Really micromanaged audio programming (C++)

Started by
15 comments, last by PSvils 6 years, 5 months ago

I have been looking at audio libraries for my game development in C++/OpenGL for a while now, but nothing truly grabs me. OpenAL is a good contender, but it seems flooded with weird special-purpose functions that just bloat the final file size. Either I need to pick it apart and pick and choose functions, or I need something more low-level.

What I basically need is something for generating and playing sound files, not importing existing ones (if it can do both, no problem, but...). I can do the math for a sine wave, for example, but I have no way of making the computer play it as a sound. Other sounds are generated in similar ways, but playing them AS sounds is still not happening. I would love some efficient innate function (Windows platform), or a very streamlined library for that purpose only. Any suggestions??

[DEDACTED FOR SECURITY REASONS]

Advertisement

Write it yourself using the Waveform API or the newer WASAPI functions. I have done this for testing purposes some time ago and it works just by putting binary data into the channels

SDL2 weighs only half a meg and has a pretty simple audio layer. DirectX is also the right tool for the job if Windows is the only platform you're interested in... though I haven't worked with its audio side since DX9, don't know what the DX12 interface looks like.

RIP GameDev.net: launched 2 unusably-broken forum engines in as many years, and now has ceased operating as a forum at all, happy to remain naught but an advertising platform with an attached social media presense, headed by a staff who by their own admission have no idea what their userbase wants or expects.Here's to the good times; shame they exist in the past.
On 12/9/2017 at 3:46 PM, Shaarigan said:

Write it yourself using the Waveform API or the newer WASAPI functions. I have done this for testing purposes some time ago and it works just by putting binary data into the channels

But how can I edit the data in the sound? Remember, I am not just uploading sound files, I am generating the sounds on the fly...

On 12/9/2017 at 7:47 PM, Wyrframe said:

SDL2 weighs only half a meg and has a pretty simple audio layer. DirectX is also the right tool for the job if Windows is the only platform you're interested in... though I haven't worked with its audio side since DX9, don't know what the DX12 interface looks like.

It's designed to eventually be multi-platform (I do the visuals entirely in OpenGL, for one), but some pieces will inevitably need platform adjustment. If the audio code is small and streamlined enough, no problem. Is there a good tutorial (or many) for SDL2??

If you have had a look onto Waveform API or WASAPI you should have seen the WAVEHDR struct passed into the audio output channel. This struct contains a data pointer to certain raw wave data in memory and some other stuff. So where is the problem to create your data stream and pass it to the Wavefront API or WASAPI?

You could obtain was header and then put data after it closing it into some class note that sound is much more than array of shorts one positive another negative then again positive then negative etc.

If you use Windows only then direct supports playing a set of bytes, or ask should support that too bass library supports that too anyway you need to sample data right etc.

There are various APIs to simplify making sounds play etc but if you want *low level*, then most platforms offer the following scheme:

1) You get from the API some access to a primary sound output buffer (which may again be mixed with other stuff by the OS but you don't need to worry about this). In the case of e.g. a typical 16 bit stereo 44.1khz this might be a sequence of 'tiles' of memory which will be played in order, when it gets to the end it loops back and starts from the first tile again.

2) Your entire job for making audio would then to be to keep this sequence of tiles filled with audio data to play. Most APIs have something like a callback to tell you when need to fill a tile, as it can happen at any time, not just when your game thread is active - if you don't fill a tile on time you will get audio corruption and glitches.

As to what sound you want to play into these looping tiles it is up to you. It could be prerecorded music etc. In the usual case of sound effects for a game, you would make your own list of sounds that are currently playing, how far they are through, etc, and copy the relevant sound data across to the primary buffer when required. You can also add audio effects, reverb, delay, chorus etc depending on your audio chops.

Note that the size of each tile will determine the latency, smaller tiles there will be less gap between playing a sound in your game and it 'appearing' in the sound output, but means there will be more calls to the callback and more 'housekeeping' code. Having a larger overall primary buffer will mean less chance of starving the tiles and audio glitches.

If all this sounds complex, then that is what the various sound 'engine' APIs offer you, perhaps a bit less control but it does all this stuff for you. If you understand how audio works though it is pretty simple stuff (I personally haven't done 3d sound or doppler and a few things like that though), and it makes porting to a different platform a doddle.

DirectSound is what you are looking for. Its fully lowlevel and you can create/modify your sound samples however you want.

But you have to mix and video-syncronize yourself - compensate for bad latency. Also there are not much tutorials out there, the only thing i know is this (which is quite good):

" rel="external">
40 minutes ago, Finalspace said:

DirectSound is what you are looking for. Its fully lowlevel and you can create/modify your sound samples however you want.

But you have to mix and video-syncronize yourself - compensate for bad latency. Also there are not much tutorials out there, the only thing i know is this (which is quite good):

" rel="external">

DirectSound was also essentially deprecated as of 2011 and modern OSs may not support all of its features. XAudio2 was its replacement.

(sorry about the late reply, things have happened, some of them very interesting)

I have been dabbling with the Waveform and similar APIs before, but I keep feeling like they are to rigid. This might just be me, since audio is not a field I ever did much programming in. If there are good tutorials on things like those I have described, I am very interested in knowing!!

As for DirectSound / XAudio, it's a part of DirectX as I understand it, and that always bugs me. Is it possible to use it completely detached from DirectX, preferably without even importing any of the graphical libraries (I use OpenGL, for the platform portability)?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement