need help in making a simple sweep effect in opengl

Started by
7 comments, last by markshaw001 6 years, 6 months ago

Hi can anyone give me hint how to write a shader for making an animation of a transparent sweep means a line moving about 180 degree on the screen the line.

Advertisement

What language, as in what opengl are you using? If your using a game engine also give us the name, it matters when the engine has shader tools.

Are you sure you can't do the radar outside of a shader? I can think of a million easier ways of making the radar.

@Scouting Ninja i am using opengl 3.0 and c++ i am good at c++ but new to opengl if you can suggest a way to make this effect without using shaders i shall be very thankful to you, but as i searched the internet this kind of effects are done by shader the effect i am after is a transparent or an invisible line moving through the scene from left to right 

@Scouting Ninja i am using opengl 3.0 and c++ i am good at c++ but new to opengl if you can suggest a way to make this effect without using shaders i shall be very thankful to you, but as i searched the internet this kind of effects are done by shader the effect i am after is a transparent or an invisible line moving through the scene from left to right  

46 minutes ago, markshaw001 said:

the effect i am after is a transparent or an invisible line moving through the scene from left to right

If it is transparent or invisible, then you have nothing to do :)

well the issue is that it just show on the screen that a line is passing like a dot passing with the line in  heartbeat monitring machine

22 hours ago, markshaw001 said:

but new to opengl if you can suggest a way to make this effect without using shaders i shall be very thankful to you

Sprite sheets are often used for these effects if they are just extra's on a wall.

The other way of making them as meshes. The advantage of this way is high detail and the mesh used can be given there own material and shaders for effects.

For a really good looking radar I would use both a sprite sheet and textures. Do you know how to make a shader that renders a texture to a mesh?

Also do you know how to load a mesh into a opengl scene?

What you can do is render 3 meshes with textures. One of them you can animate like a sprite sheet and the others as still textures. Then you could rotate the one for the beam.

RadarEx.jpg.7b696d088190484bd8ad7429a4077176.jpg

This image is a quick example of what I mean.

1 hour ago, Scouting Ninja said:

For a really good looking radar I would use both a sprite sheet and textures. Do you know how to make a shader that renders a texture to a mesh?

i don't know how to do that but i will try to learn that

@Scouting Ninja thanks for ur advice u have been alot of help i will try to do wt you have told me and i think it is quite close to wt i want to do

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement