Linking error with xinput

Hi

Im trying to get xinput to work for controller support. Im copying Xinput9_1_0.lib to a folder which Im including in a c++ library path in visual studio 2013.

I still get:

Error    3    error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _XInputGetState@8 referenced in function "public: void __thiscall keyHandler::controllerConnected(void)" (?controllerConnected@keyHandler@@QAE_NXZ)    C:\Dropbox\PROJECT\code\games\post\source\Main.obj    zombies

Thats a linker error right? Did i do something wrong?

This is what im tryiong to run:

void controllerConnected(){
	int controllerId = -1;

for (DWORD i = 0; i < XUSER_MAX_COUNT && controllerId == -1; i++)
	{
		XINPUT_STATE state;
		ZeroMemory(&state, sizeof(XINPUT_STATE));

if (XInputGetState(i, &state) == ERROR_SUCCESS)
			controllerId = i;
	}
}

Edited by suliman

It's not enough to just have the library on the path; you need to tell the linker to use that library. I think in Visual Studio 2013 it'll be under the project properties, in Linker / Input / Additional Dependencies, or something like that.

No, linker errors are about library files. Lacking a DLL will typically just make it fail at run time. Make sure you've typed the library name correctly (maybe consult docs to check this), make sure you've typed it in the right place, and make sure it's the right library for the function you're using.

If im correct, Xinput9_1_0.lib was for the XInput lib that shipped with Vista but i could be wrong. This whole versioning thing is kinda a mess, and i've had issues with this when shipping code before. To fix this i just ended up grabbing the function pointers from the xinput dll instead of hard linking against the lib.