• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
khawk

Zoe Quinn Tells Her Story in Crash Override

While not typical GameDev.net news material, we felt GamerGate has had enough of an impact on the games industry and on indie developers that it's worth sharing.

Zoe Quinn is the indie game developer at the center of GamerGate, and now her story is coming out in her own words through her book Crash Override: How Gamergate (Nearly) Destroyed My Life, and How We Can Win the Fight Against Online Hate. The book was published last week and is now a #1 Best Seller.

Crash Override tells the story of GamerGate, which started as a hate campaign directed at her but ended up turning into an attack on women and race.

Polygon has posted a review of the book, which we recommend viewing if you're interested in learning more. You can get to the review here.

From the Polygon review:

The campaign against her was sparked by a malicious ex-boyfriend, who used what he knew about social media to hurt her, by writing and sharing a poisoned pen letter. It was copied and shared by cynical misogynists and reactionaries who understood how to mobilize impressionable, uninformed men against a woman who might threaten the status quo.

Quinn's book is not the story of a victim. It's the story of a fighter. GamerGaters did their best to ruin Quinn's life, to attack her friends and family. She details how she was traumatized by their outrages, how she was forced into hiding. Defending herself from GamerGate consumed her life.

You can also purchase the book from Amazon by clicking here.

Disclosure: Links to the book on Amazon are GameDev.net affiliate links. You are supporting GameDev.net if you purchase the book through these links.

View full story

Advertisement

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By Corbbin Goldsmith
      Hi, everyone,
      For the last month, I've been building out my news site for developers of all sorts, and I cover games, apps, web apps, SaaS, you name it! 
      If you want to have an article written about your game, contact me so I can get started!
      Requirements:
      A "playable" game A good idea behind it Um, that's about it. Just send me a message through my site.
      Articles I've written:
      https://www.theinspectorpress.com/news/dreamscape-168-z-run
      https://www.theinspectorpress.com/news/unlok-wayward
    • By 123iamking
      I've checked this video: Surface Tension: Liquid Effects in The Last of Us. But after watching the video, I have difficulty imagine the way to create these blood effect.
      So he said the blood has 2 parts: Animation & Shading

So here I imagine (I'm not an expert so the chance I imagine wrong is very high)
      The animation part, you can use Adobe After Effect & Photoshop to create, I think the final result is a particle effect:
      1. Get a green screen blood effect video --> BloodFx.mp4
      2. [BloodFx.mp4] --> [Adobe Photoshop] --> Images files.
      Then use Photoshop and some other program to tailor the images files, check the video in the spoiler below (I put it in the spoiler in case the image of the video too large for this page)
      About the shading part. I vaguely imagine like this:
      1. Write shading script (HLSL)
      2. Use a sculpt software to sculpt the blood and use XNormal to generate the Normals.
      But how can this work with the particle effect from the first part?
      What is this blood, it's 2d sprite particle effect or it's liquid entity (like water, the sea or the whisky you can see in Micheal's glass in GTA V). What software require to make this blood effect?
      Thanks for reading.
    • By jhocking
      My bestselling and highly recommended Unity book has been fully revised! Unity in Action, Second Edition teaches you to write and deploy games with the Unity game development platform. You'll master the Unity toolset from the ground up, adding the skills you need to go from application coder to game developer.

Foreword by Jesse Schell, author of The Art of Game Design

Don't take my word for it being good, look at the sky-high ratings on GoodReads.

You can order the ebook directly from the publisher's site, or order the book on Amazon to get both the physical book and a coupon to download the ebook!
    • By Alex Daughters
      Hi, I am currently a college student studying to become a Game Developer. I need to interview current game developers for a class I'm taking. if anyone seeing this could answer just the 5 questions that I have provided below as well as your name, current position, and how many years you've been in the game industry. I'd really appreciate any responses. 

Name:
      Position:
      Year in the industry:

What was the starting salary?
      How many hours do you work?
      What did you learn outside of school that was useful?
      How did you get your job and how hard was it to find it?
      how was this job different than you expected it to be?

Thank you for your time.
      -Alex Daughters
    • By ShinGoukiZero
      Hello my name is Jaymie and I am new here so I apologize if this is not the correct place to ask these questions. I have a few questions regarding my education and I feel in order to get the best answers I need to elaborate some on my current situation and background so I apologize if this is long winded. (I have my questions at the bottom of this post if you would rather not read my life story or think it is unnecessary). 
      I am currently going to a community college in Virginia and I am in the process of getting my associate's degree with the intent of transferring to a 4-year school for a bachelor's degree. The school I am looking at is George Mason University and the program I am currently looking at is the BS in Computer Science. I initially was looking into getting their BS in Applied Computer Science with a Concentration in Computer Game Design however I decided to go for the normal CS degree instead due to my decision to get my Minor in Math. (This is due to the fact that the CS degree requires 4 out of the 7 classes that the Minor needs while the ACS degree only has 3 out of 7. ) The reason I decided to go for my Math Minor is due to searching what math is useful or even used in game design on this forum.(One such example here. I also apologize if I am not supposed to post links.) I enjoy math to a certain extent and I personally feel I am pretty good at it. Any game programming related courses that the ACS degree offered are available to the CS degree except for one course so I don't think I really am missing out on anything except for the 3 Art classes that the ACS degree requires. That is when I had the Idea to get a Minor in Art and Visual Technology as well to not only get those 3 courses but 2 additional courses as well. They also have a Minor for Computer Game Design and a Minor for Music Technology which are Minors I think I also would love to get.  This is where my dilemma comes in as a lot of the resources I have been looking at suggest that it is not the best Idea to go for multiple minors or two different types of career paths for my degree(i.e. programming and art). I don't necessarily feel that any of these Minors would be useless in the game design field or that they would hinder me even. I do feel however that 4 Minors is too much and I would probably be better off Double Majoring. I would love to double Major in CS and in Computer Game Design but In all honesty I would rather not be in school 2 or possibly more extra years as I am already kind of late to the game of getting my degree. (I'm 23 so I know I'm not that old but the mistakes I have made in life have led to me getting my education 6 years later than I could have and I would like to produce actual results. Maybe some time after I get a job with my CS degree I'll consider going back for another or even go to a game design school but not right now.) I realize that art and sound design are things that I probably would not encounter at a company being that I am programming focused but I still feel they would be useful skills to have and things I would like to know anyway if I work on things on my own. (Which I intend to do as well as work with others.) As of right now I am leaning in the direction of BS CS with the Math and Art minor due to it more or less being the same curriculum as the ACS just with a few more classes. I believe I am more or less set in stone on the Math Minor and on the BS CS degree, however I am fairly indecisive on taking one of the other 3 Minors and at times I even lean towards the Computer Game Design Minor. Any minor I don't take I intend to learn at least some portion of during my free time. 
      Questions(I realize that I am kind of assuming what I think the answer is with these. I know that answers aren't always yes or no but I am unsure as to how to address my concerns without asking these types of leading questions.) 
      Will employers, be they in the Game Industry or any other field, even care about my Minor or if I have multiple? Will employers write me off as indecisive if I take a Minor or even learn something in my free time that some would say is unrelated to my field? (i.e. Programming and Art or Programming and Music Technology)  As I am getting my CS degree, what are some of your opinions on the Minors I am interested in (Art, Music Technology, Computer Game Design) to compliment my degree.(I am open to opinions on the Math Minor as well however I have decided to commit to getting it unlike with the others where I am still on the fence.) Thank you in advance if you took the time to read this lengthy post or if you answer any of my questions.
      Have a good day,
      Jaymie
  • Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!