Anyone around here wanting to be a game writer or some creative designer?

Started by
22 comments, last by Stryder1234 6 years, 5 months ago

I've posted in the writing forum a few times, as my goal is to be a writer in games. Maybe books too. Actually both would be fun. But I'd also like to try other creative design, like making dialogue for cutscenes and helping direct those. However I might need some sort of film degree, which I don't have and not studying for right now. :(  I'd also like to try developing mechanics and levels. I'd think that would be working hand in hand as a writer, depending on the project. FAr out ideas would be voice acting. I also have no experience there. But you can learn on the spot! Look at what Melina Juergens did as Senua in Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. No acting experience. Gave a phenomenal performance.

So any other writers here? What sort of work do you want to do in games?

"Don't make a girl a promise....if you know you can't keep it." - Halo 2

"If they came to hear me beg, they would be disappointed." - Halo 2

"Were it so Easy." - Halo 3

"Dear Humanity. We regret being alien bastards. We regret coming to earth. And we most certainly regret that the Corps just blew up our raggedy a** fleet!" - Halo 2

"One Final Effort is all that remains." - Halo 3

"Brute ships! Staggered line! Ship Master, they outnumber us, three to one!"

(response) "Then it is an even fight. All ships fire at will! Burn their mongrel hides!" - Halo 3

"Everyone I have cared for has either died or left me. Everybody  f****** except for you! So you don't tell me I'd be safer with someone else, because the truth is I would just be more scared." The Last of Us

"If you had had a child, Elisabet, what would you have wished for him or her?" (GAIA)

(response) "I guess....I would have wanted her to be...curious. And willful -- unstoppable even...but with enough compassion to...heal the world...just a little bit." Elisabet Sobeck to GAIA - Horizon Zero Dawn

Advertisement
10 hours ago, Matthew Birdzell said:

I've posted in the writing forum a few times

10 hours ago, Matthew Birdzell said:

So any other writers here? What sort of work do you want to do in games?

If you want writers to read your post, this needs to be in the Writing forum. Moving it there.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

2 hours ago, Tom Sloper said:

If you want writers to read your post, this needs to be in the Writing forum. Moving it there.

I posted it here hoping it would reach out to more people than writers, like I asked in my question. Then again, perhaps you're right.

"Dear Humanity. We regret being alien bastards. We regret coming to earth. And we most certainly regret that the Corps just blew up our raggedy a** fleet!" - Halo 2

(response) "Then it is an even fight. All ships fire at will! Burn their mongrel hides!" - Halo 3

"Everyone I have cared for has either died or left me. Everybody  f****** except for you! So you don't tell me I'd be safer with someone else, because the truth is I would just be more scared." The Last of Us

"If you had had a child, Elisabet, what would you have wished for him or her?" (GAIA)

(response) "I guess....I would have wanted her to be...curious. And willful -- unstoppable even...but with enough compassion to...heal the world...just a little bit." Elisabet Sobeck to GAIA - Horizon Zero Dawn

I went to DePaul University to get a Game Development degree, and I focused on the writing/design aspects of it. I love writing, and it's my dream to write for Nintendo one day.

I co-operate an indie game studio, and my number one goal is for the studio to get big enough for me to just be a video game writer. Not to say that I don't like programming, artwork, etc. but I really enjoy all of video game writing. Even the small parts like naming places, weapons, and people are really enjoyable for me. I have tried to write books, I've thought about writing for movies, but in the end it is video game writing that makes me the happiest. Video game writing engages it's consumers in a way that books, movies, and tv never could. You are there, in the action, blowing up bridges, or rescuing damsels in distress. When you beat a game, you feel as if you personally went through a journey. YOU saved those people. YOU sacrificed yourself. YOU made those mistakes. Through video game storytelling you have the power to completely and dramatically change the consumer's views on life. It really is a powerful feeling, and one that I wouldn't give up for anything.

10 hours ago, Novadude987 said:

I co-operate an indie game studio, and my number one goal is for the studio to get big enough for me to just be a video game writer. Not to say that I don't like programming, artwork, etc. but I really enjoy all of video game writing. Even the small parts like naming places, weapons, and people are really enjoyable for me. I have tried to write books, I've thought about writing for movies, but in the end it is video game writing that makes me the happiest. Video game writing engages it's consumers in a way that books, movies, and tv never could. You are there, in the action, blowing up bridges, or rescuing damsels in distress. When you beat a game, you feel as if you personally went through a journey. YOU saved those people. YOU sacrificed yourself. YOU made those mistakes. Through video game storytelling you have the power to completely and dramatically change the consumer's views on life. It really is a powerful feeling, and one that I wouldn't give up for anything.

I love it. Thats great!

23 hours ago, Novadude987 said:

Is it possible you can write for movies, books and video games altogether depending on your creativity or ideas?

10 minutes ago, Stryder1234 said:

Is it possible you can write for movies, books and video games altogether depending on your creativity or ideas?

I imagine it is all very possible. I think determination is key in this though as it takes a lot of effort, creativity, and patience to write a story, even more so if you are to write for 3 different types of media. I believe one of our moderators Tom Sloper, has produced and designed board games, video games, and even has a site. He also wrote a book on Mah-Jongg. All of this considered, I very well believe that with writing you can do as much or as little as your determination and creativity will allow you. :)

29 minutes ago, Novadude987 said:

I imagine it is all very possible. I think determination is key in this though as it takes a lot of effort, creativity, and patience to write a story, even more so if you are to write for 3 different types of media. I believe one of our moderators Tom Sloper, has produced and designed board games, video games, and even has a site. He also wrote a book on Mah-Jongg. All of this considered, I very well believe that with writing you can do as much or as little as your determination and creativity will allow you. :)

I couldn't agree more. If it is all well put together nicely than I think there's lots of potential.

One of my story lines involves fictional creatures and other horror tropes fighting each other in a duel battle with other monsters in the mix. Some have critiqued my ideas with negativity that it sounds kind of dumb like example, how a scarecrow or snowman creature would fit well being as fighters. But if it developed more originality I'm sure some will find it interesting.

56 minutes ago, Stryder1234 said:

Some have critiqued my ideas with negativity that it sounds kind of dumb like example, how a scarecrow or snowman creature would fit well being as fighters.

I hope you're not talking about me. What I said was that you (I think that was you, in another thread) were unnecessarily worried about making them realistic, since they are inherently unrealistic. By all means, include fighting scarecrows and fighting snowmen in your design - but just don't worry about how to make them realistic.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement