' && letter < 'Z')
		{
			*s = 'a' + (letter - 'A');
		}
		s++;
	}
	cout << text << endl;
}

int main()
{
	char* text = new char[12] {"Hello World"};
	to_lower(text);
	delete[] text;
	return 0;
}

As you see in the debug image, the content of s[0] is 'l', but "char letter = *s;" is yelding a 'e'...what is this madness?! O_O

Untitled-1.png

EDIT: forget what I asked above, I just understood that the yellow arrow means that the line isn't executed yet, I just had to step forward once :|

So, since that question turned useless I renamed this topic and I have a new question: my function enters an infinite loop.

Apparently the test "while (s != '\0')" is not good because when s points to '\0', the content of s is "" according to the debugger... so how do I test for '\0'? :P

Edited by MarcusAseth

Advertisement

You're comparing a pointer, i.e. a memory address, against what you're expecting to see when dereferencing the pointer, i.e. the number 0 or '\0'. You need to dereference the pointer.

Also, your if statement is wrong.

And, you're wasting your time duplicating a standard language function.

10 minutes ago, Kylotan said:

You're comparing a pointer, i.e. a memory address, against what you're expecting to see when dereferencing the pointer, i.e. the number 0 or '\0'. You need to dereference the pointer.

Also, your if statement is wrong.

And, you're wasting your time duplicating a standard language function.

ops, missed that dereference in the while, I knew I was tired x_x

Fixed my >= and <= , thanks! :D

I disagree on the last point though, I don't think this time is wasted, we are probably assigning value to different things :P

Edited by MarcusAseth

9 minutes ago, Alpha_ProgDes said:

Though you wouldn't do this in production code, I agree you should know/understand how to handle pointers.

Exactly my goal here :P

What I'm currently writing is probably ugly and a bit buggy, but I'm getting useful practice, today first time I use const_cast and write my template, so...IMPROVEMENT (for better or worse...):D

char* findx(const char* s, const char* x)
{
	if(s == nullptr || x == nullptr)
	{ return nullptr; }

char* Tmp = const_cast<char*>(x);
	int FindSize = 0;
	while (*Tmp++ != '\0') { FindSize++; };

int ID = 0;
	int firstOccurrence = 0;
	bool isMatch = false;

while (s[ID] != '\0')
	{
		if (s[ID] == x[0])
		{
			firstOccurrence = ID;
			for (size_t i = 0; i < FindSize; i++)
			{
				if (s[ID + i] != x[i]) { break; }
				if (i == FindSize - 1) { isMatch = true; }
			}
			if (isMatch) { break; }
		}
		ID++;
	}
	return (isMatch ? const_cast<char*>(s) + firstOccurrence : nullptr);
}

Edited by MarcusAseth

Using const cast looks horribly wrong, "find" shouldn't change the string!

You have "char *tmp" and return a "char *",  change that to "const char *" too.

At a higher level, you are accepting const char * values as parameters, users don't expect that you break your promise, and sneakily return a modifiable point in their const string as return value.

Edited by Alberth

The Exercise in the book I'm following gave as only instructions:

Write a function, char* findx(const char* s, const char* x), that finds the first occurrence of the C-style string x in s.

I don't know how to return a char* out of a const char*, so I tried removing the const, just to fullfill the assignment :P

Edited by MarcusAseth

Here you go friend

//take two char* (strings) and return char* to first occurence of second string
char* findx(char* str, char* strx ) {

if (!str || !strx) return nullptr;

char* found = nullptr;

for (int s = 0, x = 0; str[s] != '\0' && strx[x] != '\0'; s++) {

if (str[s] == strx[x]) {
			if( !found ) found = &str[s];
			x++;
		} else {
			found = nullptr;
			x = 0;
		}
	}

return found;
}

11 hours ago, MarcusAseth said:

@h8CplusplusGuru much more clean/compact than mine, regardless if I had done it without the const char required by the exercise, thanks for showing me

Except that code doesn't find "abac" in the string "ababac". Correctness matters.

lol xD 

Edit: since my lol above was downvoted, I realize it is kind of ambigous and possibly gives the wrong impression of what I laughed about, to put it in context: : it was because the other day I was saying to @h8CplusplusGuru that in my opinion the benefit of the forum was that anyone can correct each other and be corrected so that who's learning has more chance to get the correct informations. My lol was on the lines of "I knew it!"/"I said it"- don't hate pls :D

Edited by MarcusAseth

On 9/14/2017 at 10:45 AM, alvaro said:

Except that code doesn't find "abac" in the string "ababac". Correctness matters.

I thought it was odd that there was only one loop!  Regardless, it was my intention to show that he's mostly poking around in the dark.

On 9/14/2017 at 10:59 AM, MarcusAseth said:

lol xD 

Edit: since my lol above was downvoted, I realize it is kind of ambigous and possibly gives the wrong impression of what I laughed about, to put it in context: : it was because the other day I was saying to @h8CplusplusGuru that in my opinion the benefit of the forum was that anyone can correct each other and be corrected so that who's learning has more chance to get the correct informations. My lol was on the lines of "I knew it!"/"I said it"- don't hate pls :D

I think the first line of what I had said was that forums such a gamedev are always around.

//take two char* (strings) and return char* to first occurence of second string
char* findx(char* str, char* strx ) {

if (!str || !strx) return nullptr;

for (int s = 0; str[s] != '\0'; s++) {

if (str[s] != strx[0]) continue;

char* found = &str[s];

int x = 0;
		for ( x=1; strx[x] != '\0' && str[s + x] != '\0'; x++) {
			if (str[s + x] != strx[x]) 
				break;
		}
		if (strx[x] == '\0') return found;
	}

return nullptr; 
}

Anyways, If you ever need a flashlight =)

1 hour ago, h8CplusplusGuru said:

I thought it was odd that there was only one loop!  Regardless, it was my intention to show that he's mostly poking around in the dark.

Well it wasn't odd, you could do it with a single loop, I just did it out of curiosity to discover if I could do it. Seems I can :D
Let me know if you find any logic bug though, just to be sure this is viable.

char* findx(char* s, char* x)
{
	if (s == nullptr || x == nullptr) { return nullptr; }

int Incremented = 0;
	for (; *s != '\0'; s++)
	{
       		if (*x == '\0') { break; }
		if (*s == *x)
		{
			x++;
			Incremented++;
			continue;
		}
		else
		{
			x -= Incremented;
			s -= Incremented;
			Incremented = 0;
		}
	}
	return (*x == '\0') ? s -= Incremented : nullptr;
}

Edited by MarcusAseth

As a matter of style, I wouldn't check if the inputs are nullptr. Just like with standard-library functions, it's your responsibility not to pass null pointers around.

However, searching for the empty string should return the first location where that string can be found as a substring, which should be the first character.

Although the new code by h8CplusplusGuru is better, I think it doesn't do the right thing if you look for the empty string.

35 minutes ago, alvaro said:

I think it doesn't do the right thing if you look for the empty string.

I actually tested @h8CplusplusGuru  code with your previous parameters findx("ababac", "abac") and it return nulltpr, so something else is wrong beside passing an empty string :/

1 hour ago, MarcusAseth said:

I actually tested @h8CplusplusGuru  code with your previous parameters findx("ababac", "abac") and it return nulltpr, so something else is wrong beside passing an empty string :/

Hmmm... I'm not sure how you tried, but it seems to work for me.

2 minutes ago, alvaro said:

Hmmm... I'm not sure how you tried, but it seems to work for me.

My bad, I just realized I had scrolled past the latest example and compiled the first (old) example x_x

Edited by MarcusAseth

I'm fully aware it can be done with a single loop, lol. My thought was that It didn't check previous values in the array, most easily solved with a second loop rather than contriving something with a single loop.

char* findx(char* str, char* strx)
{
	if (str == nullptr || strx == nullptr) { return nullptr; }

char* found = nullptr;
	int s = 0, x = 0;

while (str[s] != '\0') {

if (!found) found = &str[s];
		if (strx[x] == '\0') return found;

if (str[s] != strx[x]) {
			found = nullptr;
			s = s-x +1;
			x = 0;
		} else {
			s++;
			x++;
		}
	}

return nullptr;
}

Edited by h8CplusplusGuru

@h8CplusplusGuru  personally I like this version better for readability, I wonder if there is a way to time it (since it run probably too fast) to see if is better performant than the double loop version.

Only thing is it should return found instead of nullptr at the end :P

Edited by MarcusAseth

39 minutes ago, h8CplusplusGuru said:

Why should it return found? If it gets to that line it's always a nullptr.

Try it with the findx("ababac", "abac"), it gets there and return a nullptr instead of the substring starting at found. That's why it should return found.

Edited by MarcusAseth

This thread is a great example of why it is important to write tests.  We have at least five different implementations in this thread of `findx`, each with varying levels of “correct”.  Automated tests can provide an empirical measure of correctness.  And since `findx` is a pure function, we can easily write automated tests to help us.

First, a crude testing routine for any `findx` implementation:

const char* findx(const char*, const char*);

void test_findx() {
	struct test_t {
		const char* input;
		const char* subject;
		const char* expected;

test_t(const char* input, const char* subject, const int pos) {
			this->input    = input;
			this->subject  = subject;
			this->expected = ( pos == -1 ) ? nullptr : (input + pos);
		}
	} tests[] = {
		test_t("abc",         "abc",  0),
		test_t("abcdef",      "abc",  0),
		test_t("ababac",      "abac", 2),
		test_t("ababac-----", "abac", 2),

test_t("abc",         "xyz",  -1),
		test_t("abc",         "",     -1),
		test_t("",            "",     0),
		test_t("",            "a",    -1),

// ...
	};

int failed = 0;
	for ( const auto& test : tests ) {
		const char* result = findx(test.input, test.subject);

if ( result != test.expected ) {
			failed ++;
			cerr << "Test #" << (&test - tests) << " failed" << endl;
		}
	}

return failed;
}

And running the full example test here:  https://ideone.com/G2Suog#stdout

Test #0 failed: "abc" in "abc", expected "abc", got nullptr
Test #2 failed: "abac" in "ababac", expected "abac", got nullptr
Test #5 failed: "" in "abc", expected nullptr, got "abc"
Test #6 failed: "" in "", expected "", got nullptr
Failed 4 of 8 tests.

... we can see that there are a few cases we’ve missed.  And while we continually fix the implementation, we can think of more corner cases to add to the tests.

Testing can go along way in helping you write correct code and can also help you keep your sanity in face of bizarre bugs.

mine passes the tests, yay! :D

well, actually it "fails" this 

test_t("abc",         "",     -1)

Test #5 failed: "" in "abc", expected nullptr, got "abc"

but I don't consider it a fail, because my original intention was indeed to return the left-hand side argument in case someone did something as pointless as to try to find nothing. But I don't actually know how the usual function decide to handle that case, so I will assume they return nullptr as expected by the testcase.

Anyway I've already saw in the code above something interesting I wasn't fully aware I could write, so I go back to read carefully trough it, thanks for posting it @fastcall22 :)

Edited by MarcusAseth

As a mathematician, the desired behavior of findx when the second argument is the empty string is obvious: The first instance of the empty string is found at the beginning of the string.

For instance, I could make a function that splits a string into substrings using a separator, like "split" in Perl. This is how that Perl function behaves:

$ perl -e 'for $x (split ",", "a,b,c") { print "\"$x\"\n";}'
	"a"
	"b"
	"c"
	$ perl -e 'for $x (split "", "a,b,c") { print "\"$x\"\n";}'
	"a"
	","
	"b"
	","
	"c"

So if you look for the empty string, you find it everywhere, and "split" separates every character.