• Advertisement
oeria2000

3D Question about Font and Text in Direct3D

I have started my "small game" for a few days, I use DirectX 9(some reason i chose this old version of dx) as my graphic engine, I need the effect like the show below. I think that i may need some depth sorting algorism? The text seems to be drawed on 2d surface(sorted and always be the front)?, I'm a beginer in DX, not too much experience... Any suggestion to me is welcome, thanks

txt.png.49ef225e3a1dd86f1aba1c8415415947.png

Advertisement

Your question is not very clear - do you want the text to always be in front of the tree?  We would also need more context about how you are drawing these things.

It does sound like you need to sort the things you're drawing, but how you do that will depend on how you're drawing things, and what you want the result to look like.

On ‎2017‎年‎9‎月‎28‎日 at 10:34 PM, NightCreature83 said:

You can just z test the stream of characters so turn depth test enabled on for text rendering

thanks NightCreature83, i'll try,  i think it could be the method, i draw text using ID3DXFont::DrawText(),  how can i set z depth before drawing(fixed pipeline)? this method seems always draw things on front of all,  more help please, tks:) 

On ‎2017‎年‎9‎月‎28‎日 at 9:40 PM, trjh2k2 said:

Your question is not very clear - do you want the text to always be in front of the tree?  We would also need more context about how you are drawing these things.

It does sound like you need to sort the things you're drawing, but how you do that will depend on how you're drawing things, and what you want the result to look like.

thanks trjh2k2, i draw text using ID3DXFont::DrawText(), but i found that it draw text always be the front, sometimes i need the text behind the scene object, like "tony" in my image. any help? thanks :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Similar Content

• By Void
      Hi, I'm trying to do a comparision with DirectInput GUID e.g GUID_XAxis, GUID_YAxis from a value I get from GetProperty
      eg
      DIPROPRANGE propRange;

DIJoystick->GetProperty (DIPROP_RANGE, &propRange.diph);
      // This will crash
      if (GUID_XAxis == MAKEDIPROP (propRange.diph.dwObj))
        ;

How should I be comparing the GUID from GetProperty?
    • By NanaMarfo
      Hello Everyone!
      I am looking for a small team to do a rendering project with me. The roles I need are:
      -Character Modeller
      -Environment Designer
      -Environment Modeller(Found)
      You can use this in your portfolio and you will be credited at the end.
      If you are interested, please email me at marfo343@gmail.com. Thank you!
    • By D34DPOOL
      Edit Your Profile D34DPOOL 0 Threads 0 Updates 0 Messages Network Mod DB GameFront Sign Out Add jobEdit jobDeleteC# Programmer for a Unity FPS at Anywhere   Programmers located Anywhere.
      Posted by D34DPOOL on May 20th, 2018
      Hello, my name is Mason, and I've been working on a Quake style arena shooter about destroying boxes on and off for about a year now. I have a proof of concept with all of the basic features, but as an artist with little programming skill I've reached the end of my abilities as a programmer haha. I need someone to help fix bugs, optomize code, and to implent new features into the game. As a programmer you will have creative freedom to suggest new features and modes to add into the game if you choose to, I'm usually very open to suggestions :).
      What is required:
      Skill using C#
      Experience with Unity
      Experience using UNET (since it is a multiplayer game), or the effort and ability to learn it
      Compensation:
      Since the game currently has no funding, we can split whatever revenue the game makes in the future. However if you would perfer I can create 2D and/or 3D assets for whatever you need in return for your time and work.
      It's a very open and chill enviornment, where you'll have relative creative freedom. I hope you are interested in joining the team, and have a good day!

To apply email me at mangemason@yahoo.com
    • By Andrew Parkes
      I am a talented 2D/3D artist with 3 years animation working experience and a Degree in Illustration and Animation. I have won a world-wide art competition hosted by SFX magazine and am looking to develop a survival game. I have some knowledge of C sharp and have notes for a survival based game with flexible storyline and PVP. Looking for developers to team up with. I can create models, animations and artwork and I have beginner knowledge of C sharp with Unity. The idea is Inventory menu based gameplay and is inspired by games like DAYZ.
      Here is some early sci-fi concept art to give you an idea of the work level. Hope to work with like minded people and create something special. email me andrewparkesanim@gmail.com.
      Developers who share the same passion please contact me, or if you have a similar project and want me to join your team email me. 
      Many thanks, Andrew.

• By thecheeselover
      I made this post on Reddit. I need ideas and information on how to create the ground mesh for my specifications.
    • By mike44
      Hi
      saw in dependency walker that my app still needs msvcp140d.dll even after disabling debug.
      What did I forget in the VS2017 release settings? After setting to multithreaded dll I get linker errors.
      Thanks

• By 3dmodelerguy
      So I have been playing around with yaml-cpp as I want to use YAML for most of my game data files however I am running into some pretty big performance issues and not sure if it is something I am doing or the library itself.
      I created this code in order to test a moderately sized file:
      Player newPlayer = Player(); newPlayer.name = "new player"; newPlayer.maximumHealth = 1000; newPlayer.currentHealth = 1; Inventory newInventory; newInventory.maximumWeight = 10.9f; for (int z = 0; z < 10000; z++) { InventoryItem* newItem = new InventoryItem(); newItem->name = "Stone"; newItem->baseValue = 1; newItem->weight = 0.1f; newInventory.items.push_back(newItem); } YAML::Node newSavedGame; newSavedGame["player"] = newPlayer; newSavedGame["inventory"] = newInventory; This is where I ran into my first issue, memory consumption.
      Before I added this code, the memory usage of my game was about 22MB. After I added everything expect the YAML::Node stuff, it went up to 23MB, so far nothing unexpected. Then when I added the YAML::Node and added data to it, the memory went up to 108MB. I am not sure why when I add the class instance it only adds like 1MB of memory but then copying that data to a YAML:Node instance, it take another 85MB of memory.
      So putting that issue aside, I want want to test the performance of writing out the files. the initial attempt looked like this:
      void YamlUtility::saveAsFile(YAML::Node node, std::string filePath) { std::ofstream myfile; myfile.open(filePath); myfile << node << std::endl; myfile.close(); } To write out the file (that ends up to be about 570KB), it took about 8 seconds to do that. That seems really slow to me.
      After read the documentation a little more I decide to try a different route using the YAML::Emitter, the implemntation looked like this:
      static void buildYamlManually(std::ofstream& file, YAML::Node node) { YAML::Emitter out; out << YAML::BeginMap << YAML::Key << "player" << YAML::Value << YAML::BeginMap << YAML::Key << "name" << YAML::Value << node["player"]["name"].as<std::string>() << YAML::Key << "maximumHealth" << YAML::Value << node["player"]["maximumHealth"].as<int>() << YAML::Key << "currentHealth" << YAML::Value << node["player"]["currentHealth"].as<int>() << YAML::EndMap; out << YAML::BeginSeq; std::vector<InventoryItem*> items = node["inventory"]["items"].as<std::vector<InventoryItem*>>(); for (InventoryItem* const value : items) { out << YAML::BeginMap << YAML::Key << "name" << YAML::Value << value->name << YAML::Key << "baseValue" << YAML::Value << value->baseValue << YAML::Key << "weight" << YAML::Value << value->weight << YAML::EndMap; } out << YAML::EndSeq; out << YAML::EndMap; file << out.c_str() << std::endl; } While this did seem to improve the speed, it was still take about 7 seconds instead of 8 seconds.
      Since it has been a while since I used C++ and was not sure if this was normal, I decided to for testing just write a simple method to manually generate the YAMLin this use case, that looked something like this:
      static void buildYamlManually(std::ofstream& file, SavedGame savedGame) { file << "player: \n" << " name: " << savedGame.player.name << "\n maximumHealth: " << savedGame.player.maximumHealth << "\n currentHealth: " << savedGame.player.currentHealth << "\ninventory:" << "\n maximumWeight: " << savedGame.inventory.maximumWeight << "\n items:"; for (InventoryItem* const value : savedGame.inventory.items) { file << "\n - name: " << value->name << "\n baseValue: " << value->baseValue << "\n weight: " << value->weight; } } This wrote the same file and it took about 0.15 seconds which seemed a lot more to what I was expecting.
      While I would expect some overhead in using yaml-cpp to manage and write out YAML files, it consuming 70X+ the amount of memory and it being 40X+ slower in writing files seems really bad.
      I am not sure if I am doing something wrong with how I am using yaml-cpp that would be causing this issue or maybe it was never design to handle large files but was just wondering if anyone has any insight on what might be happening here (or an alternative to dealing with YAMLin C++)?
    • By 3dmodelerguy
      So I am trying to using Yaml as my game data files (mainly because it support comments, is a bit easier to read than JSON, and I am going to be working in these files a lot) with C++ and yaml-cpp (https://github.com/jbeder/yaml-cpp) seems like the most popular library for dealing with it however I am running into an issue when using pointers.
      Here is my code:
      struct InventoryItem { std::string name; int baseValue; float weight; }; struct Inventory { float maximumWeight; std::vector<InventoryItem*> items; }; namespace YAML { template <> struct convert<InventoryItem*> { static Node encode(const InventoryItem* inventoryItem) { Node node; node["name"] = inventoryItem->name; node["baseValue"] = inventoryItem->baseValue; node["weight"] = inventoryItem->weight; return node; } static bool decode(const Node& node, InventoryItem* inventoryItem) { // @todo validation inventoryItem->name = node["name"].as<std::string>(); inventoryItem->baseValue = node["baseValue"].as<int>(); inventoryItem->weight = node["weight"].as<float>(); return true; } }; template <> struct convert<Inventory> { static Node encode(const Inventory& inventory) { Node node; node["maximumWeight"] = inventory.maximumWeight; node["items"] = inventory.items; return node; } static bool decode(const Node& node, Inventory& inventory) { // @todo validation inventory.maximumWeight = node["maximumWeight"].as<float>(); inventory.items = node["items"].as<std::vector<InventoryItem*>>(); return true; } }; } if I just did `std::vector<InventoryItem> items` and had the encode / decode use `InventoryItem& inventoryItem` everything works fine however when I use the code above that has it as a pointer, I get the following error from code that is part of the yaml-cpp library:
      impl.h(123): error C4700: uninitialized local variable 't' used The code with the error is:
      template <typename T> struct as_if<T, void> { explicit as_if(const Node& node_) : node(node_) {} const Node& node; T operator()() const { if (!node.m_pNode) throw TypedBadConversion<T>(node.Mark()); T t; if (convert<T>::decode(node, t)) // NOTE: THIS IS THE LINE THE COMPILER ERROR IS REFERENCING return t; throw TypedBadConversion<T>(node.Mark()); } }; With my relative lack of experience in C++ and not being able to find any documentation for yaml-cpp using pointers, I am not exactly sure what is wrong with my code.
      Anyone have any ideas what I need to change with my code? 
    • By Gnollrunner
      I already asked this question on stack overflow, and they got pissed at me, down-voted me and so forth, LOL .... so I'm pretty sure the answer is NO, but I'll try again here anyway just in case..... Is there any way to get the size of a polymorphic object at run-time? I know you can create a virtual function that returns size and overload it for each child class, but I'm trying to avoid that since (a) it takes a virtual function call and I want it to be fast and (b) it's a pain to have to include the size function for every subclass. I figure since each object has a v-table their should be some way since the information is there, but perhaps there is no portable way to do it.
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!