• Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By dgi
      Hey all ,
      For a few days I'm trying to solve some problems with my engine's memory management.Basically what is have is a custom heap with pre allocated memory.Every block has a header and so on.I decided to leave it like that(not cache friendly) because my model is that every block will be large and I will have a pool allocators and stack allocators dealing with those blocks internally. So far so good I figure out how to place my per scene resources . There is one thing that I really don't know how to do and thats dealing with containers.What kind of allocation strategy to use here.
      If I use vector for my scene objects(entities , cameras , particle emitters .. ) I will fragment my custom heap if I do it in a standard way , adding and removing objects will cause a lot of reallocations . If I use a linked list this will not fragment the memory but it's not cache friendly.I guess if a reserve large amount of memory for those vectors it will work but then I will waste a lot memory.I was thinking for some sort of mix between a vector and a linked list , where you have block of memory that can contain lets say 40 items and if you go over that number a new one will be created and re location of the data would not be needed.There would be some cache misses but it will reduce the fragmentation.
      How you guys deal with that ? Do you just reserve a lot data ?
    • By EddieK
      Hello everyone, I want present my new game which I've been working on for a quite while now.
      It's a 2D zombie shooter with lots of cool weapons to choose from. Kill zombies, level up, buy new weapons and go through different levels. 
      Google Play Store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extrabitgames.killerjack&hl=en

Any feedback is appreciated  
    • By MountainGoblin
      Hi everyone!

Let me represent my first game.

It's mix of arcade and logic (just a little).

Play Market:

Spiteful UFOs seized the hedgehog commune. Four hedgehog fighting commandos will not give them any chance to destroy it.
      Be the fifth member of the team. 
      Destroy alien’s bases!
      Save your friends!
      Use the commandos’ features to seize and destroy aliens’ bases. 
      You won’t be able to clean the commune from hateful aliens without rationality, speed and agility. 
      - 40 fascinating levels in different parts of the world;
      - 8 different locations.
      I'll wait for yours feedback. It's very important for upcomming updates!

• By Hermetix
      I am trying to setup the custom wizard for making a 3ds MAX 2018 plug-in (to export a character animation data), but I can't locate the wizard file folder to put the .vsz file in. In the 3ds MAX 2018 docs, it only mentions where the folder is in VS 2015 (VC/vcprojects). It's a VC++ project, but I don't see any folder in VC for the wizard files. I'm using VS 2017 update 15.5.6 Enterprise, and the folders in VC are: Auxiliary, Redist and Tools.
    • By Hanna Habela
      Check it out: habela.github.io
      ok, don't know if it is that "cool" or that "unique"... but supposedly being self-confident and brag yourself is a way to go hmm...don't know
      Anyway, tell me guys what do you think about my site and art in it as well.
      Btw: Say nicely "hi" or "hello" to me coz I'm new here (not so new to game art, as I'm doing it for 2 years now)

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement

2D need help in making a simple radar for game

hi i am new to opengl can someone here tell me how to render this 2d shape i want to make curve or arc in 2d in between two lines its a rough sketch i made i tried the internet but could not find much help beacuse their were no specific tutorials of making arcs or curves

The exact same way you draw a normal line just put points on a mathematical curve.

For tutorials on this you need to search the name of the curve you want. For example I found this:  http://www.openglprojects.in/2015/12/drawing-bezier-curves-in-opengl-c.html#gsc.tab=0 while searching for " opengl bezier curve tutorial".

Edit: For a radar you will have a much easier time using sprite sheets.

Edited by Scouting Ninja

13 minutes ago, markshaw001 said:

can i render an texture or draw anything behind sprite sheet 

If it has a alpha yes. Alpha sorting is a bit of a pain when your new however it is important so learning it isn't a bad idea.

Have you considered using a engine or is learning how to do these things your main goal?

i have not tried an engine i am a little familiar with unity developed a small game for a semester project but the main goal is to develop in opengl or some other API without using an engine