• Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By Krypt0n
      Finally the ray tracing geekyness starts:
      lets collect some interesting articles, I start with:
    • By lubbe75
      What is the best practice when you want to draw a surface (for instance a triangle strip) with a uniform color?
      At the moment I send vertices to the shader, where each vertice has both position and color information. Since all vertices for that triangle strip have the same color I thought I could reduce memory use by sending the color separate somehow. A vertex could then be represented by three floats instead of seven (xyz instead of xys + rgba).
      Does it make sense? What's the best practice?
    • By ZachBethel
      Hey all,
      I'm trying to understand implicit state promotion for directx 12 as well as its intended use case. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn899226(v=vs.85).aspx#implicit_state_transitions
      I'm attempting to utilize copy queues and finding that there's a lot of book-keeping I need to do to first "pre-transition" from my Graphics / Compute Read-Only state (P-SRV | NP-SRV) to Common, Common to Copy Dest, perform the copy on the copy command list, transition back to common, and then find another graphics command list to do the final Common -> (P-SRV | NP-SRV) again.
      With state promotion, it would seem that I can 'nix the Common -> Copy Dest, Copy Dest -> Common bits on the copy queue easily enough, but I'm curious whether I could just keep all of my "read-only" buffers and images in the common state and effectively not perform any barriers at all.
      This seems to be encouraged by the docs, but I'm not sure I fully understand the implications. Does this sound right?
    • By NikiTo
      I need to share heap between RTV and Stencil. I need to render to a texture and without copying it(only changing the barriers, etc) to be able to use that texture as stencil. without copying nothing around. But the creating of the placed resource fails. I think it could be because of the D3D12_RESOURCE_DESC has 8_UINT format, but D3D12_RESOURCE_FLAG_ALLOW_DEPTH_STENCIL enabled too, and MSDN says Stencil does not support that format. Is the format the problem? And if the format is the problem, what format I have to use?

For the texture of that resource I have the flags like: "D3D12_RESOURCE_FLAG_ALLOW_RENDER_TARGET | D3D12_RESOURCE_FLAG_ALLOW_DEPTH_STENCIL" and it fails, but when I remove the allow-stencil flag, it works.
    • By ritzmax72
      I know vertex buffer is just another GPU resource represented by ID3D12Resource, but why is it said that vertex buffer don’t need a descriptor heap??
      Other resources like depth/stencil resource, swap chain’s buffer need to have descriptor heaps. How does these resources differ from vertex buffer.
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement

DX12 Do we need to rebind a descriptor table after CopyDescriptors operation?

I am working on optimizing our descriptor management code. Currently, I am following most of the guidelines like sorting descriptors by update frequency,...

I have two types of descriptor ranges: Static (DESCRIPTOR_RANGE_FLAG_NONE) and Dynamic(DESCRIPTORS_VOLATILE). So lets say I have this scenario:

for (uint32_t i = 0; i < meshCount; ++i)
  	// descriptor is created in a range with flag DESCRIPTORS_VOLATILE
  	// setDescriptor will call CopyDescriptorsSimple to copy descriptor handle pDescriptor to the appropriate location in pTable
	pTable->setDescriptor("descriptor", pDescriptor[i]);

Do I need to call bindDescriptorTable inside the loop?

As long as the descriptor is marked VOLATILE, then the guarantee is the hardware will read the contents of the descriptor at execution time. No need to re-apply the same descriptor handle to the command list.

Thanks for the info. Since we are on the topic, just curious to know whether it's optimal to use:

• The DESCRIPTORS_VOLATILE flag, create one big descriptor table and let the driver manage the versioning
  • Separate the tables based on update frequency?

The first scenario will have only one SetRootDescriptorTable call from app code. Not sure about driver code.

The second scenario will have multiple SetRootDescriptorTable calls depending on the update frequency and the driver has to do no versioning since the app manages it.

DESCRIPTORS_VOLATILE is the default behavior of root signature 1.0. It requires that drivers cannot read the descriptors at all until the GPU is executing. This means I can do something like:

commandQueue->Wait(fence, 1);
device->CopyDescriptors(foo, bar);

This would be valid, and the GPU would read the updated descriptors when it becomes unblocked. If you did that in root signature 1.1 without the DESCRIPTORS_VOLATILE flag, that would be invalid, because the descriptors changed from the point of recording the command in the command list, and the GPU executing those commands. It is a hint to the driver that they can read the descriptors on the CPU and potentially make optimizations off of that information - whether that means that they embed the entire contents of the descriptor in the command list or not is a driver implementation detail (and unless it's a buffer, I don't think anyone can do that today).

@SoldierOfLight Unfortunately, the above example is not valid, we expect descriptors to be "set in stone" by ExecuteCommandLists (submission) time.  This is in accordance with the documentation below:

"With this flag set, the descriptors in a descriptor heap pointed to by a root descriptor table can be changed by the application any time except while the command list / bundles that bind the descriptor table have been submitted and have not finished executing. For instance, recording a command list and subsequently changing descriptors in a descriptor heap it refers to before submitting the command list for execution is valid. This is the only supported behavior of Root Signature version 1.0."