DX11 HLSL: arrays as inout parameters

Hey all. I've been working with compute shaders lately, and was hoping to build out some libraries to reuse code. As a prerequisite for my current project, I needed to sort a big array of data in my compute shader, so I was going to implement quicksort as a library function. My implementation was going to use an inout array to apply the changes to the referenced array.

I spent half the day yesterday debugging in visual studio before I realized that the solution, while it worked INSIDE the function, reverted to the original state after returning from the function.

My hack fix was just to inline the code, but this is not a great solution for the future.  Any ideas? I've considered just returning an array of ints that represents the sorted indices.

Edited by Matt Barr

4 hours ago, Matt Barr said:

Hey all. I've been working with compute shaders lately, and was hoping to build out some libraries to reuse code. As a prerequisite for my current project, I needed to sort a big array of data in my compute shader, so I was going to implement quicksort as a library function. My implementation was going to use an inout array to apply the changes to the referenced array.

I spent half the day yesterday debugging in visual studio before I realized that the solution, while it worked INSIDE the function, reverted to the original state after returning from the function.

My hack fix was just to inline the code, but this is not a great solution for the future.  Any ideas? I've considered just returning an array of ints that represents the sorted indices.

If you can provide a simplest-possible repro I can test it against the latest compiler and file it with the team responsible for fixing it if it's still broken. If providing the shader is IP sensitive, I can provide you with an email address to send it to directly.

(I work for Microsoft)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By Apollo Cabrera
      Yasss!!! My first Unity3d game is on the App Store and Google Play.
      Download please! About 30 minutes to get through 5 missions.
      Let me know what you guys think.
      Thanks a bunch
      Bleeping Bots MacOsx Demo Cut.mp4
    • By Beny Benz
      Hi,
      I'm currently trying to write a shader which shoud compute a fast fourier transform of some data, manipulating the transformed data, do an inverse FFT an then displaying the result as vertex offset and color. I use Unity3d and HLSL as shader language. One of the main problems is that the data should not be passed from CPU to GPU for every frame if possible. My original plan was to use a vertex shader and do the fft there, but I fail to find out how to store changing data betwen shader calls/passes. I found a technique called ping-ponging which seems to be based on writing and exchangeing render targets, but I couldn't find an example for HLSL as a vertex shader yet.
      I found https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c79a3701-d028-41d9-ad74-a2b3b3958383/how-to-render-to-multiple-render-targets-in-hlsl?forum=xnaframework
      which seem to use COLOR0 and COLOR1 as such render targets.
      Is it even possible to do such calculations on the gpu only? (/in this shader stage?, because I need the result of the calculation to modify the vertex offsets there)
      I also saw the use of compute shaders in simmilar projects (ocean wave simulation), do they realy copy data between CPU / GPU for every frame?
      How does this ping-ponging / rendertarget switching technique work in HLSL?
      Have you seen an example of usage?
      Any answer would be helpfull.
      Thank you
      appswert
    • By TheZeph
      I've been doing some digging and come to the conclusion that I'm not really qualified to identify a game engine for my project alone so I came here asking for some advice.
      My game idea involves movement inside a sphere where you always have your feet on the ground (the "walls" of the sphere), basically an inverted planet. It's supposed to be multiplayer so it's not just you moving in the world. When you jump, gravity (or force etc) pulls your character towards where it jumped from and the character model should have its feet pointing that way.
      I'm really new to this and my own conclusion is that it messes with core functionality of Unreal Engine 4 which makes it really hard for me as a beginner to wrap my head around. It comes with practice but It's hard for me to come to a fair conclusion on what engine to use based on my knowledge. Therefore I'm asking for some guidance. I have most experience with the Unreal Engine.
      What engine would you recommend?
      Is the game idea with being inside a sphere difficult to do in general? Do you have any tips?
      I'm kinda lost at the moment so thank you for the help!

• By nihitori
      This is the official Sales topic for the acclaimed Colossal Game Music Collection (100+ five-star ratings on the Unity Asset Store) and its Lite version, the Essential Game Music Collection.

Updates will be made here every time a sale is taking place on either the Unity Asset Store or the Unreal Engine Marketplace.

Current Sales:

Christmas Madness 2016 Sale on the Unity Asset Store -

- Colossal Game Music Collection at 75% OFF - https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/88190

Please feel free to post here any questions you might have about either the sales or the collection itself.
    • By mlamanna_music
      We would like to give out promo codes for our children's app Abigail's Tales: First Day Butterflies, tailored towards kids ages 6 thru 8. If you have children and want a code please message us at info@dabsterent.com the app looks best on iPad.

• Popular Now