Sign in to follow this  
matt77hias

Restricting class template argument to PODs

I use the following code for restricting a class template argument to be a Plain Old Data type:

template< typename T, typename Enable = void >
struct Vector2;

template< typename T >
struct Vector2< T, typename std::enable_if< std::is_pod< T >::value, void >::type> {

// ...

}

I understand the std::enable_if construct, but I do not understand why I need the "first Vector2" declaration. Of course if I hadn't this one, I couldn't do things like:

using F32x2 = Vector2< F32 >;

But what is the magic behind: typename Enable = void and how is this connected to the "second Vector2" declaration?

Edited by matt77hias

What you are doing is called SFINEA. Theres not that much magic going on:

The first declaration of Vector2 is the actual declaration of Vector2. "typename Enable = void" is just a regular template parameter with a default value of "void" (which is there so you can use Vector2 with only one argument). The second declaration is actually a spezialisation of the first (lookup template spezialisation when you are unsure about that), and due to SFINEA rules and how std::enable_if works, it will only be available when std::is_pod is actually satisfied - for all other types, it will select the unspecialized declaration #1. Thats all there is to it :)

Actually, I'd personally just use one vector-declaration, and use a static-assert instead:

template<typename Type>
struct Vector2
  {
  	static_assert(std::is_pod_v<Type>, "Type must be pod.");
  };

Almost same effect, easier to understand code, and easier-to-understand error reporting, IMHO. Also, wouldn't you want to check for std::is_arithmetic instead, or do you specifically want to support custom-POD structs as well? :)

17 minutes ago, Juliean said:

Almost same effect, easier to understand code, and easier-to-understand error reporting, IMHO. Also, wouldn't you want to check for std::is_arithmetic instead, or do you specifically want to support custom-POD structs as well? :)

That one is idd. a better choice for my purposes.

Thanks for the clear explanation!

24 minutes ago, Juliean said:

and use a static-assert instead:

It depends, if you still want to allow to define a different specialization, you need the std::enable_if.

Otherwise, both will work. But you're right that in this case the static_assert is more concise and clearer. On the other hand changing the template seems easier to document with some tool such as Doxygen.

29 minutes ago, Juliean said:

What you are doing is called SFINEA.

Does this required some changes to the C++98 compiler to support this?

2 hours ago, matt77hias said:

It depends, if you still want to allow to define a different specialization, you need the std::enable_if.

If you want to specialize based on a another range of types, sure, for specialization based on single types you wouldn't need it though:

template<typename Type>
struct Vector2
{
};

template<>
struct Vector2<double>
{
};

So unless you actually know what different set of types you'd want to specialize against, I'd put it under YAGNI, and stick with the solution that fits more right now.

2 hours ago, matt77hias said:

Does this required some changes to the C++98 compiler to support this?

Cannot really answer that. Expression-SFINEA certainly required a compiler-change from what I can tell, but as for the older parts of SFINEA, I cannot tell.