Cinematic enough or too much? Choir / Orchestra

Started by
6 comments, last by bonixmusic 6 years, 5 months ago

Would be interested in getting some feedback on the last piece I worked on called 'High Elves Theme'. Some production and orchestration tips are welcome as i'm trying to get to the next level!

It's the first song on the list: https://bonixmusic.com/kingdom-of-light-premium-edition 

Thanks for listening!

Peter

Advertisement

The music is very nice! I enjoyed listening to it and it definitely created a nice vibe. I did feel there could be a bit more dynamics in your production, however. While you have some rise and falls, there's not a great deal of different in actual volumes. Also some of the high string long tones could be a bit softer in the mix. 

The choir could be brighter and brought more in front at times. There's also not a lot of low end warmth - but in some of your other cues there are. So I'd consider the low end balance as well. Overall, it definitely is a nice track and would work well in the fantasy genre. 

Cheers!

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

18 minutes ago, nsmadsen said:

The music is very nice! I enjoyed listening to it and it definitely created a nice vibe. I did feel there could be a bit more dynamics in your production, however. While you have some rise and falls, there's not a great deal of different in actual volumes. Also some of the high string long tones could be a bit softer in the mix. 

The choir could be brighter and brought more in front at times. There's also not a lot of low end warmth - but in some of your other cues there are. So I'd consider the low end balance as well. Overall, it definitely is a nice track and would work well in the fantasy genre. 

Cheers!

Thanks for the constructive feedback Nathan!

Hey Peter. Those are some ridiculously good tracks in my opinion. I spent a good chunk of time browsing through your website. That stuff is very well put together in my opinion.

When I a/b it to similar content on a good pair of monitors, I agree with Nate that there's a definite difference in the low end, but it shouldn't be a hard fix. I would love to give some more detailed thoughts on this, particularly with the balance of voices in the middle section, and the way the synths are layered into the rest of the composition, but its hard to do without pointing to specific min:sec markers. Can you post that track as an mp3 (even if it has the "bonix music" still in the background)? Or maybe put it on soundcloud just so there's a counter on the playback device?

...also, can you tell us what you're using for reference mixes (if any) and what your main VI's were for this? That might help too.

This is my placeholder signature

Hi Jkuehlin,

Thanks for taking the time to listen to the track(s). 

I'm using the VI's from the EW Cloud sub. For mixing, i referenced multiple sources, including LOTR and I'm not sure of the others. I pushed the vocals back as to 'hide' the 'midi'. (If that makes since...). Plus I did want them pushed back a little bit anyways for the overall feel, but perhaps I pushed them too far back?! ;) This was my first real attempt at putting higher quality choirs/vocals. Probably more practice would allow me to push them up front a little bit more.  

I've uploaded the file here with an audio watermark. Thanks again!

Kingdom of Light High Elves Theme.mp3

Congratulations!

You have very good compositions on your website!

I would point out that when I was listening to other songs, I sometimes I noticed too much that the instruments were virtual... But anyway, that's not 100% your fault, it also depends of the virtual instrument capacities.

Keep up the amazing work!

Yep, working with virtual instruments can sometimes be a little problematic! Hopefully next time I'll hire a full orchestra! :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement