• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Converting Degrees/Radian to Vector2 is messy

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if some one could give me some tips on converting Degrees/Radians to Vector2. Degrees to Radians and vice versa is fine.

Im using "new Vector2((float)Math.Sin(r), (float)Math.Cos(r));" to do my conversion to Vector2. Yes, I get that the equation is usually [cos(r) , -sin(r)] but my equation suits my current orientation and ultimately does not affect my problem.

The problem I'm facing is the conversion of 90° and 180° into Vectors. When converting them I get:

·         90° = [1, -4.371139E-08] - second value should be 0.

·         180° = [-8.742278E-08, -1] - first value should be 0.

I understand that 180° is technically out of range, but just indulge me on that one, the main issue is 90°. What I am missing with those E-numbers? How do I avoid them?

After writing this I thought of just including a lookup table for the 90° and 180° during the conversions, maybe, I guess it would depend on their precision. Assuming I do not change my orientation this should work right?

Thanks

Krom

Edited by Kromble
formatting

Advertisement

Both those values are super tiny. They are essentially 0 -- just floating point inaccuracies. Nothing to worry about.

-4.371139E-08 = -0.00000004371139

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Similar Content

• By Terry Jin
      Hi everyone! 

I am from an indie studio that has received funding for our concept and is ready to create the next generation 2D Pokemon-inspired MMORPG called Phantasy World. This ad is for a volunteer position but hopefully will transition into something more. Our vision is to create a game that draws inspiration from the series but is dramatically different in both aesthetics and gameplay as the work would be our own.

We are hoping that you can help us make this a reality and are looking for game developers familiar with the unreal engine and would be happy to work on a 2D top down game. Sprite artists are also welcome as we are in desperate need of talented artists! Join our discord and let's have a chat! https://discord.gg/hfDxwDX

Here's some of our in game sprites for playable characters while moving around the game world! Hope to see you soon!

• By Sean Meredith
      Hi all, I am starting to develop a tactics game and ran into a problem I had not thought of. I began by drawing a screen with a hex grid, and this is no big deal. I got that working fine. But, I realized it didn't look quite right. This is because in most strategy games, you're not looking straight down. There is a bit of a tilt. Attached is an example of what I mean. The hexagons on bottom are larger than the hexagons on top, and I'm unsure of how to go about adding this effect. Especially when you consider that some maps may be of different sizes. 
      I'm not sure if this is the right place to post something like this, but it seems as though some sort of linear transformation would be applied? No? I don't even know where to begin in a problem like this.
      Thanks.

• By nick1
      Hello,

I have limited programming experience in C++, but have always had a passion for games.  Where do I start?  I have a rough idea of the type of game I want to develop and am ready to commit the time necessary to learn new languages.  Are mobile games too difficult to begin with? Should I begin learning the basics of keyboard controls before attempting touch screens?  I would appreciate any input or advice!
      Thanks!
      Nick1
    • By khawk
      Dene Carter, Managing Directory @ Fluttermind LLC (@fluttermind)
      From Indie to Fable and Back. 30 Years of Wisdom.
      Started writing games in 1984 when he was 14 years old. What has he done in 33 years?
      Druid - Commodore 64 Original Dungeon Keeper core team Fable franchise and more Indie through AAA.
      "I am an idiot" - first learned in 1984, and every year after.
      Rockman - made $7500 for 2 weeks of work. Figured he could make 26 games a year, or $438k in today's money.
      Takeaway: Really stupid at 14.
      Even in 1980's, developer only got 12-14% royalties.
      (Side note: Dene is fun to listen to. Recommend this on the Vault when it goes online.)

You are not your players.
      Made a black and white game on a Spectrum, which was color. Did it because he was poor. Problem is his audience were not poor, and had color TV's. Reviews were not nice. Players see things completely different to you. Do not forget that your players have not seen the game as much as you. Avoid difficulty/complexity-creep. The real world has distractions and beer - they don't care about your game as much as you do. Test your mobile game on the toilet - that's what your real players do. Fundamentally, players live inside their own brains, not yours. Those you ignore will ignore you in return. Design for your players' minds, not for you. Generalizing is Really useful
      "An expert who is too narrow has difficulty colaborationg" - Valve Employee Manual Did a lot of things over the course of his career. Everyone did everything in the 1980's and 1990's. Most developers generalized. Developing a broad skill-set aids communication. Large teams require collaboration and clear communication. Knowledge breeds respect (never say 'JUST'). 'Just' suggests a task is easy. It might not be. Ignorance is an energy. Don't forget you are human. You are designed to adapt and can do anything if you put your mind to it. Be a human. Learn a skill outside your area. Programmer learn how to 3D model. Artist learn how to code. Learn music, theater. Think of yourself as an artist. Rapid Team Growth is Dangerous
      "If your team can eat more than two pizzas, it's too large." Werner Vogels, Amazon VP/CTO Early Fable - 3 developers. Communication very easy. Later Fable, team grew bigger. At 12 people rumor mill started to develop. Can't have everyone in every meeting at same time. Pockets and cliques develop. Fred Brooks. Communication paths don't grow linearly. Team communication grows exponentially. [n * (n-1)] / 2 8 people on team, 28 connections. Ringelmann Effect - "Larger groups lead to less motivation & coordination & productivity." Decreased motivation - larger group, start to feel like a cog in the machine. Decreased coordination - communication pathways explode. Suggestion: Increase identifiability. Make sure everyone knows everyone's contribution. Most of all: think before growing your team. Blandness Has Its Uses
      Pursuit of excellence can be wasteful. Sounds counterintuitive. Blandness helps disguise repetition. Think reusing assets. Players notice the patterns. When asking for something to be made, communicate the context of assets - how will they be seen or heard? Often find they need to be bland. Prototypes Can Be Misleading
      Experiential games are difficult to prototype. More useful for mechanical games. Fable only came together at the very end - threw away at least one entire combat system. Looking back, it wasn't polished not necessarily bad. Bland prototypes are better than ugly ones for experiential. Keep prototype completely separate. Define prototypes success criteria. Art Style is More Important Than You Think
      Curate rather than create Style can hide the fact you can't draw. Restrict complexity. Style is marketing. Unique style tells players there may be something unique about your game. Streamline Your Process
      What is your iteration cost? Recognize your cost to try something and learn from it. Making your life easier is real work. Resist self-sabotage. (context of making tools) Closing Thoughts
      Don't let technology dictate your game's core promise. Static screenshots have to look good, too. No 1 pixel lines. Don't worry about the things people don't ever get to see. Don't panic if your game sucks - fix it. Editor thought: Really enjoyed this talk. Dene is a fun speaker, and his advice was raw, real world advice for anyone aspiring to make it in game development.
  • Advertisement