OpenGL Access opengl from gpu? asm?

The hardware drivers are pretty much all proprietary, so unless you are a big enough player for Intel/AMD/NVidia to directly support your platform... you don't.

That said, "your own OS" in this day and age is almost certainly a Linux or Android fork, and those come with GPU drivers.

If you want to use OpenGL on an OS made from scratch, you will literally have to implement OpenGL from scratch too! OpenGL itself is just a text document describing how implementations of it (which you find in your graphics drivers) should behave.

AMD and Intel publish a lot of information on their hardware, e.g. http://developer.amd.com/resources/developer-guides-manuals/, which is everything you need to know to write a driver. See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_and_open-source_graphics_device_driver

You could always try to reverse engineer the driver too, but thats alot alot of work.  But you could always use the source of Linux's open source drivers for AMD/Nvida. (although the last time I checked they were pretty far behind there closed source counterparts - especially in the case of nvidia since they don't publish any documentation at all.

8 hours ago, Hodgman said:

AMD and Intel publish a lot of information on their hardware, e.g. http://developer.amd.com/resources/developer-guides-manuals/, which is everything you need to know to write a driver.

Does this documentation include how to communicate with the command processor?  I thought it was just an ISA reference?

Yeah I think the ISA docs tell you how to program the CU's, and the register docs tell you how to program the rest of the HW. e.g. writing to the VGT_DRAW_INITIATOR register (which is mapped to GPU address 0x287f0) launches a draw. Interestingly when I searched the interwebs for that constant name, google came up with the source for a WiiU emulator!

https://github.com/decaf-emu/decaf-emu/blob/master/src/libdecaf/src/modules/gx2/gx2_draw.cpp

5 minutes ago, Hodgman said:

and the register docs tell you how to program the rest of the HW.

That doesn't seem to have been updated since 2012.  Well looking at the open-source drivers seems to be the way to go.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By NexusDivision
      Hello people of gamedev.net

Me and my team have been working on a MMORPG game with Unreal Engine 4 for quite some time now.
      We are seeking beta tester's and have beta key's available to people who sign up on our website.
      Please visit the website https://nexusdivision.com
      Feel free to register on our forums, We can talk about the game and help everyone get a better idea of what type of game it is. 

Legion is a 3D fantasy MMORPG that has features including massive scale battles, unique characters and monsters, customization of avatars, special equipment and more. Players choose between the starter stats of Warrior, Magician, Archer and character advancement occurs through a mix of questing, PvP, Guild Wars, and hunting, depending upon player preference. In Legion, completely open PvP battles take place between members of the two warring factions.

We plan to make this game very competitive and exciting 
    • By Matuda
      Hello!
      Trying to create a physics puzzle game in my "free" time.
      So far it's going very steady, but slow.
      Hope to get some feedback from you!

Area 86 is a physics-based game, that lets you control a robot at a secret place in space.
      From simple item moving to custom imagined solutions with item picking, throwing, combining and activating!
      Explore & examine all possibilities each place has to offer and do your best to get further.
      But remember, each action has consequences and thus could break or make something unexpected.

Quick overlook of main features:
      Physics-based gameplay with no bugs or whatsoever Tasks that give you more clue on how to do things wrong Controllable robot who can be blamed for all consequences Includes more than 1 level and each level contains less than 12 possible tasks to complete [ not in free version ] Secret places and hidden objects for extra challenge  
      What can you find in the free downloadable version:
      One fully completable level with 6 tasks and 2 hidden special items to discover.
      From the task list, 2 are main tasks which you should complete to get further and then there are 4 other tasks that should challenge your thinking.
      One of the secret items is visible instant, but you need to figure out how to collect it, while the other special item is hiding.
      Another extra feature is visual hints, that should force your thinking of discovering features.

Download playable version for your system:

• By mister345
      Hi, I'm building a game engine using DirectX11 in c++.
      I need a basic physics engine to handle collisions and motion, and no time to write my own.
      What is the easiest solution for this? Bullet and PhysX both seem too complicated and would still require writing my own wrapper classes, it seems. 
      I found this thing called PAL - physics abstraction layer that can support bullet, physx, etc, but it's so old and no info on how to download or install it.
      The simpler the better. Please let me know, thanks!
    • By alex1997
      I'm looking to render multiple objects (rectangles) with different shaders. So far I've managed to render one rectangle made out of 2 triangles and apply shader to it, but when it comes to render another I get stucked. Searched for documentations or stuffs that could help me, but everything shows how to render only 1 object. Any tips or help is highly appreciated, thanks!
      Here's my code for rendering one object with shader!

#define GLEW_STATIC #include <stdio.h> #include <GL/glew.h> #include <GLFW/glfw3.h> #include "window.h" #define GLSL(src) "#version 330 core\n" #src // #define ASSERT(expression, msg) if(expression) {fprintf(stderr, "Error on line %d: %s\n", __LINE__, msg);return -1;} int main() { // Init GLFW if (glfwInit() != GL_TRUE) { std::cerr << "Failed to initialize GLFW\n" << std::endl; exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } // Create a rendering window with OpenGL 3.2 context glfwWindowHint(GLFW_CONTEXT_VERSION_MAJOR, 3); glfwWindowHint(GLFW_CONTEXT_VERSION_MINOR, 2); glfwWindowHint(GLFW_OPENGL_PROFILE, GLFW_OPENGL_CORE_PROFILE); glfwWindowHint(GLFW_OPENGL_FORWARD_COMPAT, GL_TRUE); glfwWindowHint(GLFW_RESIZABLE, GL_FALSE); // assing window pointer GLFWwindow *window = glfwCreateWindow(800, 600, "OpenGL", NULL, NULL); glfwMakeContextCurrent(window); // Init GLEW glewExperimental = GL_TRUE; if (glewInit() != GLEW_OK) { std::cerr << "Failed to initialize GLEW\n" << std::endl; exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } // ----------------------------- RESOURCES ----------------------------- // // create gl data const GLfloat positions[8] = { -0.5f, -0.5f, 0.5f, -0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f, -0.5f, 0.5f, }; const GLuint elements[6] = { 0, 1, 2, 2, 3, 0 }; // Create Vertex Array Object GLuint vao; glGenVertexArrays(1, &vao); glBindVertexArray(vao); // Create a Vertex Buffer Object and copy the vertex data to it GLuint vbo; glGenBuffers(1, &vbo); glBindBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, vbo); glBufferData(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, sizeof(positions), positions, GL_STATIC_DRAW); // Specify the layout of the vertex data glEnableVertexAttribArray(0); // layout(location = 0) glVertexAttribPointer(0, 2, GL_FLOAT, GL_FALSE, 0, 0); // Create a Elements Buffer Object and copy the elements data to it GLuint ebo; glGenBuffers(1, &ebo); glBindBuffer(GL_ELEMENT_ARRAY_BUFFER, ebo); glBufferData(GL_ELEMENT_ARRAY_BUFFER, sizeof(elements), elements, GL_STATIC_DRAW); // Create and compile the vertex shader const GLchar *vertexSource = GLSL( layout(location = 0) in vec2 position; void main() { gl_Position = vec4(position, 0.0, 1.0); } ); GLuint vertexShader = glCreateShader(GL_VERTEX_SHADER); glShaderSource(vertexShader, 1, &vertexSource, NULL); glCompileShader(vertexShader); // Create and compile the fragment shader const char* fragmentSource = GLSL( out vec4 gl_FragColor; uniform vec2 u_resolution; void main() { vec2 pos = gl_FragCoord.xy / u_resolution; gl_FragColor = vec4(1.0); } ); GLuint fragmentShader = glCreateShader(GL_FRAGMENT_SHADER); glShaderSource(fragmentShader, 1, &fragmentSource, NULL); glCompileShader(fragmentShader); // Link the vertex and fragment shader into a shader program GLuint shaderProgram = glCreateProgram(); glAttachShader(shaderProgram, vertexShader); glAttachShader(shaderProgram, fragmentShader); glLinkProgram(shaderProgram); glUseProgram(shaderProgram); // get uniform's id by name and set value GLint uRes = glGetUniformLocation(shaderProgram, "u_Resolution"); glUniform2f(uRes, 800.0f, 600.0f); // ---------------------------- RENDERING ------------------------------ // while(!glfwWindowShouldClose(window)) { // Clear the screen to black glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT); glClearColor(0.0f, 0.5f, 1.0f, 1.0f); // Draw a rectangle made of 2 triangles -> 6 vertices glDrawElements(GL_TRIANGLES, 6, GL_UNSIGNED_INT, NULL); // Swap buffers and poll window events glfwSwapBuffers(window); glfwPollEvents(); } // ---------------------------- CLEARING ------------------------------ // // Delete allocated resources glDeleteProgram(shaderProgram); glDeleteShader(fragmentShader); glDeleteShader(vertexShader); glDeleteBuffers(1, &vbo); glDeleteVertexArrays(1, &vao); return 0; }  
    • By DaddyEso
      Hello there, I am a former player in the small, but dedicated community for the long dead MMO game Wind Slayer.

I have been looking to play the game for 7 years, and just assumed that someone else would come along and create a private server. Since I've been waiting about 4 years since the last time I heard any discussion about a private server, I figured I'd have to do this myself.

I have all of the game's files, I am looking for a team who would be willing to develop a private server. Already checked on the status of the game's IP and the developer (Hamelin) is a dead company, also; none of the former publishers (Outspark, and Ignited) exist either. So copyright concerns won't be an issue since the game isn't owned by any companies as of today.

Link to the game's files for anyone who's interested: http://download.cnet.com/Windslayer/3000-7540_4-10857324.html

(@Mods, I accidentally posted this before in the wrong section. Which is the reason for the double post.
      My apologies)

• Popular Now