critter4

Beginner Video Game Composer

Hey Everyone, 

I am a music composition student and am looking for experience writing music for a game.  I would like to volunteer time for a game and just learn about implementing music into a story or scenario.  

One of the pitfalls I have come across, is the practice of scoring for games.  It is quite difficult to create prompts for myself that can simulate, what I think of, as a real world experience. Hopefully one of the many people involved can help me find some direction in this field. 

Thanks all for reading and in advance for your help. 

It might be helpful to play some games on mute, and trying to capture some emotion or feeling as you are playing. You can take those feelings and turn them into a song. Perhaps the level design will give you hints, or the type of play required to get past the level will help you figure out tempo and 'bounce.' Are you jumping a lot? Firing a weapon? Waiting? Are there surprises? Is there some irony, like evil clowns or friendly trolls you can play off of?

Super Mario Bros. for Wii is one I remember that really has the music pull you deeper into the level. You might be able to learn something from that if you check the levels on YouTube.