mhnj7

New to game dev...some programming knowledge.

Ok, so first a bit of background on me. I'm almost 40 years old, I've been in IT networking/systems admin for around 14 years, mostly DDI work. I know scripting in bash and Perl. In high school I taught myself some C programming and in college learned a little bit of C++ back in the late 90's. I dropped out of college in 98 and only recently returned to school. Currently working towards degree in Computer Science. My courses have given me a lot of basic knowledge in Java. This semester I'm taking Data Structures & Algorithms in Java. 

So that sums up my level of programming knowledge. I'm comfortable enough to make a text based black jack game in Java. What I really want to know is, best route to go from here? I've  been considering spending time learning gamemaker, but wonder if it's better to just focus my time on learning LibGDX since I'm already familiar with Java.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

BTW...My interest right now is personal indie development, like Android apps. Maybe one day I can move into full time game dev career, but right now I'm too far in my current career track (pay wise) to make a complete change.

6 hours ago, mhnj7 said:

I've  been considering spending time learning gamemaker,

IMO, I'd jump right into something like Unity.  Unity is the "in" thing right now that everyone is using- arguably, any engine or framework you pick will get you some transferable skills, but Unity experience, as long as it remains the "in" thing, will be valuable in terms of making a career out of it eventually.  Same with Unreal.

If you don't care about premade engines and tools or employable skills, and you just want to learn about all the little details about what goes into a game, you could learn all the "from scratch" stuff - do some learning about OpenGL or DirectX, learn how the Windows API works (or whatever platform you're using) and just have at it.  It'll take much longer, and leave you with a very different set of experience, but I think it's also a legit way to go.

An alternative if you want to go sort of both ways - Small web games done in HTML5/WebGL/Javascript can be thrown together faster than a C++ "from scratch" game, but still gives you lots of room to build your own framework/engine/rendering if you want.  I'd call it comparable to starting with SDL or XNA or something - it's not a full engine, but there's lots of details you don't have to think about if you don't want to.

I have used both GameMaker and LibGDX and from my experience LibGDX had a steeper learning curve. In GameMaker a lot of it is drag and drop so it is easy to push out a prototype quickly. If you just want to make games i'd say use GameMaker, but if you are more into the programming side of things i'd use LibGDX. 

Been doing a lot of research about GameMaker and Unity. I've decided to go with Unity as it's more powerful and something I can see using more long term. Sure it has a steeper learning curve but probably not as much as starting out with LibGDX. And there are tons of learning resources for Unity.