Sign in to follow this  
khawk

Zoe Quinn Tells Her Story in Crash Override

khawk    2924

While not typical GameDev.net news material, we felt GamerGate has had enough of an impact on the games industry and on indie developers that it's worth sharing.

Zoe Quinn is the indie game developer at the center of GamerGate, and now her story is coming out in her own words through her book Crash Override: How Gamergate (Nearly) Destroyed My Life, and How We Can Win the Fight Against Online Hate. The book was published last week and is now a #1 Best Seller.

Crash Override tells the story of GamerGate, which started as a hate campaign directed at her but ended up turning into an attack on women and race.

Polygon has posted a review of the book, which we recommend viewing if you're interested in learning more. You can get to the review here.

From the Polygon review:

The campaign against her was sparked by a malicious ex-boyfriend, who used what he knew about social media to hurt her, by writing and sharing a poisoned pen letter. It was copied and shared by cynical misogynists and reactionaries who understood how to mobilize impressionable, uninformed men against a woman who might threaten the status quo.

Quinn's book is not the story of a victim. It's the story of a fighter. GamerGaters did their best to ruin Quinn's life, to attack her friends and family. She details how she was traumatized by their outrages, how she was forced into hiding. Defending herself from GamerGate consumed her life.

You can also purchase the book from Amazon by clicking here.

Disclosure: Links to the book on Amazon are GameDev.net affiliate links. You are supporting GameDev.net if you purchase the book through these links.

View full story

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Alpha_ProgDes
      So I've been reading about and watching videos about Smalltalk. It seems like an interesting language and damn near the Father (or Godfather) of all things OOP. But it got me thinking, what languages should a programmer know or even be proficient in to be a dependable programmer (couldn't think of a better word than "dependable")? After giving it some thought, I came up with this list.
      At least 1 programming language from:
      Lisp family of languages ML family of languages Smalltalk family of languages And also the C programming language (not the family, just the language).
      I think this covers all facets of programming and ways of tackling problems. I don't think there's any other language, thinking most of the modern languages, that has done anything that 4 listed above haven't already done. I'm not counting languages like Julia, R, Perl, or Erlang, because they are languages, AFAIK, that seem to solve a very specific problem. They can be general purpose, but again, AFAIK, they're not meant to be.
      Of course, agreements, disagreements, thorough takedowns, and/or overall discussion are welcomed.
    • By akaudio
      Hi, my name is Alex Mars from sound design studio AK Audio.
      I am making sounds for the very interesting game that is a tower defense style. The game is about a fantasy world with magical creatures such as Golems, Gryphons, zombies, yetis and so on. I need to create an attack, spawn, and death sound for each creature. Most of the time I needed to record sounds with my voice. My voice mostly suits the sound for a gnome or an elf but not really for a huge angry creature. Yet every character sound is used with my processed voice.

Another example of using Dehumaniser when making sound design for character called Wyvern.

Hope you liked this tutorial. Please let me know if you have any questions. 
    • By Tonya
      Dear Aussie game developers,

Come join us for a night of engaging talks on how the gaming industry has evolved in the last 30 years and what you can learn about working with SVG formats for your technical documentation. Wargaming Sydney will be hosting its first joint Meetup, where game developers can mingle and meet with those who can help shed some light on how to manage your technical documentation.
      There will be plenty of developers to network and converse with. This is a great opportunity in your games career development! 

Pizzas and drinks are provided by us.  

We hope to see you here!

• By khawk
      While not typical GameDev.net news material, we felt GamerGate has had enough of an impact on the games industry and on indie developers that it's worth sharing.
      Zoe Quinn is the indie game developer at the center of GamerGate, and now her story is coming out in her own words through her book Crash Override: How Gamergate (Nearly) Destroyed My Life, and How We Can Win the Fight Against Online Hate. The book was published last week and is now a #1 Best Seller.
      Crash Override tells the story of GamerGate, which started as a hate campaign directed at her but ended up turning into an attack on women and race.
      Polygon has posted a review of the book, which we recommend viewing if you're interested in learning more. You can get to the review here.
      From the Polygon review:
      You can also purchase the book from Amazon by clicking here.
      Disclosure: Links to the book on Amazon are GameDev.net affiliate links. You are supporting GameDev.net if you purchase the book through these links.
    • By Marc Ramos
      Good day to everyone. I came to this forum in order to survey game developer since personally I don't know any game developer in my area. Those who are willing or interested to participate in my simple survey, please leave a comment and I will message you the survey using Google Forms.

P.S. I'm not sure if I'm in the right forum so forgive me if I am.

EDIT: I'll just post the link here so that I can gather responses ASAP and it will be less hassle for you guys
      https://goo.gl/forms/k5Nb5lJhm5kABbzd2
  • Popular Now