Originality in game stories.

Started by
4 comments, last by BlackMagicWolf 6 years, 6 months ago

Its still possible to write original game stories, but I'm actually wondering this - how does one write a game that stands above the rest originality wise? One can borrow from successful games to make their own. One can experiment, but it could be unsuccessful. That said, I believe originality is one form or another is still there for game writing and design. It just appears in more subtle ways. I like thinking about those cool ideas to write as a game, but its about making them original or capturing people's attention that is the tough part. Hmmm...how do you see this?

"Don't make a girl a promise....if you know you can't keep it." - Halo 2

"If they came to hear me beg, they would be disappointed." - Halo 2

"Were it so Easy." - Halo 3

"Dear Humanity. We regret being alien bastards. We regret coming to earth. And we most certainly regret that the Corps just blew up our raggedy a** fleet!" - Halo 2

"One Final Effort is all that remains." - Halo 3

"Brute ships! Staggered line! Ship Master, they outnumber us, three to one!"

(response) "Then it is an even fight. All ships fire at will! Burn their mongrel hides!" - Halo 3

"Everyone I have cared for has either died or left me. Everybody  f****** except for you! So you don't tell me I'd be safer with someone else, because the truth is I would just be more scared." The Last of Us

"If you had had a child, Elisabet, what would you have wished for him or her?" (GAIA)

(response) "I guess....I would have wanted her to be...curious. And willful -- unstoppable even...but with enough compassion to...heal the world...just a little bit." Elisabet Sobeck to GAIA - Horizon Zero Dawn

Advertisement

It's said that there are only seven original story plots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seven_Basic_Plots

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/15/books/the-plot-thins-or-are-no-stories-new.html

So don't worry about being original. Just, you know, be original. Nobody can tell you how. Just be you.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

You don't have to be completely original. Just write something that affects the player's (or reader's) emotions. Introduce a character that the player "works with" or otherwise creates an attachment to, and then kill them off. Give them a weapon after a mission or quest that reflects or reminds them of the mission results. Sometimes it's having the player hang around an area, helping the inhabitants or saving them from something, then returning them back to that place much later (and much stronger) to find that all their work has been undone. You want the player to gain ownership or kinship with people, places or things, and then maybe even twist it around. 

£§

Games allow boring stories to become great, for example: The hero fights a dragon and saves the village.

It's a very boring and unoriginal story. The player fighting the dragon get's to experience it and to them it's a much more interesting story. It's why so may games can get away with bad stories as experiencing them allows for much more depth.

The best game stories are ones that delve deep into the world they're in, but in a meaningful way. They also have characters that seem like stereotypes, but as we get to know them more, their own originality comes out.

So in a way, trying to be original just means making sure your world, characters, and plot come in a way that people will enjoy.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement