Dylan B

Dylan B's music: feedback please

I'm pursuing a career as a composer/music producer and I'd like some feedback on my music. Please check out the embedded tracks below as well as my other works on Soundcloud and let me know what you think.

Hey Dylan, 

Thanks for sharing your work! I have a few ideas for you to help you take your music to the next level. First off, you obviously have some good ideas and talent in composition! There's some cool ideas and evolution in your music. The biggest area that's currently hurting you is production. 

- Overall track volume is VERY low. Thankfully, this is something pretty easy to fix. Take your master audio files and raise the volume to where it's more on par with what you're hearing from other music sites and composers. You don't have to blast things out of the part but I had to turn up my volume knob by quite a bit to hear your music. 

- MIDI samples need a lot of work. You can get create with ways to make even average samples come off more polished. I'd experiment with panning, volume automation and reverb. 

- Experiment with timings within the MIDI data. Computers play 100% perfectly, every time. Humans don't. See if there are some ways you can humanize your performance. 

- I don't know what DAW you're working in or what sample libraries (or soundfonts) you're currently using but if you can invest some money into higher quality sample libraries that offer more articulations, velocity layers, expression and round robin variations, I think you'll see a huge impact on your music. One site I recommend to many just starting out is East West's Composer Cloud. It's a subscription where you can get a ton of VST samples at a pretty reasonable monthly rate. 

I hope that helps! 

Nate

Thanks for the feedback. Im pleased to hear such a detailed reply. I've been looking into those solutions and have plans to imvest in a MIDI controller. Most of what I have done was produced using a free version of Finale and converting the resulting MIDI file into a more universal format. Resently. Ive acquired Sibelius for my compositions. It is a much better program thqn Finale notepad and its MIDI samples are much more numerous ane varied in sound. I have plans to start school next year for musoc production.

I have a couple of questions for you,

What is DAW?

What exactly so you mean when you say there are some cool ideas amd evolution in my music?

Just curious really.

8 hours ago, Dylan B said:

What is DAW?

What exactly so you mean when you say there are some cool ideas amd evolution in my music?

Just curious really.

- A DAW is a Digital Audio Workstation and some examples of this are: Reaper, Sonar, ProTools, Logic Pro, Cubase, Ableton Live, Reason and there are many more. Sibelius is more of a notation program than a digital audio workstation but the last several generations of notation software (Finale and Sibelius) have added quite a bit more features. 

- What I meant by saying you had some cool ideas and evolution in your music was that you took some themes and had different sections play (or play off) those ideas. This shows promise and potential because sometimes composers just state the theme and don't put any real sense of arrangement or development into it. Sometimes that's okay - it all depends on the context - but often times having a bit more development and depth to your arrangement helps! 

I agree 100% with nsmadsen. The compositions are truly interesting, but the sound itself is of low quality. If you work on your mixing / producing skills more, I'm sure you'll be able to come up with truly wonderful tunes.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By AFV
      Hello,

I'm trying to get familiar with making interactive music via middlewares, but I'm not in projects that use this tools currently.

So, I was wondering if someone can recommend me a way to practice things like layering, combining loops, transitions in a middleware without the need to be in a project that use middlewares.

I would like to train this before I get to a project that actually use this technology, as an anticipation. Because maybe then I will be overworked if I have to learn everything having a deadline.

Thanks ^^,
      Albert.
    • By Jammin' Sam
      I've been teaching myself music for 9 years now, and it all started when I became obsessed with Donkey Kong Country. The variety of sounds used stimulated my imagination and I've never grown bored with music ever since. I've studied all manner of styles from classical to modern EDM, and want to eventually master them all, but for now I'm sticking to film and game scores. I'm not very good at networking and I don't have a strong enough portfolio to strut around asking for jobs so here I am introducing my loser self. I've been working on a few tunes trying to develop my style: 
      https://soundcloud.com/blue_tronic/abandoned-lab
      https://soundcloud.com/blue_tronic/prehistory
      https://soundcloud.com/blue_tronic/9-29-17a

I've also grown an interest in design and developed a few really nice concepts for goofy and quirky 2D games that satisfy your inner need for death and destruction with none of the guilt or depression. I mean to get a kickstarter going for them and look for a programmer and graphic designer to pay with funds from said kickstarter. Here's a few excerpts from demos of them created in LittleBigPlanet:

• By KARTHI
      I am not a music director so I can't make any music 
      Please show some software to learn a keyboard or drum without music instruments

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
    • By Misantes
      Hey everyone
      I've hit a milestone for a side-project of mine I've been working on for some time. It's been a frustrating labor of love, but reached my version 1.0 mark recently
      The asset can be used to create procedural music configurations that are editable in real time in a game. You're able to edit dozens of variables like the scale, mode, tempo, instruments, effects and dozens of other settings to react and adapt to gameplay or other events (or just use it as an easy tool to custom make music for your game). 
      It's available on the unity asset store here: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/99791
      A demo is available on my github page: https://stickandbindlegames.github.io
      Video Link-Main: https://youtu.be/kDLc6GFdZTk
      Video Link-Presets showcase: https://youtu.be/dcVjY5rkUqU
      Video Link-Features Overview: https://youtu.be/TGQM11iRRUQ
      Video Link-Chiptune example: https://youtu.be/P3BNIbOhSfU
      It's still in active development, despite this release, so I'd be very interested in any feedback ( good or bad), advice, or suggestions for what may make it more appealing to you as developers. It'd be useful to know what features would make it more useful to you as a developer, or feedback on any aspect of the player, really, as I have a few directions I can take the generator for future updates.
      Thanks for your time! I look forward to anyone's thoughts :).

• By TeemuHanninenMusic
      -I have 20+ years experience of playing guitar in bands and in electronic music. I started on Amiga Trackers in nineties, nowadays I work on modern DAWs and virtual instruments.
      -25+ years experience as a gamer. Started on NES, currently into both indie and AAA games on PC, retro classics across most platforms and some WiiU gems.
      -Good understanding of what makes good game music, and how music can make good game a GREAT game
      -Some experience in making my own games ands levels with simple game editor tools
      -Experience and understanding of various genres ranging from extreme metal to classical music, ambient, chiptune, medieval, cinematic, EPIC
      -Good communication and team work skills, respect deadlines, pride in quality work
      My dream project would probably be doing music for fantasy/sci-fi/action/adventure themed game. I'm a huge fan for classic PC soundtracks like Heroes 3, Diablo 2, Fallout 2, Star/Warcraft. Some more modern favorites include Mass Effect series, Halo and Skyrim.
      I can also do some great nes/chiptune/retro stuff if needed, since that's the soundtrack of my childhood anyway

please check my demo reel:

If you are interested in some different genre not presented in my demo, please send me a message so I can check if I have anything interesting for you to listen

• Popular Now