• Advertisement

VR/AR world building toolset

Hi,  I am an new aspiring indie developer and just wanted to share my project with other developers for feedback and discussion.  I am about a year into my business and am pretty happy with where it is and where its going.

I started out with the goal of making a "multiplayer sandbox tabletop wargame that supported cross platform play between VR, AR and other future devices".  I now understand what "Scope" is.  As a solo dev with 3 kids and a full time job.... that isn't going to happen anytime soon.  So I decided to strip that goal into parts and work on them one at a time.  My first piece was to build tools for creating the tabletop terrain in VR, using motion controls.   While working on this, I found it was quite fun to build miniature dioramas instead of just terrain using these tools.  So I released the toolset as a "Diorama Worlds", a VR diorama building program http://store.steampowered.com/app/602630/

The concept of diorama levels works great with the VR->AR compatibility.  The building can really only be done in VR with motion controls currently, but for using those scenes as levels or viewing them, they will fit perfectly into the AR platform.  The only difference will be the background skybox in VR, and the real world background in AR.  It was around this time that I changed my goal to working on a Diablo style game.  3rd person games are not the big hot topic in VR currently, but they do look great and I think it will be a huge thing in AR.  With the new goal and still understanding scope, diablo will be pretty far off.  So the next part I am going to work on is "Telling a story".  

This is when I came up with the "M.R. Comics" plan.  With the diorama worlds acting as backgrounds and adding in a stop motion style character posing system and chat bubbles, I can tell a story as a standalone product, and also use these as cutscenes for my future games.  This is a very small addition to the toolset to get it working.  But at this point I also want the comics created with my toolset to work on mobile and AR devices.  This project is unlikely to be profitable since I won't be spending time building comics, but instead working towards the next stage of my project.  So I am going to design this around having other people build the content, and if nobody is interested, it just won't get released as a standalone product.  Im still ironing out the details on how I am going to do this, but the current direction is to release short comic strips for free and allow the artist to put a billboard in the background to self promote themselves.  And for larger stories I am thinking a commission based employment of sorts.

- Levi - www.MR-Worlds.com - https://www.youtube.com/user/BaazSC2

Below is my most recent gameplay video for Diorama Worlds.

Advertisement

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Similar Content

• By Alexander Nazarov
      Hello. I'm newby in Unity and just start learning basics of this engine. I want to create a game like StackJump (links are below). And now I wondering what features do I have to use to create such my game. Should I use Physics engine or I can move objects changing transform manually in Update().
      If I should use Physics can you in several words direct me how can I implement and what I have to use. Just general info, no need for detailed description of developing process.

Game in PlayMarket
      Video of the game
    • By GytisDev
      Hello,
      without going into any details I am looking for any articles or blogs or advice about city building and RTS games in general. I tried to search for these on my own, but would like to see your input also. I want to make a very simple version of a game like Banished or Kingdoms and Castles,  where I would be able to place like two types of buildings, make farms and cut trees for resources while controlling a single worker. I have some problem understanding how these games works in the back-end: how various data can be stored about the map and objects, how grids works, implementing work system (like a little cube (human) walks to a tree and cuts it) and so on. I am also pretty confident in my programming capabilities for such a game. Sorry if I make any mistakes, English is not my native language.
      Thank you in advance.
    • By Ovicior
      Hey,
      So I'm currently working on a rogue-like top-down game that features melee combat. Getting basic weapon stats like power, weight, and range is not a problem. I am, however, having a problem with coming up with a flexible and dynamic system to allow me to quickly create unique effects for the weapons. I want to essentially create a sort of API that is called when appropriate and gives whatever information is necessary (For example, I could opt to use methods called OnPlayerHit() or IfPlayerBleeding() to implement behavior for each weapon). The issue is, I've never actually made a system as flexible as this.
      My current idea is to make a base abstract weapon class, and then have calls to all the methods when appropriate in there (OnPlayerHit() would be called whenever the player's health is subtracted from, for example). This would involve creating a sub-class for every weapon type and overriding each method to make sure the behavior works appropriately. This does not feel very efficient or clean at all. I was thinking of using interfaces to allow for the implementation of whatever "event" is needed (such as having an interface for OnPlayerAttack(), which would force the creation of a method that is called whenever the player attacks something).

Here's a couple unique weapon ideas I have:
      Explosion sword: Create explosion in attack direction.
      Cold sword: Chance to freeze enemies when they are hit.
      Electric sword: On attack, electricity chains damage to nearby enemies.

I'm basically trying to create a sort of API that'll allow me to easily inherit from a base weapon class and add additional behaviors somehow. One thing to know is that I'm on Unity, and swapping the weapon object's weapon component whenever the weapon changes is not at all a good idea. I need some way to contain all this varying data in one Unity component that can contain a Weapon field to hold all this data. Any ideas?

I'm currently considering having a WeaponController class that can contain a Weapon class, which calls all the methods I use to create unique effects in the weapon (Such as OnPlayerAttack()) when appropriate.
    • By Vu Chi Thien
      Hi fellow game devs,
      First, I would like to apologize for the wall of text.
      As you may notice I have been digging in vehicle simulation for some times now through my clutch question posts. And thanks to the generous help of you guys, especially @CombatWombat I have finished my clutch model (Really CombatWombat you deserve much more than a post upvote, I would buy you a drink if I could ha ha). 
      Now the final piece in my vehicle physic model is the differential. For now I have an open-differential model working quite well by just outputting torque 50-50 to left and right wheel. Now I would like to implement a Limited Slip Differential. I have very limited knowledge about LSD, and what I know about LSD is through readings on racer.nl documentation, watching Youtube videos, and playing around with games like Assetto Corsa and Project Cars. So this is what I understand so far:
      - The LSD acts like an open-diff when there is no torque from engine applied to the input shaft of the diff. However, in clutch-type LSD there is still an amount of binding between the left and right wheel due to preload spring.
      - When there is torque to the input shaft (on power and off power in 2 ways LSD), in ramp LSD, the ramp will push the clutch patch together, creating binding force. The amount of binding force depends on the amount of clutch patch and ramp angle, so the diff will not completely locked up and there is still difference in wheel speed between left and right wheel, but when the locking force is enough the diff will lock.
      - There also something I'm not sure is the amount of torque ratio based on road resistance torque (rolling resistance I guess)., but since I cannot extract rolling resistance from the tire model I'm using (Unity wheelCollider), I think I would not use this approach. Instead I'm going to use the speed difference in left and right wheel, similar to torsen diff. Below is my rough model with the clutch type LSD:
      speedDiff = leftWheelSpeed - rightWheelSpeed; //torque to differential input shaft. //first treat the diff as an open diff with equal torque to both wheels inputTorque = gearBoxTorque * 0.5f; //then modify torque to each wheel based on wheel speed difference //the difference in torque depends on speed difference, throttleInput (on/off power) //amount of locking force wanted at different amount of speed difference, //and preload force //torque to left wheel leftWheelTorque = inputTorque - (speedDiff * preLoadForce + lockingForce * throttleInput); //torque to right wheel rightWheelTorque = inputTorque + (speedDiff * preLoadForce + lockingForce * throttleInput); I'm putting throttle input in because from what I've read the amount of locking also depends on the amount of throttle input (harder throttle -> higher  torque input -> stronger locking). The model is nowhere near good, so please jump in and correct me.
      Also I have a few questions:
      - In torsen/geared LSD, is it correct that the diff actually never lock but only split torque based on bias ratio, which also based on speed difference between wheels? And does the bias only happen when the speed difference reaches the ratio (say 2:1 or 3:1) and below that it will act like an open diff, which basically like an open diff with an if statement to switch state?
      - Is it correct that the amount of locking force in clutch LSD depends on amount of input torque? If so, what is the threshold of the input torque to "activate" the diff (start splitting torque)? How can I get the amount of torque bias ratio (in wheelTorque = inputTorque * biasRatio) based on the speed difference or rolling resistance at wheel?
      - Is the speed at the input shaft of the diff always equals to the average speed of 2 wheels ie (left + right) / 2?
      Please help me out with this. I haven't found any topic about this yet on gamedev, and this is my final piece of the puzzle. Thank you guys very very much.
  • Advertisement