• Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By racarate
      Hey everybody!
      I am trying to replicate all these cool on-screen debug visuals I see in all the SIGGRAPH and GDC talks, but I really don't know where to start.  The only resource I know of is almost 16 years old:
      http://number-none.com/product/Interactive Profiling, Part 1/index.html
      Does anybody have a more up-to-date reference?  Do people use minimal UI libraries like Dear ImgGui?  Also, If I am profiling OpenGL ES 3.0 (which doesn't have timer queries) is there really anything I can do to measure performance GPU-wise?  Or should I just chart CPU-side frame time?  I feel like this is something people re-invent for every game there has gotta be a tutorial out there... right?

• By isu diss
      How do I fill the gap between sky and terrain? Scaling the terrain or procedural terrain rendering?

• By lucky6969b
      I've finished a class that can generate textures using the perlin noise function on the fly. The texture may be 2D or 3D. Also, I've seen a guy who can generate vector fields using perlin noise, but the problem is, when you do iterations to the 3D environment, you just have one value to turn, which is a scalar perhaps, and you want to do three things (yaw, pitch and roll), is it possible to generate a 3D vector field using the 3D perlin noise function?
      thanks
      Jack
    • By Ronan Hayes
      So i am working on a java swing breakout game and am on the last task to complete, which is detecting collision with a brick and then deleting it from the array so it cannot be seen on the screen. I have created a for loop which is somewhat working however the ball bounces off the bat/paddle and goes straight through the first few rows of bricks and then start to detect only the rows around the 6/7th row. Here is the loop i am working on. 
      public void runAsSeparateThread() { final float S = 3; // Units to move (Speed) try { synchronized ( Model.class ) // Make thread safe { GameObj ball = getBall(); // Ball in game GameObj bat = getBat(); // Bat ArrayList<GameObj> bricks = getBricks(); // Bricks } while (runGame) { synchronized ( Model.class ) // Make thread safe { float x = ball.getX(); // Current x,y position float y = ball.getY(); // Deal with possible edge of board hit if (x >= W - B - BALL_SIZE) ball.changeDirectionX(); if (x <= 0 + B ) ball.changeDirectionX(); if (y >= H - B - BALL_SIZE) // Bottom { ball.changeDirectionY(); addToScore( HIT_BOTTOM ); } if (y <= 0 + M ) ball.changeDirectionY(); // As only a hit on the bat/ball is detected it is // assumed to be on the top or bottom of the object. // A hit on the left or right of the object // has an interesting affect boolean hit = false; // *[3]******************************************************[3]* // * Fill in code to check if a visible brick has been hit * // * The ball has no effect on an invisible brick * // ************************************************************** for ( int i = 0; i <= 60; i++ ){ GameObj brick1 = bricks.get(i); if ( brick1.hitBy(ball) ){ bricks.remove(i); //hit = true; ball.changeDirectionY(); //ball.changeDirectionX(); addToScore(50); } } if (hit) ball.changeDirectionY(); if ( ball.hitBy(bat) ) ball.changeDirectionY(); } modelChanged(); // Model changed refresh screen Thread.sleep( fast ? 2 : 20 ); ball.moveX(S); ball.moveY(S); } } catch (Exception e) { Debug.error("Model.runAsSeparateThread - Error\n%s", e.getMessage() ); } } } i need to be able to break each brick individually and for them to rebound ... this is the code that i am working with so far 
      for ( int i = 0; i <= 60; i++ ){ GameObj brick1 = bricks.get(i); if ( brick1.hitBy(ball) ){ bricks.remove(i); //hit = true; ball.changeDirectionY(); //ball.changeDirectionX(); addToScore(50); } }  
    • By Achivai
      Hey, I am semi-new to 3d-programming and I've hit a snag. I have one object, let's call it Object A. This object has a long int array of 3d xyz-positions stored in it's vbo as an instanced attribute. I am using these numbers to instance object A a couple of thousand times. So far so good. 
      Now I've hit a point where I want to remove one of these instances of object A while the game is running, but I'm not quite sure how to go about it. At first my thought was to update the instanced attribute of Object A and change the positions to some dummy number that I could catch in the vertex shader and then decide there whether to draw the instance of Object A or not, but I think that would be expensive to do while the game is running, considering that it might have to be done several times every frame in some cases. 
      I'm not sure how to proceed, anyone have any tips?
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement

OpenGL Libgdx Vertex Buffering? Where to start?

I'm working on a voxel engine using Libgdx and I've been reading that using vertex buffering will increase my performance dramatically. I understand it to be packaging up all of the renderables into one object and sending that to the GPU as opposed to making thousands of draw calls individually. This sound really convenient, but I can't seem to wrap my head around it. I've looked at the wiki but still don't really know how this would be implemented. 

Edit: From further reading, what I think I want to do is convert a list of modelInstances into a mesh? Is that correct? If so, how do I go about doing that?

Edited by stein102

Advertisement