• Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By Herwald
      Hey, everyone! Will cut right to the chase:
      I'm a freelance illustrator with a bachelor's degree in graphic design, have done 2D animation work in the past and some illustration work for a few mobile games. However, my understanding of how an actual video game is made - especially, how to work with programmers - is very limited. That being said, there are Nintendo/Sega Genesis games from my youth that I'd love to, essentially, reskin based on my own designs and have them be playable on mobile devices with a more current day look and sound (reskin's maybe too strong of a word).
      One such game is "Evander Holyfield's Real Deal Boxing" (the old Sega Genesis game*). I'd like for the gameplay, the mechanics (the way the jabs, hooks, uppercuts, etc. are thrown), the fighter selection and the career mode to be pretty much identical to how EHRDB is, but - instead of realistic boxing - it would be a sci-fi themed game starring different monsters & creatures boxing each other. I'd like for it to be a 2D/2.5D game and I'd do all of the character designs & animations myself.
      It's a fairly simple game by today's standards, but, judging by what I've read & heard - the Achilles heel in most game development is always the coding, the programming.  Mostly because artists - not unlike myself - lack understanding of how to work with programmers and how complicated & time consuming their job is.
      So my question is, as programmers - how difficult and time consuming would a project like this be to you? How much would it cost me? How many programmers I might need to pull it off? What specific qualifications I should look for in a programmer? What are some of the potential underwater rocks I should take into consideration? And are there any rudimentary coding, programming, game development courses or books I should check out to have a better understanding on how to work with programmers? Assuming wannabe game developers pop up on forums like this all of the time - are there any Game Dev 101 videos or articles you'd recommend checking out?
      Any replies and information would be very much appreciated. Thank you very much!
    • By Angelic Ice
      I'm actually an intense user of Lua for scripting-related events, but there is one thing that bothers me a lot: Serialising an in action scene.
      Let's take a dialogue-system as an example. In Lua, I see these often realised via co-routines, and did that myself quite often, but it's a difficult act to serialise the exact state. I know about serialisers like Pluto, but those are not really clean solutions, a change in the Lua-version etc. and suddenly the behaviour is anything but defined. I don't think I would want to serialise the raw content of Lua's stack etc.
      This concludes to my question: How are these systems serialised?
      Using a state-machine could be one thing, but I fear that writing such code might be difficult for casual scripter that want to modify the game a bit on their own - being an inherent reason of me picking Lua, as it is simple to understand and learn.
      Any solutions to this? I would love to see implementations, prototypes, or articles of any measure. Maybe there is a different simple scripting-language that solves this better?
      Thanks for your time.
    • By Pixelated_Nate
      Hello all!
      I'm currently designing a 2D, Puzzle/Action RPG, in a similar vein to Legend of Zelda: Link to The Past, in Unity and require a Programmer partner in which to work with me.
      The project, yet to be titled, will feature:
      A semi-open world, represented through pixel art, in which the player traverses to enter dungeons and advance the story. A handful of side-quests that require memorizing details and using puzzle-mechanics. A fast-paced, melee combat system that will include dodging, blocking and utilizing four different attack types that can be switched on the fly. A simple inventory of "Key Items" to be used in order to advance the story. Day & Night system and Weather Effects, with weather effecting combat.  A very simple Dialogue System to convey information via colored text. Saving/Loading via exporting and importing a physical save file. Majority of the project is already planned out, with plans to release commercially and splitting the profits equally among the two of us. 
      I would request that the applicant is able to work semi-independently, following an outline, and that they have experience in both C# programming  *and* putting those scripts to use inside Unity, whilst I will be creating the Art, Music/SFX and doing Level Design (Though if you are also comfortable in assisting me with these, I wouldn't be opposed.).
      Work will be shared in either Github or Unity Collab (Applicants preference), with communication done via Discord. 
      For more information and to apply, please contact me at nathan.jenkins1012@gmail.com
      Thanks for reading! 
    • By AndyCo
      I`m looking for some project to boost up my portfolio, I`m not a pro but I`m not bad at all.
      Feel free to contact me.
    • By Just4lol
      I'm looking for my dream teammate(s) to help me work on my Unity game. I still dont know where Im going with that project but I want to make a good final product that I would be able to sell or publish it for free on Steam.  Here a video of the prototype (The only thing I dint made is the skybox) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2Otmt9jRkc
      My discord : Just4lol#46982
      I want somone at least as competent as me : 
      - I want somone with at least one year of experience in Unity (already worked with scriptable object and know oop).
      - Already worked with shaders or can do editors tools is a plus.
      - Can do 3d models in Blender or can do 2d art for the ui or particles effects.
      - Can make soundtracks or sound effects a bonus.
      Im a french Canadian so mind my english I will do my best to edit any errors I see. 
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement

Unity Zeal — Online PvP RPG

It is a combination of fundamental RPG elements and challenging, session-based MOBA elements. Having features such as creating your unique build, customizing your outfit and preparing synergic team compositions with friends, players can brave dangerous adventures or merciless arena fights against deadly creatures and skilled players alike.

This time with no grinding and no pay to win features.

We're still looking for:
1) 3D Character Artist
2) 3D Environment Artist
3) Animator
4) Sound Designer
5) VFX Artist

Discord https://discord.gg/zXpY29V or drcrack#4575

Edited by drcrack

I'm assuming Steam?

Of course :) Actually it's already on Steam, just not published. It helps me don't worry about keeping testers' clients up to date, Steam does it for me. I just press 1 button to upload a new build :) 

Edited by drcrack