Xeddy

2D Making 2D simple games (Zelda for example)

Hi, I'm 100% new on the market of game development and I wanna make a simple pixel graphic 2D game. Well, I need some advices and tips, like wich language is better to use, good tutorial and teaching (preferably for free) sites. I'm really exited about making a game and hope you could help me. Thanks.

A good place to start for tutorials would be Youtube. One such tutorial I am currently working from uses Java, the instructors pace is moderate, so really gives you a chance to keep up to speed with bite-sized tutorial. The requirement is that you have *some* basic Java knowledge.

I won't go too much into Java, as it is heavily documented and summarised around the web, and in places on this website. I'll just say that Java is a very high-level language that takes away the headache of memory management, which a language like C++ imposes (though it is easier now with things like smart-pointers). It also compiles once and is usable on any platform: Linux, Windows etc.

Tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEKs-3GhVKQ&list=PLah6faXAgguMnTBs3JnEJY0shAc18XYQZ

Another option specifically tailored to beginner games programming is Unity, though I've not had any experience with it.

Good luck!

Stitchs.

You may want to reassess your ideas of what simple games are. Zelda is not a simple game, and you may not want to start with anything like it.

That said, you're going to need tools for whatever you start, and you probably want to start with tools that you can stick with indefinitely so that you can master your workflow. I highly recommend Godot for your dev environment, but it's tough to transition to once you're used to doing things in other ways, so it has its share of detractors. Mono is pretty super as well, and has the side effect of being able to use the tons of XNA code and resources out there. For art, find a slightly older copy of Photoshop (something you can probably find relatively cheaply and for which there are thousands of tutorials), and a low-end Wacom tablet. Do pretty much whatever you like for sound and music; there are a lot of free resources out there, or a lot of ways to make it all yourself.

Good luck!

51 minutes ago, Alpha_ProgDes said:

odd.

Signatures are disabled by default. You having a signature doesn't mean others can see it; they need to enable signatures on their own to see them.

The fact that they already have a signature doesn't mean anything either -- it is likely copied from the old forum system.

6 hours ago, Alpha_ProgDes said:

See the first link in my signature.

@Alpha_ProgDes Correct me if I'm wrong, but in that link you suggest a list of games to do as practice, not link to resources and learning material. I am under the impression that the OP is 100% new to game development and needs links to good tutorials in order to at least get going :)

Edited by MarcusAseth

On 10/7/2017 at 8:36 PM, MarcusAseth said:

@Alpha_ProgDes Correct me if I'm wrong, but in that link you suggest a list of games to do as practice, not link to resources and learning material. I am under the impression that the OP is 100% new to game development and needs links to good tutorials in order to at least get going

The link is indeed a general guideline of projects to undertake while developing ones skill set in game development. The problem with recommending the "best tool" or any tool in game development, is that there are many options.

@Xeddy

I don't get involved in debating which language is "better" because I know so many, and truthfully they all can create 2D games like Zelda in most of those languages. If someone is looking for easier, it would be better to start either with a scripting language like Python with PyGame, or a high level language like C# using Mono. 

I usually recommend tools like GameMaker If someone is 100% new to game development with no coding experience. They can start creating games right away while they learn to code on the side, and slowly transition into game programming if they desire.

Again, if the OP suggests at least a language he or she is interested in, we can direct more learning resources.

Edited by Rutin

Xeddy is your main goal to make a game (as in you have a game idea you'd like to see realized)? or are you more interested in the mechanics of making games? (as in you want to become a programmer for a game company)

If you have an idea you'd like to see realized and you plan on sticking to 2d or simple 3d then I would suggest you take a serious look at gamemaker studio 2.  If being free is requirement then you can try godot.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Announcements

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By BAG Labs
      Mobile SoS

Platform: Android
      Genre: Board
      Link: Google Play

This games sharpen memory and test your strategies to place S-O-S pattern within time limit and serve 3 difficulties as Easy, Normal, and Hard.

Goals of the game is to put S-O-S words in patterns (Horizontal, Vertical, and Diagonal) alternately with enemy.

Features:
      Single Player Multiplayer Achievements Leaderboards  

Screenshot:

Link: Google Play

Please help us improve this game with review
    • By Connor Rust
      I am currently attempting to make a navigation mesh for our 2D top down game, which is a multiplayer game using Node.js as the server communication. At the moment, I have implemented A* over an obstacle hardnessmap, which is awfully slow and laggy at times when we test our game on Heroku. I have been trying to find an algorithm to automatically generate the navmesh after map creation, instead of me having to do this manually. I am currently attempting to use Delaunay's Triangulation Divide and Conquer algorithm, but I am running into some issues. I have already asked a question on StackOverflow and am not getting many suggestions and help from it, so I figured I would come here. Is there another algorithm that might be better to use for the navmesh generation in comparison to Deluanay's Triangulation? My current implementation seems extremely buggy during the merge step and I cannot find the error. I have checked over the code countless times, comparing it to the description of the algorithm from http://www.geom.uiuc.edu/~samuelp/del_project.html. 
      My current code is this:
      class MapNode { constructor(x, y) { this.position = new Vector(x, y); this.neighbors = []; } distance(n) { return this.position.distance(n.position); } inNeighbor(n) { for (let i = 0; i < this.neighbors.length; i++) { if (this.neighbors[i] === n) return true; } return false; } addNeighbor(n) { this.neighbors = this.neighbors.filter((node) => node != n); this.neighbors.push(n); } addNeighbors(arr) { let self = this; arr.forEach((n) => self.neighbors.push(n)); } removeNeighbor(n) { this.neighbors = this.neighbors.filter((neighbor) => neighbor != n); } } class Triangle { constructor(p1, p2, p3) { this.p1 = p1; this.p2 = p2; this.p3 = p3; this.neighbors = []; } addNeighbors(n) { this.neighbors.push(n); } } function genSubMat(matrix, ignoreCol) { let r = []; for (let i = 0; i < matrix.length - 1; i++) { r.push([]); for (let j = 0; j < matrix[0].length; j++) { if (j != ignoreCol) r[i].push(matrix[i + 1][j]); } } return r; } function determinantSqMat(matrix) { if (matrix.length != matrix[0].length) return false; if (matrix.length === 2) return matrix[0][0] * matrix[1][1] - matrix[1][0] * matrix[0][1]; let det = 0; for (let i = 0; i < matrix.length; i++) { let r = genSubMat(matrix, i); let tmp = matrix[0][i] * determinantSqMat(r); if (i % 2 == 0) det += tmp; else det -= tmp; } return -det; } // if d is in the circle formed by points a, b, and c, return > 0 // d is on circle, return 0 // d is outside of circle, return < 0 function inCircle(a, b, c, d) { let arr = [a, b, c, d]; let mat = [ [], [], [], [] ]; for (let i = 0; i < arr.length; i++) { mat[i][0] = 1; mat[i][1] = arr[i].position.x; mat[i][2] = arr[i].position.y; mat[i][3] = arr[i].position.x * arr[i].position.x + arr[i].position.y * arr[i].position.y; } return determinantSqMat(mat); } function walkable(from, to, hardnessMap) { let diff = new Vector(to.x - from.x, to.y - from.y); if (Math.abs(diff.x) > Math.abs(diff.y)) diff.scale(Math.abs(1 / diff.x)); else diff.scale(Math.abs(1 / diff.y)); let current = new Vector(from.x + diff.x, from.y + diff.y); while (Math.round(current.x) != to.x || Math.round(current.y) != to.y) { if (hardnessMap[Math.floor(current.y)][Math.floor(current.x)] === 1) return false; current.x += diff.x; current.y += diff.y; } return true; } function getLowest(nodes) { let lowest = nodes[0]; for (let i = 1; i < nodes.length; i++) { if (nodes[i].position.y < lowest.position.y) lowest = nodes[i]; } return lowest; } // returns the angle between 2 vectors, if cw is true, then return clockwise angle between, // else return the ccw angle between. b is the "hinge" point function angleBetween(a, b, c, cw) { let ba = new Vector(a.position.x - b.position.x, a.position.y - b.position.y); let bc = new Vector(c.position.x - b.position.x, c.position.y - b.position.y); let v0 = new Vector(0, 1); let angleBA = v0.angleBetween(ba) * 180 / Math.PI; if (angleBA < 0) angleBA += 360; let angleBC = v0.angleBetween(bc) * 180 / Math.PI; if (angleBC < 0) angleBC += 360; let smallest = Math.min(angleBA, angleBC); let largest = Math.max(angleBA, angleBC); let angle = largest - smallest; return (cw) ? angle : 360 - angle; } function sortSmallestAngle(a, b, list, cw) { list.sort((m, n) => { let vab = new Vector(a.position.x - b.position.x, a.position.y - b.position.y); let vmb = new Vector(m.position.x - b.position.x, m.position.y - b.position.y); let vnb = new Vector(n.position.x - b.position.x, n.position.y - b.position.y); if (cw) return vab.angleBetween(vmb, cw) - vab.angleBetween(vnb, cw); else return vab.angleBetween(vnb, cw) - vab.angleBetween(vmb, cw); }); } // a is in list, b is in the other list function getPotential(a, b, list, cw) { sortSmallestAngle(b, a, list, cw); for (let i = 0; i < list.length - 1; i++) { let angle = angleBetween(b, a, list[i], cw); if (angle > 180) return false; else if (inCircle(a, b, list[i], list[i + 1]) <= 0) return list[i]; else { a.removeNeighbor(list[i]); list[i].removeNeighbor(a); } } let potential = list[list.length - 1]; if (potential) { let angle = angleBetween(a, b, potential, cw); if (angle > 180) return false; return potential; } return false; } function merge(leftNodes, rightNodes, leftBase, rightBase, hardnessMap) { leftBase.addNeighbor(rightBase); rightBase.addNeighbor(leftBase); let newLeft = leftNodes.filter((n) => n != leftBase); let newRight = rightNodes.filter((n) => n != rightBase); let potentialLeft = getPotential(leftBase, rightBase, newLeft, false); let potentialRight = getPotential(rightBase, leftBase, newRight, true); if (!potentialLeft && !potentialRight) return; else if (potentialLeft && !potentialRight) merge(newLeft, newRight, potentialLeft, rightBase, hardnessMap); else if (potentialRight && !potentialLeft) merge(newLeft, newRight, leftBase, potentialRight, hardnessMap); else { if (inCircle(leftBase, rightBase, potentialLeft, potentialRight) <= 0) merge(newLeft, newRight, potentialLeft, rightBase, hardnessMap); if (inCircle(leftBase, rightBase, potentialRight, potentialLeft) <= 0) merge(newLeft, newRight, leftBase, potentialRight, hardnessMap); } } // divide and conquer algorithm function delaunay(nodes, hardnessMap) { if (nodes.length <= 3) { for (let i = 0; i < nodes.length; i++) for (let j = 0; j < nodes.length; j++) if (i != j) nodes[i].addNeighbor(nodes[j]); return nodes; } else { nodes.sort((a, b) => { let tmp = a.position.x - b.position.x; if (tmp === 0) return b.position.y - a.position.y; return tmp; }); let l = nodes.length; let leftNodes; let rightNodes; if (l === 4) { leftNodes = delaunay(nodes.slice(0, 3), hardnessMap); rightNodes = delaunay(nodes.slice(3, 4), hardnessMap); } else { leftNodes = delaunay(nodes.slice(0, Math.floor(nodes.length / 2)), hardnessMap); rightNodes = delaunay(nodes.slice(Math.floor(nodes.length / 2), nodes.length), hardnessMap); } let leftBase = getLowest(leftNodes); let rightBase = getLowest(rightNodes); merge(leftNodes, rightNodes, leftBase, rightBase, hardnessMap); console.log("=============================MergeComplete================================"); return nodes; } }  
    • By Hilster
      Hello 2D Artists,
      I've started making a 2D Puzzle Adventure game for mobile and I'm looking for someone who would want in on creating assets for the game. The core of the programming is pretty much complete, you can walk within the grid laid out and push boxes, when there is an object on top of a pressure pad it will activate the linked objects or if there is one object with multiple linked pressure pads it requires you to activate all points for the object to become active. 

The level iteration for the game is quick and simple, a Photoshop file that is made of individual pixels that represents objects is put into the game and it creates the level out of those pixels with the assigned objects.
      The objects that need sprites created so far is the character, box, pressure pad, door, trap door, the walls, the stairs and the tiled background.
      I intend to add more objects so the amount I'd like to add will be extended.
      My motivations for posting here is to have something that looks nice to be able to display on my portfolio, so if you're looking for a working game that you can place your art into and improve the look of your portfolio then we're in business.
      Please reply with a few past examples of your art below and I'll be in touch!
    • By suliman
      Hi!
      My game is coming along nicely and I would love some feedback.
      You play as one (or two in co-op) survivor that must travel the land and survive the infected hordes, looners and bandits. You stop in locations but are always pressed as the hordes will start pouring in. Collect resources (food, fuel, medical supplies and ammo) and weapons and head for the goal!
      Tips
      Always quickly switch to a melee weapon if running out of ammo Loot everything if you have time to loot, including cartrunks Choose locations that have the loot you need (such as gas station for fuel) Try to avoid running out of fuel or having your car break down. Walking is dangerous! Download (50 MB, works with windows only, you DON'T need dropbox to download):
      Damnation road (beta 2)

• By MeeMaster
      I am a beginner in the Game Dev business, however I plan to build a futuristic MMO with some interesting mechanics.
      However, I have some doubts about shooting mechanics that I chose for this game and would like to know your opinion on this. The mechanic goes as follows:
      - Each gun would have it's damage-per-shot value
      - Each gun would have it's shots-per-second value
      - Each gun would have it's accuracy rating
      Now the question is: how to calculate the output damage? I have three available options:
      1) Calculate the chance of each shot hitting the target (per-shot accuracy)
      2) Multiply the damage output of a weapon by it's accuracy rating (weapon with 50% accuracy deals 50% of it's base damage)
      3) Don't use accuracy at all and just adjust the weapon damage output
      Which of these three mechanics would you like to see in a game? Mind, this will be an MMO game, so it will have lock-on targets, AoE effects and all that jazz.
  • Popular Now