I was hoping I wouldn't have to ride the Linux horse, but...

Started by
20 comments, last by cgrant 6 years, 6 months ago

I'm trying to follow this tutorial.

59d597718a10f_PSPLinux.png.cb4fc30755bb1b4c349305e32b6cdd39.png

I'm on step 2:

Download the PSP Tool Chain package (see Resources). Download this to "C:\cygwin\home\USER" (replace "USER" with your computer user name). Switch back to Cygwin and type "tar zxvf psptoolchain-20050625.tgz" and press "Enter." Type "cd psptoolchain" and press "Enter." Type "toolchain.sh" and press "Enter." When the error occurs type "svn update" and press "Enter."

I was fine until they started requesting my Linux usage. The problem is I'm not a Linux user. As you can see from my screenshot, I'm very out of my environment. I'm a Windows / DOS user. I've been that way my entire life. Could I get some help?

Advertisement
1 minute ago, Brian.Washechek said:

I was fine until they started requesting my Linux usage. The problem is I'm not a Linux user. As you can see from my screenshot, I'm very out of my environment. I'm a Windows / DOS user. I've been that way my entire life. Could I get some help?

As the error message says, the file you're trying to open cannot be found. This means you either mistyped the name of the file, or it doesn't exist at all, or it does exist but not at the path you specified.

Your working directory appears to be /cygdrive/c/cygwin/home/Brian, which means the file has to be in that folder since you specified just a file name and not a relative or absolute path name. Chances are it's not actually in that directly. Put it there.

So what command do I give Linux, then?

Try `ls` to see what files are in the current directory.

Pardon me for being rude, but you don't need to be a Linux expert to understand that a file with that name does not exist.

From the link you posted:

Step

Download the PSP Tool Chain package (see Resources). Download this to "C:\cygwin\home\USER" (replace "USER" with your computer user name).

Did you you download the psp tool chain? Did you place it in C:\cygwin\home\Brian ? And more importantly, is that file named exactly psptoolchain-20050625.tgz ? (Beware of case sensitiviness psptoolchain-20050625.tgz is not the same as PsPtoolchain-20050625.tgz)

You got the name wrong or didn't download the file into that folder.

Cheers

21 minutes ago, Brian.Washechek said:

So what command do I give Linux, then?

If you are this unfamiliar with basic command-line work, you are probably better off moving the file via Windows Explorer. "/cygdrive" is where Cygwin mounts your Windows filesystem, so "/cygdrive/c/foo/bar" is "C:\foo\bar"

In any event, the command you'd want is "mv" -- but that requires you to know both the source path and the destination path. We don't know where you put the file, so we can't help you.

I will be frank. If you are diving into cross-compiling and you are not familiar with the basics of the environment, you will have a hard time.

Cross-compiling isn't an easy task for who is experienced, imagine if you are not familiar with the basics of the environment.

That tutorial seems waaaay to easy to be the the only thing that you need to do to compile for PSP.

You probably don't care, but this isn't Linux. It's a small POSIX environment which is partially GNU-based. Linux is a kernel and uninvolved with POSIX layers like Cygwin and MSYS.

In any case, as others have said, you are following a bad guide. It isn't even coherent. You need to find something else. And frankly, if you're going to use a POSIX environment, it would be much easier to just use Ubuntu or something than to try to pass it through Cygwin.

That other thread you started included a link to the GitHub page of exactly what you would be looking for. This is the readme:

https://github.com/pspdev/pspsdk/blob/master/README

Seems simple to me. The readme is holding your hand all the way through the installation.

Though to be honest, I don't see the point in compiling for the PSP in the first place.

If you can point out another handheld console that a poor video gamer can compile for I would be happy to hear about it.

The OpenPandora, GCW Zero, and most recently the Pyra all come to mind. Also Android phones and things like the GPD Win which just run Windows. This is not an exhaustive list, just the most interesting choices.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement