Sign in to follow this  
_void_

DX12 Resource synchronization

Hi guys!

I have to run custom pixel shader to clear RTV (draw call 1).

After that I run another pixel shader on that RTV to render objects (draw call 2).

Do I need to insert resource barrier between two draw calls provided that RTV is already in render target state?

The same thing with UAV. I run custom compute shader to clear UAV and then run another compute shader to do actual calculations.

Do I need resource barrier between these two draw calls?

Thanks!

Edited by _void_

I might be wrong here but no resource barrier for the RTV and yes to a UAV barrier for the UAV's in consecutive compute shader invocations.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh and the only reason I think its no to the RTV is because your using the graphic pipeline.

@MJP  Could you describe the ordering constraints on the regular graphic pipeline?  I remember you mentioning them once.

Edited by Infinisearch

The only guaranteed synchronization points in the graphics pipeline are that stream output and the output merger (RTV/DSV writes) are guaranteed to happen in sequence (per pixel for OM) from draw to draw. So writing to an RTV in draw 1, and then again in draw 2, those render target writes are guaranteed to happen in order. But within the pixel shader itself, there's no guarantee of ordering - unless you use ROVs instead of UAVs.

To enforce ordering of UAVs from draw to draw, you can use a UAV barrier. This ensures ALL UAV writes from draw/dispatch 1 are done before draw/dispatch 2 can start, which is more heavyweight than ROVs.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Announcements

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By Vilem Otte
      So, I've been playing a bit with geometry shaders recently and I've found a very interesting bug, let me show you the code example:
      struct Vert2Geom { float4 mPosition : SV_POSITION; float2 mTexCoord : TEXCOORD0; float3 mNormal : TEXCOORD1; float4 mPositionWS : TEXCOORD2; }; struct Geom2Frag { float4 mPosition : SV_POSITION; nointerpolation float4 mAABB : AABB; float3 mNormal : TEXCOORD1; float2 mTexCoord : TEXCOORD0; nointerpolation uint mAxis : AXIS; float3 temp : TEXCOORD2; }; ... [maxvertexcount(3)] void GS(triangle Vert2Geom input[3], inout TriangleStream<Geom2Frag> output) { ... } So, as soon as I have this Geom2Frag structure - there is a crash, to be precise - the only message I get is:
      D3D12: Removing Device.
      Now, if Geom2Frag last attribute is just type of float2 (hence structure is 4 bytes shorter), there is no crash and everything works as should. I tried to look at limitations for Shader Model 5.1 profiles - and I either overlooked one for geometry shader outputs (which is more than possible - MSDN is confusing in many ways ... but 64 bytes limit seems way too low), or there is something iffy that shader compiler does for me.
      Any ideas why this might happen?
    • By VietNN
      Hi everyone, I am new to Dx12 and working on a game project.
      My game just crash at CreateShaderResourceView with no infomation output in debug log, just: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x000001F22EF2AFE8.
      my code at current:
      CreateShaderResourceView(m_texture, &desc, *cpuDescriptorHandle);
       - m_texture address is: 0x000001ea3c68c8a0
      - cpuDescriptorHandle address is 0x00000056d88fdd50
      - desc.Format, desc.ViewDimension, Texture2D.MostDetailedMip, Texture2D.MipLevels is initalized.
      The crash happens all times at that stage but not on same m_texture. As I noticed the violation reading location is always somewhere near m_texture address.
      I just declare a temp variable to check how many times CreateShaderResourceView already called, at that moment it is 17879 (means that I created 17879 succesfully), and CreateDescriptorHeap for cpuDescriptorHandle was called 4190, do I reach any limit?
      One more infomation, if I set miplevel of all texture when create to 1 it seem like there is no crash but game quality is bad. Do not sure if it relative or not.
      Anyone could give me some advise ?
    • By VietNN
      Hi all,
      The D3D12_SHADER_RESOURCE_VIEW_DESC has a member Shader4ComponentMapping but I don't really know what is it used for? As several example set its value to D3D12_DEFAULT_SHADER_4_COMPONENT_MAPPING. I also read the document on MSDN but still do not understand anything about it.
      https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn903814(v=vs.85).aspx
      https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn770406(v=vs.85).aspx
      Anyone could help me, thank you.
    • By DejayHextrix
      Hi, New here. 
      I need some help. My fiance and I like to play this mobile game online that goes by real time. Her and I are always working but when we have free time we like to play this game. We don't always got time throughout the day to Queue Buildings, troops, Upgrades....etc.... 
      I was told to look into DLL Injection and OpenGL/DirectX Hooking. Is this true? Is this what I need to learn? 
      How do I read the Android files, or modify the files, or get the in-game tags/variables for the game I want? 
      Any assistance on this would be most appreciated. I been everywhere and seems no one knows or is to lazy to help me out. It would be nice to have assistance for once. I don't know what I need to learn. 
      So links of topics I need to learn within the comment section would be SOOOOO.....Helpful. Anything to just get me started. 
      Thanks, 
      Dejay Hextrix 
    • By HD86
      As far as I know, the size of XMMATRIX must be 64 bytes, which is way too big to be returned by a function. However, DirectXMath functions do return this struct. I suppose this has something to do with the SIMD optimization. Should I return this huge struct from my own functions or should I pass it by a reference or pointer?
      This question will look silly to you if you know how SIMD works, but I don't.
  • Popular Now