• Advertisement
Qyter

What should I do for my first game?

Ok I want to make my first game, I know basic coding for c# and I know how to do pixel art. I know how to make enemies with different states like idle attacking and stunted, the same for the player. I know how to make the player move. I want to make a 2d rpg game. So can you give me some advice like should I use Unity or Gamemaker, or even something else should I try to do the 2d rpg game that I want or should I start with something even simpler.

Advertisement

I'd start with a game as simple as possible and make sure to completely finish it. So Yes, even simpler then a "small" rpg. Perhaps something like pacman, pong, asteroids etc.

framework/ engine is up to you, Unity has a great community and the entry level is low. 

When I was a young boy there were a path we used to follow, and it was, first make a tetris, then a breakout, then a pacman and finally a 2d platformer.

Nowadays is easier if you use a framework, but I believe it still work. Maybe if tetris it's too hard you can make a tic tac toe first.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!