• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
theScore

DX11 How to make downsampling with directx 11 ?

This topic is 371 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello !

I have a texture in 4K resolution and I need to downsample this texture to get a 1x1 resulting texture.

I know that there are intermediate downsamplings before getting to the 1x1 texture but how downsampling works and how do I have to code my pixel shader to downsample my texture ?

Advertisement

For each slice, you just use a simple copy-pixel pixel shader and adjust your UVs with 0.5 texel offset with linear filtering - just continue this down to the 1x1 texture. That way, you let the hardware filtering do the job of averaging the pixels with nearly no cost, since you're sampling in-between texels :)

11 hours ago, vinterberg said:

For each slice, you just use a simple copy-pixel pixel shader and adjust your UVs with 0.5 texel offset with linear filtering - just continue this down to the 1x1 texture. That way, you let the hardware filtering do the job of averaging the pixels with nearly no cost, since you're sampling in-between texels :)

So you mean the pixel shader would look like something like this :

pixelOut = pixelIN ; 

?

Pseudo-code:

for (slice = (nslices - 1) to 1 step -1)
{
	setrendertarget(texture[slice - 1]);				// render to half-size texture
	pixelshader->setinputtexture(texture[slice]);
	texwidth = texture[slice].width;					// the double-size texture we want to downsample
	texheight = texture[slice].height;
	float u_offset = (1.0f / texwidth) / 2.0f;			// half texel size
	float v_offset = (1.0f / texheight) / 2.0f;
	pixelshader->setUVoffset(u_offset, v_offset);
	pixelshader->run();									// draw a fullscreen
}

pixelshader
{
	pixel_out = texture_sample(texture_input, vertexshader_UV + UVoffset);
};

13 hours ago, belfegor said:

I thought we didnt need pixel offset since dx11?

We don't, but here it's set so deliberately to use bilinear filtering for downsampling.

Aside: You can use the API to do this, though you won't have control of the filtering: ID3D11DeviceContext::GenerateMips (note the mandatory creation flags for the texture) .

I am confused as what to believe is true now.

For example, i am looking at MJP shadow sample project, where he downsample/scale texture, there is no "pixel offsets" applied, just bilinear filter:

quad verts

QuadVertex verts[4] =
    {
        { XMFLOAT4(1, 1, 1, 1), XMFLOAT2(1, 0) },
        { XMFLOAT4(1, -1, 1, 1), XMFLOAT2(1, 1) },
        { XMFLOAT4(-1, -1, 1, 1), XMFLOAT2(0, 1) },
        { XMFLOAT4(-1, 1, 1, 1), XMFLOAT2(0, 0) }
    };

quad vertex shader

VSOutput QuadVS(in VSInput input)
{
    VSOutput output;

// Just pass it along
    output.PositionCS = input.PositionCS;
    output.TexCoord = input.TexCoord;

return output;
}

// Uses hw bilinear filtering for upscaling or downscaling
float4 Scale(in PSInput input) : SV_Target
{
    return InputTexture0.Sample(LinearSampler, input.TexCoord);
}

Are you interested only in the 1x1 version ? or do you need all the chain ? To do short, Are you computing the average exposure for exposure adaptation or something else ?

If you are interested only in the 1x1 result as i understand your question, you should forget about pixel shader, running some compute looping over the image, keeping the averaging in groupshared memory or in register will outperform the bandwidth of writing and reading full surface plus you get rid of expensive pipeline flush between the different reduction pass ( because of going from rtv to srv ).

If you are interested in the full chain, running compute can also outperform, you can for example again save on reads by having a compute generating 3 mip in one run, doing the extra 2 by reusing what it read for the first reduction and working in groupshared memory.

Forget also about the legacy GenerateMips, it is not a hardware feature and usually does a sub optimal job compared to a hand crafted solution.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!