• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
-Tau-

C++ Program crashes on SOME computers

This topic is 374 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I'm close to releasing my first game to Steam however, my game keeps failing the review process because it keeps crashing. The problem is that the game doesn't crash on my computer, on my laptop, on our family computer, on fathers laptop and i also gave 3 beta keys to people i know and they said the game hasn't crashed.

Steam reports that the game doesn't crash on startup but few frames after a level has been started.

What could cause something like this? I have no way of debugging this as the game works fine on every computer i have.

Game is written in C++, using DirectX 11 and DXUT framework.

Edited by -Tau-

Advertisement

Ideally you want some sort of crash reporter built in to your program, which can generate a stack track and a log file which can be sent to you from anyone who gets it to crash. Maybe a package like this: https://drdump.com/CrashRpt.CPP/About

There are alternatives, too - just search for 'crash reporter' or 'crash handler'.

Another approach is to run static analysis on your code, to try and find potential crash bugs, and fix them.

Also, you should really be testing a game more widely than on 6 or 7 people's machines before you launch.

In the past I had some random crashes when SSE was being used on unaligned data. In your case it might happen when DirectX Math objects (vector, matrix, etc.) are stored on the heap.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!