Startup production 3D graphics and VR...

Started by
4 comments, last by Teslarian 6 years, 7 months ago

Hi everone - I need some help. What kind of qualification do I have to include into a JD in the following scenario:

So far we are developing WBTs for our LMS and have 8 own authors (content). We produce training modules for our corporate network with a strong emphasis on product or product near trainings. This means for the content: the more graphical the better. For computer artwork we mainly use freelancers until today.

We are now severly expamning and also I am looking into start experimenting with VR. We already purchased two HTC Vive sets and are quite happy with the systems.

The next step now is to start producing graphical content which we can potentially use in BOTH environments in the future. In my understanding so far this means we have to go 3D artwork and create 3D models of any product etc. that we are using on display. This should then be usable on both environments in perspective if I get it right (sorry - I am a project manager, not an IT guy).

Which are the skills I should/have to put into a JD when I start looking for employees that are capable of creating such 3D objects? I need at least 2 people to start with.

Same direction is my next problem. Now I think about using Lumberyard to start creating virtual rooms to go through (potentially build a virtual training center where you can walk thorugh - similar to "the Lab" when you start HTV Vive. In perspective I also might want to start creating "mini-games" with learning background for our group for this VR environment. Also here I think about hiring at least two people to start working on this idea. What would the JD requirements be for that? People that are capable of creating these environents to move around in and also with regard to start producing "mini-games" in there.

It would be extremely helpful to get some input from your (experienced) side and I am MORE than happy for any helpful comment or hint.

Thank you in advance guys!!!

PS: since some people asked - we are a german group but my team is located in India. We are now moving to Pune in November and this is where the project will start...

Advertisement

You might want to explain what a JD, a WBT, and an LMS are, for the people here who haven't seen those terms.

UPS - correct... sry

JD = job description

WBT = Web Based Training  (online trainings based on SCORM packages)

LMS = Learning Management System (the place where you host and run the WBTs)

Moving to Production and Management area of the site, since hiring people and writing job descriptions is not a "for beginners" technical topic.

It seems you are making decisions about technical requirements and technical implementations before you know if those decisions are even sane.  You even wrote that in your post: "if I get it right (sorry - I am a project manager, not an IT guy)".  You've made decisions like using Lumberyard or targeting Vive specifically without any technical knowledge from the people who work with that style of systems every day. Don't do that, you aren't the domain expert, don't force your inexperienced views down onto the experts and implementers who know better.

It is too early for you to hire the people to create the environment or program the system.  You instead need someone to manage the project who knows what they are doing at managing those types of projects.  They know the tasks involved, they understand what is required to build the projects, and they know what belongs in a job description for the people with the needed skills.  

Your first task is to hire someone who has real-world experience managing and directing projects like yours.  They can hire the workers needed, including writing job descriptions and job advertisements.  That job description should include something like: "Demonstrated experience forming and leading a team of 5-10 developers on VR projects."

Thx for the advise... this is exactly the response I need! And that is why I posted it... And btw: the decision for HTC and Lumberyard was not made by "me" but foreced upon me - but this topic does not belong here.

Hiring/looking for a game experienced project manager sounds pretty logic as the first step - understood! Thx...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement