• Advertisement
Coleo Carlson

[HELP] i need help with my 2d game code

Advertisement

1. Player is a null reference, meaning GameObject.Find() failed to find the player and returned null.

2. For simple 2D collision avoid rigidbody physics unless you want something realistic (or a serious shortcut). Look into Physics2D.Overlap methods. If you just want it to work quickly with rigidbody physics, make sure gravity is off and make use of the OnCollisionEnter() callback method

ok i disabled my player for this part so that makes scence but i dont know anything about physics2d.over lap because im just watching a video on how to make a game and im just doing what he does

Edited by Coleo Carlson

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Similar Content

• By Luke McManus
      Hey all,

So I have this unfathomable obsession with the games LIMBO and INSIDE, two games produced by Playdead Studios. But as a sound designer, I'm specifically into the audio of the game, its use of ambient tracks and specific sounds to create this level of emotion I've never felt in a platformer before.

I took a stab at redesigning the sound and ambiance of one of LIMBO's trailers to see if I could replicate such emotionality with my own creativity. Check it out below. All feedback is appreciated. 
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LgHHBtAWwE
      Thanks!
    • By RoKabium Games
      Been a bit quiet recently, but we've been busy bug fixing and tweaking things... Now we have lots more 'Particle effects' in the game, specifically here the Flamethrower and Enemy attacks!
    • By JoshuaFraser
      Hi and thanks for reading, I have an issue with this reactive crosshair script, everything works fine until I start changing the offset. Give the script a go and you will see what I mean, when I do SetOffset(0f); it doesnt always set back to the origional state, if anyone can spot a fix I'd be super appreciative!
      using System.Collections; using System.Collections.Generic; using UnityEngine; public class ReactiveCrosshair : MonoBehaviour { [SerializeField] GameObject c_limb_prefab; private float center_offset = 0f; private float current_offset = 0f; private float max_offset = .5f; private int number_of_limbs = 4; private float limb_length = .05f; private float limb_width = .005f; private List<GameObject> c_limbs = new List<GameObject>(); public void SetupCrosshair(){ for (int i = 0; i < number_of_limbs; i++) { GameObject line_go = (GameObject)Instantiate (c_limb_prefab); line_go.transform.SetParent (this.transform); Vector3 limb_pos = new Vector3 (0f,0f,0f); //line_go.transform.position = limb_pos; line_go.transform.localPosition = limb_pos; LineRenderer line = line_go.GetComponent<LineRenderer>(); line.startWidth = limb_width; line.positionCount = 2; line.SetPosition (0, line_go.transform.localPosition + new Vector3(center_offset, 0f, 0f)); line.SetPosition (1, line_go.transform.localPosition + new Vector3(center_offset + limb_length, 0f, 0f)); line.useWorldSpace = false; c_limbs.Add(line_go.gameObject); } if (c_limbs != null) { OrientLimbs (); SetOffset (0f); } } public void OrientLimbs(){ for (int i = 0; i < c_limbs.Count; i++) { float rotation_step = 360f / (float)c_limbs.Count; c_limbs [i].transform.RotateAround (c_limbs[i].transform.position, c_limbs[i].transform.forward, 90f + (rotation_step * (float)i)); } } public void SetOffset(float _current_spread){ float offset = Mathf.Lerp (0f, max_offset, _current_spread); for (int i = 0; i < number_of_limbs; i++) { if (offset > current_offset) { Vector3 pos = c_limbs [i].transform.position + (c_limbs [i].transform.TransformDirection (Vector3.right) * offset); c_limbs [i].transform.position = pos; } if (offset < current_offset) { Vector3 pos = c_limbs [i].transform.position - (c_limbs [i].transform.TransformDirection (Vector3.right) * offset); c_limbs [i].transform.position = pos; } } Debug.Log ("SetOffset() offset: " + offset.ToString () + " _current_spread: " + _current_spread.ToString() + " localPos: " + c_limbs[1].transform.localPosition); current_offset = offset; } }  
    • By Woody Stevens
      Hi,

I am looking for a TCP or HTTP networking library similar to Lidgren (UDP).

This is primarily for sending game map data and potentially other large messages from Server to Client.

I do want to keep Lidgren for my chat messages, player position, small fast updates etc. I especially love the flow of data and the library usage in general, so any libraries of a similar style would be excellent. Preferably something open source, free and reliable.
      I also must be able to swap between localhost and an ip address with ease, like Lidgren, as I run a server for singleplayer/mp/lan.

My game maps are similar to minecraft, but it is 2d and only one Z-level, so i'm sending a jagged array of Tile object data (currently only enum TileID.Grass) down the pipe to the Client. Problem is if i'm sending a large map 1024 x 1024 tiles down the to client that's quite a lot of data, and Lidgren is relatively slow to build the writes (before the message is even sent!). It is fine when i'm using smaller maps < 512 x 512 ( xTiles * yTiles ).

I know about chunking and will look into implementing this later, whilst taking into account the user's position in the world to only send nearby chunks.

An example of my code that can be slow:
      private void WriteWorld(NetOutgoingMessage outgoing) { try { var world = WorldManager.Instance.CurrentWorld; outgoing.Write(world.XTiles); outgoing.Write(world.YTiles); for (int x = 0; x < world.XTiles; x++) { for (int y = 0; y < world.YTiles; y++) { // Write Tile obj data outgoing.Write((int)world.Tiles[x][y]); // <-------- Slow here when xTiles and yTiles are each > 512 ! } } } catch (Exception ex) { // log send error } }  
      I'd love to hear from you guys, especially if any of you have come across a similar challenge.
    • By ethancodes
      I'm working on a system for my game that will allow the player to stack pick ups in a queue. As one pick up expires, the next automatically activates. I'm having an issue though where if I pick up the first one, it activates fine, but if i pick up a second directly after it, it overrides the first one, activates the second one, and then once it has run it's course, everything goes back to normal gameplay, no first pick up. I'm not sure why this is happening. Hopefully someone can spot what I'm doing wrong in my code.
      Here is the code for the pick up manager:
      // Update is called once per frame void Update () { if (pickUpQueue.Count != 0 && !pickUpActive) { pickUpActive = true; pickUpQueue[0].ActivatePickUp(); } DeactivatePickUp(); } void DeactivatePickUp () { if (pickUpQueue.Count != 0 && pickUpActive) { Destroy (pickUpQueue [0]); pickUpQueue.RemoveAt (0); pickUpActive = false; } } And here is the PickUp:
      public override void ActivatePickUp () { ball.GetComponent<Ball>().Speed = 2.0f; //increase ball speed... ball.GetComponent<Ball>().StartCoroutine(timer); //...set time that power up is active }  
      There is also a Base Pick Up:
      public void OnCollisionEnter2D (Collision2D collision) { Vector2 tweak = new Vector2 (Random.Range(0f, 0.2f),Random.Range(0f, 0.2f)); this.gameObject.GetComponent<Rigidbody2D>().velocity += tweak; //if the pickup makes contact with the paddle or ball.... if (collision.gameObject.tag == "Paddle" || collision.gameObject.tag == "Ball") { GameObject.FindObjectOfType<GameManager>().GetComponent<PickUpManager>().pickUpQueue.Add(this); Destroy(gameObject); //...and finally destroy power up object } } As a side note, I am trying to find a solution to this that will work for all of my pickups. Some pickups are ammo based, some are timed. 
    • By MarcusAseth
      Hi guys, I'm having a problem rendering with DWrite, and I don't understand why, can you help me figure it out?
      As you can see in the image below, if you look carefully you'll notice that the top of R8 is cut (missing 1 row of pixels), the bottom of R11 is cut again, the 4 in R14 is rendered weird compared to the 4 in R4 and so on, if you look closely you'll spot more yourself.
      I can't figure out why 😕
      Under the image I'll also leave the code, in case I'm doing something wrong like with type conversion or stuff. Any help is much appreciated

#include "GBAEmulator_PCH.h" #include "Disassembler.h" #include "GBAEmulator.h" Disassembler::Disassembler(LONG width, LONG height, HINSTANCE hInstance, GBAEmulator* emuInstance) : D2DWindowBase(width, height, hInstance, emuInstance), m_background(0.156f, 0.087f, 0.16f, 1.f), m_textFormat{ nullptr } { //Init Window std::string className = "Disassembler"; std::string windowName = "Disassembler"; WNDCLASSEX clientClass{}; clientClass.cbSize = sizeof(WNDCLASSEX); clientClass.style = CS_HREDRAW | CS_VREDRAW; clientClass.lpfnWndProc = GBAEmulator::DisassemblerWinProc; clientClass.hInstance = m_hInstance; //clientClass.hIcon =; TODO: Add Icon clientClass.hCursor = LoadCursor(m_hInstance, IDC_ARROW); clientClass.hbrBackground = (HBRUSH)(COLOR_BACKGROUND + 1); clientClass.lpszClassName = className.c_str(); //clientClass.hIconSm =; TODO: Add Icon DWORD windowStyle = WS_VISIBLE | WS_CAPTION | WS_MINIMIZEBOX | WS_TABSTOP | WS_SYSMENU; m_isValid = InitWindow(windowName, clientClass, windowStyle, false); //Init DWrite if (m_isValid) m_isValid = InitDWrite(); std::vector<std::wstring> tempEntries{ L"PC: ", L"R0: ", L"R1: ", L"R2: ", L"R3: ", L"R4: ", L"R5: ", L"R6: ", L"R7: ", L"R8: ", L"R9: ", L"R10: ", L"R11: ", L"R12: ", L"R13: ", L"R14: ", L"R15: ", L"R16: " }; std::wstring value = L"-UNDEFINED-"; FLOAT left{}, top{}, right{ 300.f }, bottom{ 50.f }; for (auto& s : tempEntries) { m_entries.emplace_back(TextEntry{ s, value, D2D1_RECT_F{ left, top, right, bottom} }); top += 30.f; bottom += 30.f; } } bool Disassembler::InitDWrite() { //Set Text Format HRESULT hr; hr = m_DWriteFactory->CreateTextFormat( L"consolas", NULL, DWRITE_FONT_WEIGHT_NORMAL, DWRITE_FONT_STYLE_NORMAL, DWRITE_FONT_STRETCH_NORMAL, 22.f, L"en-US", &m_textFormat ); if (FAILED(hr)) { MessageBox(NULL, "Failed to create TextFormat", "Error", MB_OK); return false; } //Set Colors m_renderTarget->CreateSolidColorBrush( D2D1::ColorF(D2D1::ColorF::SkyBlue), &m_fillBrush1 ); m_renderTarget->CreateSolidColorBrush( D2D1::ColorF(D2D1::ColorF::Crimson), &m_fillBrush2 ); return true; } Disassembler::~Disassembler() { DestroyWindow(m_hwnd); if (m_textFormat) m_textFormat->Release(); if (m_fillBrush1) m_fillBrush1->Release(); if (m_fillBrush2) m_fillBrush2->Release(); } void Disassembler::Updade(float deltaTime) { } void Disassembler::Draw() { m_renderTarget->BeginDraw(); m_renderTarget->Clear(m_background); for (auto& entry : m_entries) { DrawEntryWithShadow(entry); } m_renderTarget->EndDraw(); } void Disassembler::DrawEntryWithShadow(const TextEntry& entry) { //shadow offset D2D1_RECT_F shadowPos = entry.position; shadowPos.top += 1.05f; shadowPos.left -= 0.95f; //draw text DrawEntry(entry.text, shadowPos, m_fillBrush2); DrawEntry(entry.text, entry.position, m_fillBrush1); D2D1_RECT_F valuePos = entry.position; FLOAT valueOffset = 50.f; valuePos.left += valueOffset; valuePos.right += valueOffset; shadowPos.left += valueOffset; shadowPos.right += valueOffset; //draw value DrawEntry(entry.value, shadowPos, m_fillBrush2); DrawEntry(entry.value, valuePos, m_fillBrush1); } void Disassembler::DrawEntry(const std::wstring& text, const D2D1_RECT_F& pos, ID2D1SolidColorBrush* brush) { m_renderTarget->DrawTextA( text.c_str(), static_cast<UINT>(text.size()), m_textFormat, pos, brush, D2D1_DRAW_TEXT_OPTIONS_NONE ); }  
    • By Catalin Danciu
      Hello,
      In the hopes that my thread is not off-topic or offensive in any way, I dare to ask the following "noob" question:
      what would be the correct way to create sprite animations from 2D *.bmp files?
      I have for reference the 2001 game  Desperados:Wanted Dead or Alive.
      with the help of some tools i found , I was able to extract files containing what seems to be animation frames and frame shadow masks for animating a horse.
      Attached are the archived assets.
      My goal is to recreate the demo level of the game using Unity, for educational purposes.
      I have started by loading the background map layer (also a large bmp file), and next step is to load a 2d character object and animate on the perspective.

Horse_Brown.rar
    • By Hellados
      Hello guys, my name is Giorgi and i'm newbie game developer i'm learning Pixel art and after pixel art  i want learn C# and don't know how and where start i'm bad with programming language and know only HTML/CSS
    • By D34DPOOL
      Edit Your Profile D34DPOOL 0 Threads 0 Updates 0 Messages Network Mod DB GameFront Sign Out Add jobEdit jobDeleteC# Programmer for a Unity FPS at Anywhere   Programmers located Anywhere.
      Posted by D34DPOOL on May 20th, 2018
      Hello, my name is Mason, and I've been working on a Quake style arena shooter about destroying boxes on and off for about a year now. I have a proof of concept with all of the basic features, but as an artist with little programming skill I've reached the end of my abilities as a programmer haha. I need someone to help fix bugs, optomize code, and to implent new features into the game. As a programmer you will have creative freedom to suggest new features and modes to add into the game if you choose to, I'm usually very open to suggestions :).
      What is required:
      Skill using C#
      Experience with Unity
      Experience using UNET (since it is a multiplayer game), or the effort and ability to learn it
      Compensation:
      Since the game currently has no funding, we can split whatever revenue the game makes in the future. However if you would perfer I can create 2D and/or 3D assets for whatever you need in return for your time and work.
      It's a very open and chill enviornment, where you'll have relative creative freedom. I hope you are interested in joining the team, and have a good day!

To apply email me at mangemason@yahoo.com
    • By Alberto Muratore
      Hello, my name is Alberto Muratore and I'm a young game developer specialized in programming.

Last summer I finished working on Abstract Arena, my first completed project published on Steam. During the development, lasted more than 1 year, I created every aspect of the game except for the audio sector. I previoulsy joined small competitions and had collaborations within the amateur scene, since I started having fun with game development when I was a kid. In the recent months I also started writing videogames reviews for a english-italian website about indie games.

Abstract Arena Steam page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/678230/Abstract_Arena/
      Abstract Arena website: http://www.abstractarena.com/

I'm currently offering my skills as freelancer in the role of programmer: what I'm searching for is a project that only lacks of the coding part. I'm very good at using the GameMaker: Studio engine, and I already own a license to export on Android platform. I can write code for any genre of 2D games, and I already have experience with the peculiarities of the Android platform (multiple touch controls, accelerometer). I will be able to start working full time only during September, so be aware of that.

The plan is the following:
      1 - you have an idea about your next project (2D game of any kind, for Windows and/or Android platform),
      2 - you (or your team) create all of the graphics and audio resources,
      3 - I write the whole code for the game (gameplay, menus and anything within the game) putting everything togheter [during September],
      4 - if you like my work you can choose how much to pay for it, and you (or your team) keep the rights to sell the game without sharing any percentage with me.

Thank you for reading my announcement
      If you have any question, please write me at the following address: albertomurat@gmail.com
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!