Circular inclusion problem

I think I am having the problem mentioned in the title, but I can't be sure of it as well...

Got 3 classes, GameMode, Entity, Paddle. 

Paddle Inherit from Entity, and both Paddle and Entity need to #include "GameMode.h" in order to pass down the constructor a GameMode* and store it inside of every Entity.

I pretty much forward declared everything inside everything else but stuff just won't compile, the error I am getting is C2504 "Entity: base class undefined" .

I'll paste below the .h and .cpp for the Entity class, and only .h for the other two. Can someone tell me what am I doing wrong? :/

Entity.h

#pragma once
#include "SDL2\SDL.h"
#include "GameMode.h"
#include "Utility.h"
using namespace util;

class GameMode;
enum class PivotMode: Uint8 {CENTER,TOP_LEFT};

class Entity
{
protected://variables
	float XCenter;
	float YCenter;
	SDL_Rect CollisionBox;
	SDL_Texture* Sprite;
	GameMode* Game;
	SDL_Renderer* Renderer;

public://constructors
	Entity(GameMode* gameRef, PivotMode inputMode, int x, int y, std::string path);
	virtual ~Entity();
	Entity(const Entity&) = delete;
	Entity& operator=(const Entity&) = delete;
	Entity(Entity&&) = delete;
	Entity& operator=(Entity&&) = delete;

public://methods
	virtual void Update(float deltaTime) = 0;
	virtual void Draw(float interpolation) = 0;

private://methods
SDL_Texture* RequestTexture(std::string path)const;
void SetCollisionBox(int x, int y, PivotMode InputMode);
};

Entity.cpp

#include "Entity.h"

Entity::Entity(GameMode* gameRef, PivotMode inputMode, int x, int y, std::string path)
	:Game{ gameRef }, XCenter{ static_cast<float>(x) }, YCenter{ static_cast<float>(y) }
{
	if (Game) { Renderer = Game->GetRenderer(); }
	Sprite = RequestTexture(path); 

if (Sprite)
	{ SetCollisionBox(x, y, inputMode); }
}

Entity::~Entity()
{
}

SDL_Texture* Entity::RequestTexture(std::string path)const
{
	if (Game->IsRunning())
	{
		return Game->RequestTexture(path);
	}
	return nullptr;
}

void Entity::SetCollisionBox(int x, int y, PivotMode InputMode)
{
	SDL_QueryTexture(Sprite, nullptr, nullptr, &CollisionBox.w, &CollisionBox.h);

switch (InputMode)
	{
		case PivotMode::CENTER:
		{
			CollisionBox.x = x - CollisionBox.w / 2;
			CollisionBox.y = y - CollisionBox.h / 2;
			XCenter = static_cast<float>(x);
			YCenter = static_cast<float>(y);
		}break;
		case PivotMode::TOP_LEFT:
		{
			CollisionBox.x = x;
			CollisionBox.y = y;
			XCenter = static_cast<float>(x) + CollisionBox.w / 2;
			YCenter = static_cast<float>(y) + CollisionBox.h / 2;
		}break;
	}
}

Paddle.h

#pragma once
#include "Entity.h"
#include "GameMode.h"

class GameMode;
enum class PivotMode:Uint8;

class Paddle : public Entity
{
	Paddle(GameMode* gameRef, PivotMode inputMode, int x, int y, std::string path);
	~Paddle();

virtual void Update(float deltaTime);
	virtual void Draw(float interpolation);
};

GameMode.h

#pragma once
#include "SDL2\SDL.h"
#include <string>
#include <vector>
#include <memory>
#include "App.h"
#include "Entity.h"
#include "Paddle.h"

class Entity;
class Paddle;

class GameMode
{
	friend class App;
private://variables
	bool Running;
	SDL_Window* Window;
	SDL_Renderer* Renderer;
	App* AppRef;

GameMode(SDL_Window* Window, SDL_Renderer* Renderer, App* App);
	~GameMode();

GameMode(const GameMode&) = delete;
	GameMode& operator=(const GameMode&) = delete;	
	GameMode(GameMode&&) = delete;
	GameMode& operator=(GameMode&&) = delete;

bool IsRunning()const;
	SDL_Renderer* GetRenderer()const;

void Update(float deltaTime);
	void Draw(float interpolation);
};

4 minutes ago, MarcusAseth said:

Paddle Inherit from Entity, and both Paddle and Entity need to #include "GameMode.h" in order to pass down the constructor a GameMode* and store it inside of every Entity.

No they don't. You can forward declare GameMode if all you need is to refer to it by pointer.

Then just include GameMode.h in the CPP files.

7 minutes ago, MarcusAseth said:

No they don't; the forward declaration you have of GameMode is sufficient to declare pointers to GameMode. You only need to include the header if you need anything that requires the full definition of GameMode, which you don't unless you actually try to call a method from it, take its size, et cetera. Generally you can defer the inclusion of GameMode.h to the .cpp in this case.

What you are seeing here is that during the compilation of Entity.cpp, you include Entity.h (which, remember, is basically just pasting the content of Entity.h into Entity.cpp -- the compiler is only compiling the TU resulting from preprocessing Entity.cpp). Entity.h includes SDL stuff which is irrelevant, and then includes GameMode.h. GameMode.h. GameMode.h includes a bunch of crap, and then Entity.h (whcih is skipped due to the pragma) and then Paddle.h. Paddle.h doesn't do anything with the include of Entity.h due to the aforementioned pragma.

Thus the compiler is seeing, from top-to-bottom (with irrelevant stuff removed):

• the content of paddle.h
  • the content of gamemode.h
  • the content of entity.h
  • the content of entity.cpp

So the compiler is seeing you define Paddle as a subclass of Entity which hasn't actually been defined yet. You can verify this by having the compiler emit the preprocessed source for Entity.cpp, if you like (although it will be a lot of stuff to wade through).

Since Entity.h doesn't need GameMode.h, remove it. That will break the above chain (although you may have this problem elsewhere and may need to perform a similar analysis and correction elsewhere).

Thanks for the answers guys, that totally fixed it!

Also double thanks for the explanation @jpetrie which clarified things a bit, though even with that I can see that I still can't fully wrap my head around it, so I'll try and search for more explanations(but with images, I always need images to easily understand :D )

Make a new text and copy Entity.cpp into it. Then, as long as there is any #include "YourFile.h" left in the text:

• Open YourFile.h.
  • If YourFile.h contains #pragma once and you've already seen YourFile.h, stop.
  • Otherwise, copy all of YourFile.h.
  • Paste it into the text file, replacing the original #include. 

You can skip the SDL and C++ library includes for sanity. Once you've done that for every #include of your files, read the resulting source code. This is what the compiler is seeing, and it should be clear why this is an issue then.

Ok, maybe I am getting it, so the problem is not that Entity.h is not included, the problem is that it appears below the content of Paddle.h

Does this means I could have solved the problem above also by forward declaring class Entity; inside of Paddle.h? :S

Edited by MarcusAseth

26 minutes ago, MarcusAseth said:

Does this means I could have solved the problem above also by forward declaring class Entity; inside of Paddle.h? :S

Not in this case, because Paddle.h declares Paddle which is a subclass of Entity, and inheriting from some type requires the full definition of that type. A forward-declaration won't suffice.

You can avoid passing GameMode* gameRef as a parameter to the entity, and paddle, etc. by using a class that gets the data from its list of entities, and its reference to GameMode, then does whatever you have entity doing with it.

Then you shouldn't have to include GameMode.h at all in Entity.h or Paddle.h or their .cpp files. Also, it doesn't look like you need to include Entity.h or Paddle.h in GameMode.h or even declare the classes, just include them in GameMode.cpp if needed, which you probably shouldn't need to.

If GameMode required a pointer to Entity or Paddle this would create a problem with them having references to each other, using shared_ptr or not handling them properly as they are now with a reference counting system, neither one would be released/deleted when the game closed resulting in a memory leak.

23 minutes ago, Yxjmir said:

You can avoid passing GameMode* gameRef as a parameter to the entity, and paddle, etc. by using a class that gets the data from its list of entities, and its reference to GameMode, then does whatever you have entity doing with it.

I don't understand this x_x

If GameMode required a pointer to Entity or Paddle this would create a problem with them having references to each other, using shared_ptr or not handling them properly as they are now with a reference counting system, neither one would be released/deleted when the game closed resulting in a memory leak.

and this as well x_x

Entity.h

Update Paddle.h the same way, by removing include "GameMode.h", and other things related to GameMode

#pragma once
#include "SDL2\SDL.h"
#include "Utility.h"
using namespace util;

enum class PivotMode: Uint8 {CENTER,TOP_LEFT};

class Entity
{
protected://variables
	float XCenter;
	float YCenter;
	SDL_Rect CollisionBox;
	SDL_Texture* Sprite;
	SDL_Renderer* Renderer;	// This can also be moved outside of this class if needed

Entity(PivotMode inputMode, int x, int y, std::string path);
	virtual ~Entity();
	Entity(const Entity&) = delete;
	Entity& operator=(const Entity&) = delete;
	Entity(Entity&&) = delete;
	Entity& operator=(Entity&&) = delete;

virtual void Update(float deltaTime) = 0;
	virtual void Draw(float interpolation) = 0;

void SetTexture(SDL_Texture* texture)const; // Call this from the new class below to set the enitity's texture
	void SetCollisionBox(int x, int y, PivotMode InputMode);
};

GameMode.h

Removed #include "Entity.h" and #include "Paddle.h", also removed class declarations:

class Entity;

class Paddle;

#pragma once
#include "SDL2\SDL.h"
#include <string>
#include <vector>
#include <memory>
#include "App.h"

class GameMode
{
	friend class App;
	bool Running;
	SDL_Window* Window;
	SDL_Renderer* Renderer;
	App* AppRef;

~GameMode();

GameMode(const GameMode&) = delete;
	GameMode& operator=(const GameMode&) = delete;	
	GameMode(GameMode&&) = delete;
	GameMode& operator=(GameMode&&) = delete;

bool IsRunning()const;
	SDL_Renderer* GetRenderer()const;

void Update(float deltaTime);
	void Draw(float interpolation);
};

ClassName.h

#include "Paddle.h"
#include "GameMode.h"

class ClassName
{
	GameMode* m_pGameMode;
	std::list<Entity*> m_pEntities; // List of all entities, does not have to include paddle if you include the following line
	// but you have make sure you update and render the paddle and this list.

Paddle* m_pPaddle;	// I've only included this for easier access to the paddle

// Other class variables/functions
}

ClassName.cpp

ClassName::ClassName(GameMode* gameRef) : m_pGameMode{ gameRef }
{
	if (m_pGameMode) { Renderer = m_pGameMode->GetRenderer(); }
	// You can comment this out, and create and initialize m_pGameMode here, but its not necessary
}

ClassName::~ClassName()
{
}

SDL_Texture* ClassName::RequestTexture(std::string path)const
{
	if (m_pGameMode->IsRunning())
	{
		return m_pGameMode->RequestTexture(path);
	}
	return nullptr;
}

// Other Funtions

You probably won't have to worry about the last part of my previous post, but if you started using shared_ptr or something similar, then you'd have a potential memory leak. Basically, two classes would not let go of their references to each other until the other one did, so they never would, I don't know how to put it simpler than that, so if you still don't understand, then look it up.

So the benefit of doing that would be that I store only 1 pointer to GameMode (as opposed to 1 per entity) and I pass 1 less argument at Entity construction, right?

I don't know, doesn't seems worth adding another layer of complexity, currently GameMode is holding the vector<unique_ptr<Entity>> so I could instead assign the GameMode "this" to a global GameMode* during GameMode construction so that every Entity can see and use it.

Unless I am missing some other benefit, doesn't seems worth adding one more layer :/

Edited by MarcusAseth

I didn't see that vector<unique_ptr<Entity>> in GameMode.h, which means the class isn't actually holding onto it, unless you left it out in your post.

You can just use GameMode the same way as my "class ClassName" example. This will require you to include Paddle.h in GameMode.h or GameMode.cpp if the entity list is stored there. You still won't need the forward declarations for those Entity or Paddle in GameMode.h regardless. And Neither Paddle.h or Entity.h (or their cpp files) should include GameMode.h.

32 minutes ago, MarcusAseth said:

so I could instead assign the GameMode "this" to a global GameMode* during GameMode construction so that every Entity can see and use it.

Yes you could, but Entity/Paddle don't need to have access to GameMode or use data from it. GameMode already has access to them, and should be able to manipulate/set their data as it needs to.

I was actually going to suggest this first, but a lot of people don't like having even one global variable at all, so I figured I'd offer another solution. There's nothing wrong with this, as long as you don't start doing it for all of you classes.

I hope this makes sense.

Edited by Yxjmir
typo

44 minutes ago, Yxjmir said:

I didn't see that vector<unique_ptr<Entity>> in GameMode.h, which means the class isn't actually holding onto it, unless you left it out in your post.

My bad, is a modify I made after this topic was posted. Though I don't think I can remove #include GameMode.h from the cpp files of the entities because they need more than a forward declare in order to call methods on GameMode :\

13 hours ago, MarcusAseth said:

I don't think I can remove #include GameMode.h from the cpp files of the entities because they need more than a forward declare in order to call methods on GameMode :\

I think you're missing the point. GameMode can send the texture, and whatever else it needs to, to the Entity when the Entity or unique_ptr<Entity> is created. All you have to do is make "SDL_Texture* Sprite;" a public variable in the Entity class so GameMode can access it, or create a "SetTexture(SDL_Texture* sprite)" function that GameMode calls and supplies with the texture as a parameter.

The only other thing that I saw that might require GameMode.h to be included in Entity.cpp is SDL_Renderer* Renderer; but you already have it in the GameMode class, so Entity doesn't need to store it.

class GameMode
{
	friend class App;
	bool Running;
	SDL_Window* Window;
	SDL_Renderer* Renderer;	// <-- Just send this to each Entity during Entity::Draw if needed
	App* AppRef;

~GameMode();

Its up to you whether or not to do this, I'm just trying to explain it so you can see how its possible.