• Advertisement
????????? ?????

3D Mesh Simplification & Decimation

Hello i recently started to tackle the various mesh decimation & simplification algorithms, mostly from Hoppe & Melax. The algorithms in question are the Quadric error metrics mesh simplification & the Progressive mesh simplification. I found a few good github starting points (VTK, hoppe's & melax's githubs etc.) to try and test the various implementations but i run into some problems:

1. I tried to simplify a few of mine and a few of the provided (inside the code base) meshes and i noticed that not all meshes survive the same simplification. For example a 400 vertices robot mesh can be simplified down do 10-20 (or about 3-7% of the src vertices) vertices without any problem no missing faces or huge topology distortion, yet an Eagle mesh with 3000 vertices can be just simplified to 1900-2000 (or about ~60-70% of the src vertices) vertices before i start noticing that the mesh starts to lose faces (which leads to a mesh with quite noticeable number of holes). And that is something i noticed with quite a few models (be it mine or the provided). I would like to know what is the actual cause which stops / prohibits some meshes from being simplified as much as others. I am probably asking a quite stupid or obvious question 

2. Even if the simplification was perfect i still have difficulty figuring out how would i preserve the vertex appearance (uv coord, tangents, normals etc.) I read a few papers - one in particular from Hoppe - New Quadric Metric for Simplifying Meshes with Appearance Attributes. But did not find any real world examples or at least snippets of code to give me a better grasp of the technique

Furthermore what has been bugging me lately is more about techniques to dynamically render different LOD levels when walking over a large terrain mesh (non regular grid - NOT generated from a height map, noise, 2D data, etc. so clipmapping techniques and alike go to the bin). I will give you a CS:GO analogy or Take League of Legends as it seems a more appropriate example here, i am not sure if they are doing that exact thing, but presume that their maps are mostly hand crafted, all trees, boxes, walls buildings which are not interactive, destructible or static are probably embedded and modeled along with the rest of the map & terrain. This can potentially allow for fewer draw calls, and much richer environment. But then again how would one optimize such a huge rendering step, where the entire model of the map / terrain may consist of at least 400-500k triangles at best
Or is it just a flat plane, with everything else rendered as a separate entity on top (instancing where possible, although given that most objects are quite unique and not very many instancing will be limited) ?

Edited by ????????? ?????

Advertisement

No answers, but some input...

http://igl.ethz.ch/projects/instant-meshes/

Interesting remeshing project, mainly due its performance and simplicity.

Remeshing and LODs is closely related. You should also try Simplygon which offers both options. There remeshing can fuse multiple objects and materials. Think of fusing terrain and individual rock models: In combination with megatexturing you can turn geometry into texture texels at the distance. Another interesting usecase for remeshing is geometry images and displacement mapping. (although i'm not impressd by current hardware displacement mapping, but the idea presists.)

There is also the idea to morph between fixed precalculated LOD levels. So instead of traversing something like a tree of collapsing edges, each LOD level has a morphing version with the vertex count of the higher detail level, but also knowing the positions of the lower detail to allow seamless transition (much more hardware friendly).

For high frequency/detailed geometry (e.g. vegetation) none of the above can do wonders, but things like volume rendering, splatting or automatic generation of billboards makes sense.

Personally i think the main issue is that we lack robust algorithms that can 'understand' geometry. Just collapsing edges is pretty naive if you think about it. Most interesting current approaches are there in the fields of quad remeshing (e.g. 'QuadCover' or 'Mixed Integer Quadrangulation') or automatic generation of Polycubes. Unlike the simple project linked above those methods try to find a global (likely minimal) set of singularities on the surface, and from that you could calculate things like minimal possible LOD or seamless UV parametrization (the latter is my current interest).

Edit:

There is also related research on texture mapping: http://www.cemyuksel.com/courses/conferences/siggraph2017-rethinking_texture_mapping/rethinking_texture_mapping_course_notes.pdf

E.g. you can use volume encoded UV maps to decouple mesh LODs from texture coords.

Edited by JoeJ

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Similar Content

• By Andrew Parkes
      I am a talented 2D/3D artist with 3 years animation working experience and a Degree in Illustration and Animation. I have won a world-wide art competition hosted by SFX magazine and am looking to develop a survival game. I have some knowledge of C sharp and have notes for a survival based game with flexible storyline and PVP. Looking for developers to team up with. I can create models, animations and artwork and I have beginner knowledge of C sharp with Unity. The idea is Inventory menu based gameplay and is inspired by games like DAYZ.
      Here is some early sci-fi concept art to give you an idea of the work level. Hope to work with like minded people and create something special. email me andrewparkesanim@gmail.com.
      Developers who share the same passion please contact me, or if you have a similar project and want me to join your team email me. 
      Many thanks, Andrew.

• By thecheeselover
      I made this post on Reddit. I need ideas and information on how to create the ground mesh for my specifications.
    • By N Drew
      I am working on a 2D SideScroller game in my own made game engine using SFML and C++.I am searching for 2D artists,especially pixel artist for making and animating characters,backgrounds and other props that can be made in any Drawing Program.The artist will become part of the team of Hammer Studios and he got a part of the Revenue Sharing.If you are interested send me a mail at:ghiurcutaandrei@gmail.com .If you are not an artist but you want to be a part of our Team,Soon we will be recruiting an C++ AI programmers that worked in SFML/OpenGL.
      We work together using Discord.

• By nOoNEE
      i am reading this book : link
      in the OpenGL Rendering Pipeline section there is a picture like this: link
      but the question is this i dont really understand why it is necessary to turn pixel data in to fragment and then fragment into pixel could please give me a source or a clear Explanation that why it is necessary ? thank you so mu

• By Canadian Map Makers
      GOVERNOR is a modernized version of the highly popular series of “Caesar” games. Our small team has already developed maps, written specifications, acquired music and performed the historical research needed to create a good base for the programming part of the project.

Our ultimate goal is to create a world class multi-level strategic city building game, but to start with we would like to create some of the simpler modules to demonstrate proof of concept and graphical elegance.

We would like programmers and graphical artists to come onboard to (initially) create:

A module where Province wide infrastructure can be built on an interactive 3D map of one of the ancient Roman Provinces.
      A module where city infrastructure can be built on a real 3D interactive landscape.
      For both parts, geographically and historically accurate base maps will be prepared by our team cartographer. Graphics development will be using Blender. The game engine will be Unity.

More information, and examples of the work carried out so far can be found at http://playgovernor.com/ (most of the interesting content is under the Encyclopedia tab).

This project represents a good opportunity for upcoming programmers and 3D modeling artists to develop something for their portfolios in a relatively short time span, working closely with one of Canada’s leading cartographers. There is also the possibility of being involved in this project to the point of a finished game and commercial success! Above all, this is a fun project to work on.

Best regards,

Steve Chapman (Canadian Map Makers)

• By RobMaddison
      Hi
      I’ve been working on a game engine for years and I’ve recently come back to it after a couple of years break.  Because my engine uses DirectX9.0c I thought maybe it would be a good idea to upgrade it to DX11. I then installed Windows 10 and starting tinkering around with the engine trying to refamiliarise myself with all the code.
      It all seems to work ok in the new OS but there’s something I’ve noticed that has caused a massive slowdown in frame rate. My engine has a relatively sophisticated terrain system which includes the ability to paint roads onto it, ala CryEngine. The roads are spline curves and built up with polygons matching the terrain surface. It used to work perfectly but I’ve noticed that when I’m dynamically adding the roads, which involves moving the spline curve control points around the surface of the terrain, the frame rate comes to a grinding halt.
      There’s some relatively complex processing going on each time the mouse moves - the road either side of the control point(s) being moved, is reconstructed in real time so you can position and bend the road precisely. On my previous OS, which was Win2k Pro, this worked really smoothly and in release mode there was barely any slow down in frame rate, but now it’s unusable. As part of the road reconstruction, I lock the vertex and index buffers and refill them with the new values so my question is, on windows 10 using DX9, is anyone aware of any locking issues? I’m aware that there can be contention when locking buffers dynamically but I’m locking with LOCK_DISCARD and this has never been an issue before.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    • By MikhailGorobets
      I have a problem with SSAO. On left hand black area.
      Code shader:
      Texture2D<uint> texGBufferNormal : register(t0); Texture2D<float> texGBufferDepth : register(t1); Texture2D<float4> texSSAONoise : register(t2); float3 GetUV(float3 position) { float4 vp = mul(float4(position, 1.0), ViewProject); vp.xy = float2(0.5, 0.5) + float2(0.5, -0.5) * vp.xy / vp.w; return float3(vp.xy, vp.z / vp.w); } float3 GetNormal(in Texture2D<uint> texNormal, in int3 coord) { return normalize(2.0 * UnpackNormalSphermap(texNormal.Load(coord)) - 1.0); } float3 GetPosition(in Texture2D<float> texDepth, in int3 coord) { float4 position = 1.0; float2 size; texDepth.GetDimensions(size.x, size.y); position.x = 2.0 * (coord.x / size.x) - 1.0; position.y = -(2.0 * (coord.y / size.y) - 1.0); position.z = texDepth.Load(coord); position = mul(position, ViewProjectInverse); position /= position.w; return position.xyz; } float3 GetPosition(in float2 coord, float depth) { float4 position = 1.0; position.x = 2.0 * coord.x - 1.0; position.y = -(2.0 * coord.y - 1.0); position.z = depth; position = mul(position, ViewProjectInverse); position /= position.w; return position.xyz; } float DepthInvSqrt(float nonLinearDepth) { return 1 / sqrt(1.0 - nonLinearDepth); } float GetDepth(in Texture2D<float> texDepth, float2 uv) { return texGBufferDepth.Sample(samplerPoint, uv); } float GetDepth(in Texture2D<float> texDepth, int3 screenPos) { return texGBufferDepth.Load(screenPos); } float CalculateOcclusion(in float3 position, in float3 direction, in float radius, in float pixelDepth) { float3 uv = GetUV(position + radius * direction); float d1 = DepthInvSqrt(GetDepth(texGBufferDepth, uv.xy)); float d2 = DepthInvSqrt(uv.z); return step(d1 - d2, 0) * min(1.0, radius / abs(d2 - pixelDepth)); } float GetRNDTexFactor(float2 texSize) { float width; float height; texGBufferDepth.GetDimensions(width, height); return float2(width, height) / texSize; } float main(FullScreenPSIn input) : SV_TARGET0 { int3 screenPos = int3(input.Position.xy, 0); float depth = DepthInvSqrt(GetDepth(texGBufferDepth, screenPos)); float3 normal = GetNormal(texGBufferNormal, screenPos); float3 position = GetPosition(texGBufferDepth, screenPos) + normal * SSAO_NORMAL_BIAS; float3 random = normalize(2.0 * texSSAONoise.Sample(samplerNoise, input.Texcoord * GetRNDTexFactor(SSAO_RND_TEX_SIZE)).rgb - 1.0); float SSAO = 0; [unroll] for (int index = 0; index < SSAO_KERNEL_SIZE; index++) { float3 dir = reflect(SamplesKernel[index].xyz, random); SSAO += CalculateOcclusion(position, dir * sign(dot(dir, normal)), SSAO_RADIUS, depth); } return 1.0 - SSAO / SSAO_KERNEL_SIZE; }  

• By Inbar_xz
      I'm using the OPENGL with eclipse+JOGL.
      My goal is to create movement of the camera and the player.
      I create main class, which create some box in 3D and hold 
      an object of PlayerAxis.
      I create PlayerAxis class which hold the axis of the player.
      If we want to move the camera, then in the main class I call to 
      the func "cameraMove"(from PlayerAxis) and it update the player axis.
      That's work good.
      The problem start if I move the camera on 2 axis, 
      for example if I move with the camera right(that's on the y axis)
      and then down(on the x axis) -
      in some point the move front is not to the front anymore..
      In order to move to the front, I do
      player.playerMoving(0, 0, 1);
      And I learn that in order to keep the front move, 
      I need to convert (0, 0, 1) to the player axis, and then add this.
      I think I dont do the convert right.. 
      I will be glad for help!

Here is part of my PlayerAxis class:

//player coordinate float x[] = new float[3]; float y[] = new float[3]; float z[] = new float[3]; public PlayerAxis(float move_step, float angle_move) { x[0] = 1; y[1] = 1; z[2] = -1; step = move_step; angle = angle_move; setTransMatrix(); } public void cameraMoving(float angle_step, String axis) { float[] new_x = x; float[] new_y = y; float[] new_z = z; float alfa = angle_step * angle; switch(axis) { case "x": new_z = addVectors(multScalar(z, COS(alfa)), multScalar(y, SIN(alfa))); new_y = subVectors(multScalar(y, COS(alfa)), multScalar(z, SIN(alfa))); break; case "y": new_x = addVectors(multScalar(x, COS(alfa)), multScalar(z, SIN(alfa))); new_z = subVectors(multScalar(z, COS(alfa)), multScalar(x, SIN(alfa))); break; case "z": new_x = addVectors(multScalar(x, COS(alfa)), multScalar(y, SIN(alfa))); new_y = subVectors(multScalar(y, COS(alfa)), multScalar(x, SIN(alfa))); } x = new_x; y = new_y; z = new_z; normalization(); } public void playerMoving(float x_move, float y_move, float z_move) { float[] move = new float[3]; move[0] = x_move; move[1] = y_move; move[2] = z_move; setTransMatrix(); float[] trans_move = transVector(move); position[0] = position[0] + step*trans_move[0]; position[1] = position[1] + step*trans_move[1]; position[2] = position[2] + step*trans_move[2]; } public void setTransMatrix() { for (int i = 0; i < 3; i++) { coordiTrans[0][i] = x[i]; coordiTrans[1][i] = y[i]; coordiTrans[2][i] = z[i]; } } public float[] transVector(float[] v) { return multiplyMatrixInVector(coordiTrans, v); }  
      and in the main class i have this:

public void keyPressed(KeyEvent e) { if (e.getKeyCode()== KeyEvent.VK_ESCAPE) { System.exit(0); //player move } else if (e.getKeyCode()== KeyEvent.VK_W) { //front //moveAmount[2] += -0.1f; player.playerMoving(0, 0, 1); } else if (e.getKeyCode()== KeyEvent.VK_S) { //back //moveAmount[2] += 0.1f; player.playerMoving(0, 0, -1); } else if (e.getKeyCode()== KeyEvent.VK_A) { //left //moveAmount[0] += -0.1f; player.playerMoving(-1, 0, 0); } else if (e.getKeyCode()== KeyEvent.VK_D) { //right //moveAmount[0] += 0.1f; player.playerMoving(1, 0, 0); } else if (e.getKeyCode()== KeyEvent.VK_E) { //moveAmount[0] += 0.1f; player.playerMoving(0, 1, 0); } else if (e.getKeyCode()== KeyEvent.VK_Q) { //moveAmount[0] += 0.1f; player.playerMoving(0, -1, 0); //camera move } else if (e.getKeyCode()== KeyEvent.VK_I) { //up player.cameraMoving(1, "x"); } else if (e.getKeyCode()== KeyEvent.VK_K) { //down player.cameraMoving(-1, "x"); } else if (e.getKeyCode()== KeyEvent.VK_L) { //right player.cameraMoving(-1, "y"); } else if (e.getKeyCode()== KeyEvent.VK_J) { //left player.cameraMoving(1, "y"); } else if (e.getKeyCode()== KeyEvent.VK_O) { //right round player.cameraMoving(-1, "z"); } else if (e.getKeyCode()== KeyEvent.VK_U) { //left round player.cameraMoving(1, "z"); } }  
      finallt found it.... i confused with the transformation matrix row and col. thanks anyway!
    • By Ike aka Dk
      Hello everyone 
      I am a programmer from Baku.
      I need a 3D Modeller for my shooter project in unity.I have 2 years Unity exp.
      Project will paid when we finish the work 
      If you interested write me on email:
      mr.danilo911@gmail.com
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!