Sign in to follow this  
GAFO

2D DX9 Multiple Devices for Seperation

Hello Community,

I wanted to seperate drawings - different "IDirect3DDevice9Ex"  Devices for different purposes.

The problem I have is that Device A is drawing the background and if I add Device B for drawing simple geometricts or even a simple line.. the background turns black but the line is drawn. So I dont really know how to configure device B that it only overwrite the pixels at e.g. destination of the line and not all pixels of device A.

So what are the correct settings to archive the mentioned goal ?  (D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS, Present/Clear)

,greetings

28 minutes ago, Hodgman said:

If you want these different parts to contribute to drawing the same image, use one device.

so there is absolutely no way that the second device only overwrites the backbuffer parts of e.g. lines location instead of everything ? 

6 minutes ago, GAFO said:

so there is absolutely no way that the second device only overwrites the backbuffer parts of e.g. lines location instead of everything ? 

I don't think you can share the backbuffer (aka swap chain) between devices... You can share other resources, such as intermediate render-targets (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb219800(VS.85).aspx#Sharing_Resources) so technically it's possible. It's likely slower and more wasteful on memory to create multiple devices when one would do though. It's also a lot more complicated as you'll have to use event queries to force your commands to be executed by the GPU in the intended order, which may harm GPU throughput.

Why do you need to create multiple devices?

4 minutes ago, Hodgman said:

Why do you need to create multiple devices?

well I want design a way which allows me to have a base programm and additional modules which can be loaded for additional rendering 

without them knowing the private environment of the base nor the other way around. So every module manages and renders itself and the only knowledge they share is the window handle.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By reders
      Hi, everyone!
      I "finished" building my first game. Obviously Pong.
      It's written in C++ on Visual Studio with SFML.
      Pong.cpp
      What do you think? What should I consider doing to improve the code?
      Thank you very much.

EDIT: added some screenshot and .zip file of the playable game

Pong.zip

• By noodleBowl
      I was wondering if anyone could explain the depth buffer and the depth stencil state comparison function to me as I'm a little confused
      So I have set up a depth stencil state where the DepthFunc is set to D3D11_COMPARISON_LESS, but what am I actually comparing here? What is actually written to the buffer, the pixel that should show up in the front?
      I have these 2 quad faces, a Red Face and a Blue Face. The Blue Face is further away from the Viewer with a Z index value of -100.0f. Where the Red Face is close to the Viewer with a Z index value of 0.0f.
      When DepthFunc is set to D3D11_COMPARISON_LESS the Red Face shows up in front of the Blue Face like it should based on the Z index values. BUT if I change the DepthFunc to D3D11_COMPARISON_LESS_EQUAL the Blue Face shows in front of the Red Face. Which does not make sense to me, I would think that when the function is set to D3D11_COMPARISON_LESS_EQUAL the Red Face would still show up in front of the Blue Face as the Z index for the Red Face is still closer to the viewer
      Am I thinking of this comparison function all wrong?
      Vertex data just in case
      //Vertex date that make up the 2 faces Vertex verts[] = { //Red face Vertex(Vector4(0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f), Color(1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f)), Vertex(Vector4(100.0f, 100.0f, 0.0f), Color(1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f)), Vertex(Vector4(100.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f), Color(1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f)), Vertex(Vector4(0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f), Color(1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f)), Vertex(Vector4(0.0f, 100.0f, 0.0f), Color(1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f)), Vertex(Vector4(100.0f, 100.0f, 0.0f), Color(1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f)), //Blue face Vertex(Vector4(0.0f, 0.0f, -100.0f), Color(0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f)), Vertex(Vector4(100.0f, 100.0f, -100.0f), Color(0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f)), Vertex(Vector4(100.0f, 0.0f, -100.0f), Color(0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f)), Vertex(Vector4(0.0f, 0.0f, -100.0f), Color(0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f)), Vertex(Vector4(0.0f, 100.0f, -100.0f), Color(0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f)), Vertex(Vector4(100.0f, 100.0f, -100.0f), Color(0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f)), };  
    • By Rannion
      Hi,
      I'm trying to fill a win64 Console with ASCII char.
      At the moment I have 2 solutions: one using std::cout for each line, let's say 30 lines at once using std::endl at the end of each one.
      The second solution is using FillConsoleOutputCharacter. This method seems a lot more robust and with less flickering. But I'm guessing, internally it's using a different table than the one used by std::cout. I'm trying to fill the console with the unsigned char 0xB0 which is a sort of grey square when I use std::cout but when using FillConsoleOutputCharacter it is outputted as the UTF8 char '°'.
      I tried using SetConsoleOutputCP before but could not find a proper way to force it to only use the non-extended ASCII code page...
      Has anyone a hint on this one?
      Cheers!
    • By Brian Paek
      Football Dash now on iOS! Over 1 million downloads on Android
      iOS:
      https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/football-dash-endless-runner/id1312590451?ls=1&mt=8
      Android:
      https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.beastattack.c1434846484727

• By zizulot
      first and only logo , for now
  • Popular Now