Which mics do you guys use for foley recording?

Started by
6 comments, last by jkuehlin 6 years, 6 months ago

In general... what kinds of mics do you want handy for capturing sound effects? Excluding field recording stuff, and strictly going for foley (in this case). What are some must-have microphones, and for what types of applications?

Cost isn't a huge concern. The question is more about what's industry standard, if there is a such thing in this field.

Thanks

This is my placeholder signature
Advertisement

Check out the Zoom hand recorders. They are fantastic!

Typically a shotgun mic, however I've seen/used all kinds of mics depending on the situation.

I've got one of those Zoom h4 recorders and while it's good in some situations, I find it's very noisy and the mics are just "ok".  Certainly not bad, but if cost was no concern, I'd much rather a proper set of independent mics I could use with whatever recording setup.  Any amount of hand movement or wind makes it unusable.  I haven't tried it with external mics though- but that's not really the original question.

I don't have a ton of experience with different mics to draw from, but the flattest sounding (in a good way) mic I've tried to far is a CADm179.  It's a very "boring" sounding mic, but has always done a good job of picking up whatever I'm actually hearing.  I have some of the basic mics that bands tend to use (57, 58, etc) and some Rode mics, as well as I've rented a bunch for different reasons, but the CAD is the one I go to whenever I think "I want to capture the thing I'm hearing right now".

For any sort of acoustic source, I first try the Shure SM81. It has an extremely flat frequency response without the BS "enhanced" high end that most condenser mics have, hence its ubiquitous use for overheads/hi-hat, string instruments, etc. It will capture exactly what you are hearing without any kind of coloration. I'll use it over any high-dollar Neumann for this specific reason.

I wouldn't use the Zooms or other hand recorders for this - they're definitively biased towards stereo field recording, and I don't think foley is typically stereo in the first place. A shotgun is my first thought as well, but if you can get close to the source a cardioid condenser like the Shure above is probably a great choice.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
On 10/4/2017 at 4:13 PM, Aressera said:

For any sort of acoustic source, I first try the Shure SM81. It has an extremely flat frequency response without the BS "enhanced" high end that most condenser mics have, hence its ubiquitous use for overheads/hi-hat, string instruments, etc. It will capture exactly what you are hearing without any kind of coloration. I'll use it over any high-dollar Neumann for this specific reason.

???

Foley means sound effects recording. Of course you would use it over any other high-dollar Neumann. I have a closet full of 81's, and unless you're smashing a stringed instrument against the pavement or scrapping against a metal cheese grater, I'm not sure what the relevance of mentioning they work good on stringed instruments. Completely different question.

This is my placeholder signature

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement