• Advertisement
Bluebear Studios

Coding my first game.

This topic is 421 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So uh, I need help making a game (I have no coding experience).  Actually my one of my biggest problems is the engine. Now I am on a tight budget, specifically $0.00. So I need

An Engine That

• is free
  • is beginner friendly
  • supports 2D
  • can import pictures and gifs( or spritesheets)
  • if i want to sell my game won't make me pay them

So these are my requirements. I don't even know if I need an engine for a 2D game, but I have difficulty coding. Thanks to ANYone who helps.  

run_cy2.gif

Advertisement

Unity seems a good one, although you will have to pay for it if you earn more than 100k USD in a year (which I dont really think that will happen).

Edited by NajeNDa

Stencyl has a free version, is 2d, super beginner friendly and don't require you coding (you visually place "pieces of code" like a puzzle), but I have no idea about their stand regarding your point "if i want to sell my game won't make me pay them", check on their site and see their policy

Still, is free and easy to use so give it a try

Edited by MarcusAseth

Since I dislike the idea of people making a business without at least one of the core knowledge from that business; Stencil as mentioned above seems as a good choice and there license points explicitely royality freeness out

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!