Matt Barr

DX11 HLSL: arrays as inout parameters

Hey all. I've been working with compute shaders lately, and was hoping to build out some libraries to reuse code. As a prerequisite for my current project, I needed to sort a big array of data in my compute shader, so I was going to implement quicksort as a library function. My implementation was going to use an inout array to apply the changes to the referenced array.

I spent half the day yesterday debugging in visual studio before I realized that the solution, while it worked INSIDE the function, reverted to the original state after returning from the function.

My hack fix was just to inline the code, but this is not a great solution for the future.  Any ideas? I've considered just returning an array of ints that represents the sorted indices.

Edited by Matt Barr

4 hours ago, Matt Barr said:

Hey all. I've been working with compute shaders lately, and was hoping to build out some libraries to reuse code. As a prerequisite for my current project, I needed to sort a big array of data in my compute shader, so I was going to implement quicksort as a library function. My implementation was going to use an inout array to apply the changes to the referenced array.

I spent half the day yesterday debugging in visual studio before I realized that the solution, while it worked INSIDE the function, reverted to the original state after returning from the function.

My hack fix was just to inline the code, but this is not a great solution for the future.  Any ideas? I've considered just returning an array of ints that represents the sorted indices.

If you can provide a simplest-possible repro I can test it against the latest compiler and file it with the team responsible for fixing it if it's still broken. If providing the shader is IP sensitive, I can provide you with an email address to send it to directly.

(I work for Microsoft)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By Canislupus54

I'm looking for a team to help me out with a 3D platformer. Basically, you jump between platforms with parkour elements and you fight enemies with a mix of melee and ranged attacks. This is purely a hobby project. I'm not promising any payment, ever. You can do it for experience, to learn, for fun, whatever, as long as you don't expect to get paid. Right now I need a 3D modeler and animator. Reply if you're interested. Thanks.
    • By Baemz
      Hello,
      I've been working on some culling-techniques for a project. We've built our own engine so pretty much everything is built from scratch. I've set up a frustum with the following code, assuming that the FOV is 90 degrees.
      float angle = CU::ToRadians(45.f); Plane<float> nearPlane(Vector3<float>(0, 0, aNear), Vector3<float>(0, 0, -1)); Plane<float> farPlane(Vector3<float>(0, 0, aFar), Vector3<float>(0, 0, 1)); Plane<float> right(Vector3<float>(0, 0, 0), Vector3<float>(angle, 0, -angle)); Plane<float> left(Vector3<float>(0, 0, 0), Vector3<float>(-angle, 0, -angle)); Plane<float> up(Vector3<float>(0, 0, 0), Vector3<float>(0, angle, -angle)); Plane<float> down(Vector3<float>(0, 0, 0), Vector3<float>(0, -angle, -angle)); myVolume.AddPlane(nearPlane); myVolume.AddPlane(farPlane); myVolume.AddPlane(right); myVolume.AddPlane(left); myVolume.AddPlane(up); myVolume.AddPlane(down); When checking the intersections I am using a BoundingSphere of my models, which is calculated by taking the average position of all vertices and then choosing the furthest distance to a vertex for radius. The actual intersection test looks like this, where the "myFrustum90" is the actual frustum described above.
      The orientationInverse is actually the viewMatrix-inverse in this case.
      bool CFrustum::Intersects(const SFrustumCollider& aCollider) { CU::Vector4<float> position = CU::Vector4<float>(aCollider.myCenter.x, aCollider.myCenter.y, aCollider.myCenter.z, 1.f) * myOrientationInverse; return myFrustum90.Inside({ position.x, position.y, position.z }, aCollider.myRadius); } The Inside() function looks like this.
      template <typename T> bool PlaneVolume<T>::Inside(Vector3<T> aPosition, T aRadius) const { for (unsigned short i = 0; i < myPlaneList.size(); ++i) { if (myPlaneList[i].ClassifySpherePlane(aPosition, aRadius) > 0) { return false; } } return true; } And this is the ClassifySpherePlane() function. (The plane is defined as a Vector4 called myABCD, where ABC is the normal)
      template <typename T> inline int Plane<T>::ClassifySpherePlane(Vector3<T> aSpherePosition, float aSphereRadius) const { float distance = (aSpherePosition.Dot(myNormal)) - myABCD.w; // completely on the front side if (distance >= aSphereRadius) { return 1; } // completely on the backside (aka "inside") if (distance <= -aSphereRadius) { return -1; } //sphere intersects the plane return 0; }  
      Please bare in mind that this code is not optimized nor well-written by any means. I am just looking to get it working.
      The result of this culling is that the models seem to be culled a bit "too early", so that the culling is visible and the models pops away.
      How do I get the culling to work properly?
      I have tried different techniques but haven't gotten any of them to work.
      If you need more code or explanations feel free to ask for it.

Thanks.

• By AyeRonTarpas
      A friend of mine and I are making a 2D game engine as a learning experience and to hopefully build upon the experience in the long run.

-What I'm using:
          C++;. Since im learning this language while in college and its one of the popular language to make games with why not.     Visual Studios; Im using a windows so yea.     SDL or GLFW; was thinking about SDL since i do some research on it where it is catching my interest but i hear SDL is a huge package compared to GLFW, so i may do GLFW to start with as learning since i may get overwhelmed with SDL.  
      -Questions
      Knowing what we want in the engine what should our main focus be in terms of learning. File managements, with headers, functions ect. How can i properly manage files with out confusing myself and my friend when sharing code. Alternative to Visual studios: My friend has a mac and cant properly use Vis studios, is there another alternative to it?  
    • By Pixelated_Nate
      Hi all!
      We are looking for a C# programmer for our 2D Action RPG titled Adavia, made in Unity.
      The game itself is akin to Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past, though we're also adding in traditional RPG elements such as Character Creation.
      This is more of a hobby than anything commercial, if it somehow does manage to go commercially, all revenue will be split equally among the team.
      If you're interested, we ask that you be comfortable with:
      Coding A.I's for enemies and NPCs. Working with GUI's. Communicating regularly with the team via Skype (text only). If you have any questions or would like to apply, please contact me at nathan.jenkins1012@gmail.com

• By ilovegames
      You are the commander of a special forces squadron. You were given a task that appeared simple at first glance - to check for suspicious activity in the building of an abandoned psychiatric hospital. But you could not even imagine what you will actually have to face.
      Download https://falcoware.com/HospitalSurvival.php

• Popular Now