Starting A Game Development Blog

Started by
5 comments, last by jbadams 6 years, 6 months ago

I'm thinking of starting a blog to encourage myself to keep up work on my game. I figured I'd just write about my experiences making the game. But I've never really done a blog before. Are there any good resources about blogging that specifically target blogging about your progress making a computer game?

Advertisement

That's probably a bad idea. Usually talking a lot about what you're doing does the opposite: discourage you from working, partly just because it's extra effort and partly because the fact that no one's interested is discouraging, and even partly because it makes small amounts of work seem larger. I write updates for my supporters' benefit, not for mine, and I always limit it to really noteworthy things.

7 hours ago, JulieMaru-chan said:

That's probably a bad idea. Usually talking a lot about what you're doing does the opposite: discourage you from working, partly just because it's extra effort and partly because the fact that no one's interested is discouraging, and even partly because it makes small amounts of work seem larger. I write updates for my supporters' benefit, not for mine, and I always limit it to really noteworthy things.

I think different people experience different things. I would like to give it a try at least.

What is it in particular that you're hoping to learn?

I don't have any professional writing experience myself. I pretty much just write whatever in my developer journal that I feel like sharing about the projects I'm working on. The only thing that I might recommend would be to have a general plan about what you intend to posting and how frequently. It seems to me that if you keep a consistent format and schedule then preparing your content should be easier for each post.

If the blog is indeed only for you to motivate yourself then write whatever you need to do just that. However attracting and keeping an audience's interest in your project would be another matter, particularly if you're hoping that one day it's going to translate into sales.

3 hours ago, kseh said:

What is it in particular that you're hoping to learn?

I don't have any professional writing experience myself. I pretty much just write whatever in my developer journal that I feel like sharing about the projects I'm working on. The only thing that I might recommend would be to have a general plan about what you intend to posting and how frequently. It seems to me that if you keep a consistent format and schedule then preparing your content should be easier for each post.

If the blog is indeed only for you to motivate yourself then write whatever you need to do just that. However attracting and keeping an audience's interest in your project would be another matter, particularly if you're hoping that one day it's going to translate into sales.

Thanks for the answer!

I've never blogged before and I really have no idea what it's about. At the moment, I don't know what I want beyond just that keeping some-sort of a progress log can help motivate me. I have no concern for additional sales since this is a personal passion-project. I'd like to post it online since the idea that some people might see it, is a motivator for me. Also, I'd like to keep friends and family up-to-date.

The easiest approach would probably be to simply take a look through our blog section (we'd love to host yours as well!) and any popular blogs you know to see which blogs you like, and how they structure their entries, what they share, etc.

You can then attempt start out trying to mimic that approach, and will eventually evolve into your own style.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement