Sign in to follow this  
Mightee

which scene graph to choose

An octree isn't a scenegraph, its a spatial subdivision technique.  The definition of scenegraph can vary so you should clarify what exactly you mean.  If you're looking for a way to cut down on collision detection and/or trying to accelerate culling for submission to the graphics card then spatial subdivision is what you're looking for.  For a top down game you're better off with a quadtree, a loose quadtree, or a BVH. (you might also look into kdtrees)  An octree would be a good fit for a first person or third person camera.

I would start off with a very simple grid structure. If it's a top-down game you probably only need a 2D structure, and if you don't zoom in/out much, then the hierarchical part of a quad/oct tree isn't very useful and you may as well just use the leaf nodes, which leaves you with a 2D grid of cells.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Announcements

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By JediEwok
      I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the art section, but in the end it seemed more of a career question. If it needs to be moved, please do that.
      I'm a writer first.  That's what I've been doing for years (comics and screenplays) and that's the main path I want to take in the gaming industry.  But I'm realistic, and I know that I'm one in millions competing for very few spots, so I want to add some more skills to make myself more appealing.  I had to learn some programming for school, and I know that's not the path I want to take.  It just doesn't click with me. I've been learning 3ds Max for a while, and I think I'm decent at modeling some basic stuff (non-character) but I also recognize that I have a long way to go before I'm actually good. I'm not very good with materials and textures yet, and horrible with animation, and I get a little overwhelmed looking at just how much I have left to learn if I want to do it all.  I think I should focus on one area to improve for now, and eventually work on the rest.
      I've worked a little bit with particles in a few learning projects in Max and Unreal and really enjoyed it.  So the question is, if I want to really focus on the VFX side of things, what's the best way to do it?  Should I focus on doing it through one of the modeling programs like Max, Maya, or Houdini,  or should I focus on the stuff built into the game engine (Unreal is what I use now because it's what we use for school, I plan to eventually get a feel for Unity and maybe Lumberyard)?  Or should I focus on a 3rd party plugin like PopcornFx that can be used in multiple programs?
    • By NoobDevSensei
      Hey all im Norvik i really like games but recently want to create them yes i know it takes a lot of people to make a single game but right now im just focusing on the 3d aspect of it i tried c# i kinda understood a bit of it but it didnt catch my attention right now im doing 3d work in Blender and later on i would like to at least prototype my ideas into Unity the thing is i think i hate coding and the other day i saw something called Uscript (visual Scripting) can someone tell me if thats a good way to go ?
    • By MeeMaster
      I am a beginner in the Game Dev business, however I plan to build a futuristic MMO with some interesting mechanics.
      However, I have some doubts about shooting mechanics that I chose for this game and would like to know your opinion on this. The mechanic goes as follows:
      - Each gun would have it's damage-per-shot value
      - Each gun would have it's shots-per-second value
      - Each gun would have it's accuracy rating
      Now the question is: how to calculate the output damage? I have three available options:
      1) Calculate the chance of each shot hitting the target (per-shot accuracy)
      2) Multiply the damage output of a weapon by it's accuracy rating (weapon with 50% accuracy deals 50% of it's base damage)
      3) Don't use accuracy at all and just adjust the weapon damage output
      Which of these three mechanics would you like to see in a game? Mind, this will be an MMO game, so it will have lock-on targets, AoE effects and all that jazz.
    • By Vityou
      I am thinking of making a game like screeps, where you use actual programming to control the game, but I'm not sure about the best way to do this.  I'm probably going to use lua or javascript for the language, and I would like to represent units in the game as objects that the user can command and modify, with restraints based on the actual game, like how screeps does it.  However, I am not sure how to get started.  I think I have to use C or C++ and then embed the languages, but I'm not sure where to go from there, for example, having objects in lua actually correspond to units in the game.  Are there any resources that explain how to do this?  Also, I'm not concerned about the graphics of the game whatsoever, it might as well just be a text adventure as far as I'm concerned, I just want the user to be able to control the game through scripting.
    • By Vityou
      I'm looking to create some kind of simulation like game similar to rimworld and dwarf fortress.  I would also like to include a way to control units through programming, similar to screeps, I'm even thinking of using JavaScript as well.  I would like the graphics to be separate from the actual game, so that people can make their own if they don't like the default on (the game will be open source).  Are there any languages or engines that would be good for this task?  I mostly program in functional languages like racket, but I know some python, Java, and JavaScript.  I know how to use unity somewhat, but I'm not sure that it would be best for this.  Also, I'm not sure if this is important for picking out the right tools, but I am thinking of including a feature to run parts of the simulation at different levels of detail, for example, you could "zoom in" on a battle that's happening and see each individual shot, or you could just get the main idea of the battle, like if you won and how much gold you got or something like that.  Thanks for any suggestions.
  • Popular Now