New York Games Conference: Thoughts?

Started by
9 comments, last by Da_Noobinator 6 years, 6 months ago

Hi guys, 

As a video game composer, I'm always given the advice to go to events like Game Sound Con and Game Developers Conference. Since I don't live in America, this isn't always possible. However, I just happen to be in New York at the same time as the New York Games Conference. 

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/ny-games-conference-nyme-2017-tickets-34641917909?aff=eprofsaved

I was wondering, has anyone here been to this conference? Can you recommend it? Prices are hefty, but if it's likely to provide good networking opportunities then it's worthwhile. Is there much representation from AAA companies like Bioware, Activision, Ubisoft etc etc? Or does it generally pale compared to GDC and GSC?

I'm basically trying to decide if it's worth a ticket haha. I'd especially love feedback from composers who have attended, but I'd also super appreciate any feedback from anyone in the games industry who has attended, regardless of your field :)

Thanks guys! 

Advertisement

I've never heard of this conference before.

A glance over the agenda suggests it's primarily aimed at marketing and "upper management strategy" types folks from big publishers. I don't get the impression that you'll find much related to music there, nor many "rank-and-file" developers to network with. Given the rather steep ticket price, I'd say it's a waste of money, unless you really want to hear that talk about games are uniquely suited for brand engagement.

If it's anything like the L.A. Games Conference, I wouldn't recommend it for a composer desiring to find work. 

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks for your thoughts, guys :) Jpetrie, that's a good point, I'll keep that in mind. 

Tom, which conference are you referring to? I've only heard good things about GDC, though I haven't been before. 

If anyone has been to this, or has any other comments, I'd love to hear your thoughts! 

1 hour ago, Da_Noobinator said:

Tom, which conference are you referring to? I've only heard good things about GDC

On 9/12/2017 at 6:51 AM, Tom Sloper said:

the L.A. Games Conference

GDC is definitely worthwhile.

Hey Tom, I've never been to one of those conferences. Is the $700-$2000 admission price normal for these?

This is my placeholder signature

Conference prices vary. Some are more expensive than others.

On 9/14/2017 at 11:00 AM, Tom Sloper said:

GDC is definitely worthwhile.

Sorry, I didn't realise the L.A Games Conference was a thing by itself. I looked into it, and it looks incredibly similar to the NY Games Conference. If you don't mind, I'd love to hear more about your experience with the L.A. Games Conference. Was there many game developers attending? Was there much representation from developers or producers from big studios? Why wouldn't you recommend it? 

9 hours ago, Da_Noobinator said:

Was there many game developers attending? Was there much representation from developers or producers from big studios?

The difference is easily visible just by looking at the attendees. At GDC, you see people in jeans and cosplay hats, carrying backpacks. At L.A. Games Conference, you see people in suit jackets, carrying briefcases. GDC is about sharing development tips and best production practices. LAGC is about business trends and technology to invest in. To exaggerate it a lot, GDC is a bottom-up view, and LAGC is more a top-down view (a less simplistic explanation is that we're talking more a mid-level view versus a top-farther-up view). As an educator, I benefit from attending both. As someone looking to network and collect contacts for gig-hunting purposes, you'd do better to go to GDC.

Massive thank you, Tom, I really appreciate your time in writing that all up. I believe you've helped me decide not to go! Thanks again, have an awesome day 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement