Sign in to follow this  

C++ Program crashes on SOME computers

Hello, I'm close to releasing my first game to Steam however, my game keeps failing the review process because it keeps crashing. The problem is that the game doesn't crash on my computer, on my laptop, on our family computer, on fathers laptop and i also gave 3 beta keys to people i know and they said the game hasn't crashed.

Steam reports that the game doesn't crash on startup but few frames after a level has been started.

What could cause something like this? I have no way of debugging this as the game works fine on every computer i have.

Game is written in C++, using DirectX 11 and DXUT framework.

Edited by -Tau-

Ideally you want some sort of crash reporter built in to your program, which can generate a stack track and a log file which can be sent to you from anyone who gets it to crash. Maybe a package like this: https://drdump.com/CrashRpt.CPP/About

There are alternatives, too - just search for 'crash reporter' or 'crash handler'.

Another approach is to run static analysis on your code, to try and find potential crash bugs, and fix them.

Also, you should really be testing a game more widely than on 6 or 7 people's machines before you launch.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By Benjamin Shefte
      Hey there,  I have this old code im trying to compile using GCC and am running into a few issues..
      im trying to figure out how to convert these functions to gcc
      static __int64 MyQueryPerformanceFrequency() { static __int64 aFreq = 0; if(aFreq!=0) return aFreq; LARGE_INTEGER s1, e1, f1; __int64 s2, e2, f2; QueryPerformanceCounter(&s1); s2 = MyQueryPerformanceCounter(); Sleep(50); e2 = MyQueryPerformanceCounter(); QueryPerformanceCounter(&e1); QueryPerformanceFrequency(&f1); double aTime = (double)(e1.QuadPart - s1.QuadPart)/f1.QuadPart; f2 = (e2 - s2)/aTime; aFreq = f2; return aFreq; } void PerfTimer::GlobalStart(const char *theName) { gPerfTimerStarted = true; gPerfTotalTime = 0; gPerfTimerStartCount = 0; gPerfElapsedTime = 0; LARGE_INTEGER anInt; QueryPerformanceCounter(&anInt); gPerfResetTick = anInt.QuadPart; } /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// void PerfTimer::GlobalStop(const char *theName) { LARGE_INTEGER anInt; QueryPerformanceCounter(&anInt); LARGE_INTEGER aFreq; QueryPerformanceFrequency(&aFreq); gPerfElapsedTime = (double)(anInt.QuadPart - gPerfResetTick)/aFreq.QuadPart*1000.0; gPerfTimerStarted = false; }  
      I also tried converting this function (original function is the first function below and my converted for gcc function is under that) is this correct?:
      #if defined(WIN32) static __int64 MyQueryPerformanceCounter() { // LARGE_INTEGER anInt; // QueryPerformanceCounter(&anInt); // return anInt.QuadPart; #if defined(WIN32) unsigned long x,y; _asm { rdtsc mov x, eax mov y, edx } __int64 result = y; result<<=32; result|=x; return result; } #else static __int64 MyQueryPerformanceCounter() { struct timeval t1, t2; double elapsedTime; // start timer gettimeofday(&t1, NULL); Sleep(50); // stop timer gettimeofday(&t2, NULL); // compute and print the elapsed time in millisec elapsedTime = (t2.tv_sec - t1.tv_sec) * 1000.0; // sec to ms elapsedTime += (t2.tv_usec - t1.tv_usec) / 1000.0; // us to ms return elapsedTime; } #endif Any help would be appreciated, Thank you!
    • By GreenGodDiary
      Having some issues with a geometry shader in a very basic DX app.
      We have an assignment where we are supposed to render a rotating textured quad, and in the geometry shader duplicate this quad and offset it by its normal. Very basic stuff essentially.
      My issue is that the duplicated quad, when rendered in front of the original quad, seems to fail the Z test and thus the original quad is rendered on top of it.
      Whats even weirder is that this only happens for one of the triangles in the duplicated quad, against one of the original quads triangles.

Here's a video to show you what happens: Video (ignore the stretched textures)

Here's my GS: (VS is simple passthrough shader and PS is just as basic)
      struct VS_OUT { float4 Pos : SV_POSITION; float2 UV : TEXCOORD; }; struct VS_IN { float4 Pos : POSITION; float2 UV : TEXCOORD; }; cbuffer cbPerObject : register(b0) { float4x4 WVP; }; [maxvertexcount(6)] void main( triangle VS_IN input[3], inout TriangleStream< VS_OUT > output ) { //Calculate normal float4 faceEdgeA = input[1].Pos - input[0].Pos; float4 faceEdgeB = input[2].Pos - input[0].Pos; float3 faceNormal = normalize(cross(faceEdgeA.xyz, faceEdgeB.xyz)); //Input triangle, transformed for (uint i = 0; i < 3; i++) { VS_OUT element; VS_IN vert = input[i]; element.Pos = mul(vert.Pos, WVP); element.UV = vert.UV; output.Append(element); } output.RestartStrip(); for (uint j = 0; j < 3; j++) { VS_OUT element; VS_IN vert = input[j]; element.Pos = mul(vert.Pos + float4(faceNormal, 0.0f), WVP); element.Pos.xyz; element.UV = vert.UV; output.Append(element); } }  
      I havent used geometry shaders much so im not 100% on what happens behind the scenes.
      Any tips appreciated! 
    • By mister345
      Hi, I'm building a game engine using DirectX11 in c++.
      I need a basic physics engine to handle collisions and motion, and no time to write my own.
      What is the easiest solution for this? Bullet and PhysX both seem too complicated and would still require writing my own wrapper classes, it seems. 
      I found this thing called PAL - physics abstraction layer that can support bullet, physx, etc, but it's so old and no info on how to download or install it.
      The simpler the better. Please let me know, thanks!
    • By Hexaa
      I try to draw lines with different thicknesses using the geometry shader approach from here:
      https://forum.libcinder.org/topic/smooth-thick-lines-using-geometry-shader
      It seems to work great on my development machine (some Intel HD). However, if I try it on my target (Nvidia NVS 300, yes it's old) I get different results. See the attached images. There
      seem to be gaps in my sine signal that the NVS 300 device creates, the intel does what I want and expect in the other picture.
      It's a shame, because I just can't figure out why. I expect it to be the same. I get no Error in the debug output, with enabled native debugging. I disabled culling with CullMode.None. Could it be some z-fighting? I have little clue about it but I tested to play around with the RasterizerStateDescription and DepthBias properties with no success, no change at all. Maybe I miss something there?
      I develop the application with SharpDX btw.
      Any clues or help is very welcome

• Popular Now