povilaslt2

2D Sidescroller pathfinding using A*(A star) algorithm

Hello, I'm trying to implement enemy pathfinding algorihtm, but i have problem with empty tile collision when moving enemy to node.

For example this image shows how it should move like shown in example:

large.emptyExample.png.7ca087fc95ef0becf2248a02950b9c48.png

But it stucks at last tile:
large.stuckExample.png.7816d520acf3f66d71bab023f6d714eb.png

It happens because enemy collides with right side of "air" tile and then it removes from node list because it "collided", but it works with not "air" tiles of course. How do fix this problem?

Code:

void Enemy::generateMoveToNode(AStar::Vec2i lastNode)
	{
		auto lastSave = AStar::Vec2i{ 0.0f, 0.0f };

while (!target.empty())
		{
			if (target.back().y == lastNode.y)
			{
				lastSave = target.back();
				target.pop_back();
			}
			else
			{
				moveToNodes.push_back(lastSave);
				moveToNodes.push_back(target.back());
				generateMoveToNode(target.back());
				return;
			}
		}

moveToNodes.push_back(lastSave);
	}

void Enemy::updateTarget(std::shared_ptr<InputManager> inputManager)
	{
		if (moveToNodes.empty()) return;

// Calculate half sizes.
		float halfWidthA = getSize(0) / 2.0f;
		float halfHeightA = getSize(1) / 2.0f;
		float halfWidthB = 32.0f / 2.0f;
		float halfHeightB = 32.0f / 2.0f;

// Calculate centers.
		auto centerA = glm::vec2(getPosition(0) + halfWidthA, getPosition(1) + halfHeightA);
		auto centerB = glm::vec2((moveToNodes.front().x * 32.0f) + halfWidthB, (moveToNodes.front().y * 32.0f) + halfHeightB);

// Calculate current and minimum-non-intersecting distances between centers.
		float distanceX = centerA.x - centerB.x;
		float distanceY = centerA.y - centerB.y;
		float minDistanceX = halfWidthA + halfWidthB;
		float minDistanceY = halfHeightA + halfHeightB;

setKey(inputManager->getKeyBinding("Move Left"), false);
		setKey(inputManager->getKeyBinding("Move Right"), false);
		setKey(inputManager->getKeyBinding("Jump"), false);
		setKey(inputManager->getKeyBinding("Duck"), false);

// If we are not intersecting at all, return (0, 0).
		if (abs(distanceX) >= minDistanceX || abs(distanceY) >= minDistanceY)
		{
			if (moveToNodes.front().y > ceil(getPosition(1) / 32.0f))
				setKey(inputManager->getKeyBinding("Jump"), true);
			else if (moveToNodes.front().y < ceil(getPosition(1) / 32.0f))
			{
				if (getCanClimb())
					setKey(inputManager->getKeyBinding("Duck"), true);
			}
			else
			{
				if (moveToNodes.front().x < ceil(getPosition(0) / 32.0f))
					setKey(inputManager->getKeyBinding("Move Left"), true);
				else if (moveToNodes.front().x > floor(getPosition(0) / 32.0f))
					setKey(inputManager->getKeyBinding("Move Right"), true);
			}

updateInput(inputManager);
			return;
		}

// Calculate and return intersection depths.
		float depthX = distanceX > 0 ? minDistanceX - distanceX : -minDistanceX - distanceX;
		float depthY = distanceY > 0 ? minDistanceY - distanceY : -minDistanceY - distanceY;

updateInput(inputManager);
		moveToNodes.erase(moveToNodes.begin());
	}

generateMoveToNode: recursive function to generate all nodes.

updateTarget: updates enemy every frame to check if it hits node and then removes it from list and checks next till no nodes left.

Edited by povilaslt2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Announcements

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By BAG Labs
      Mobile SoS

Platform: Android
      Genre: Board
      Link: Google Play

This games sharpen memory and test your strategies to place S-O-S pattern within time limit and serve 3 difficulties as Easy, Normal, and Hard.

Goals of the game is to put S-O-S words in patterns (Horizontal, Vertical, and Diagonal) alternately with enemy.

Features:
      Single Player Multiplayer Achievements Leaderboards  

Screenshot:

Link: Google Play

Please help us improve this game with review
    • By noodleBowl
      I was wondering if someone could explain this to me
      I'm working on using the windows WIC apis to load in textures for DirectX 11. I see that sometimes the WIC Pixel Formats do not directly match a DXGI Format that is used in DirectX. I see that in cases like this the original WIC Pixel Format is converted into a WIC Pixel Format that does directly match a DXGI Format. And doing this conversion is easy, but I do not understand the reason behind 2 of the WIC Pixel Formats that are converted based on Microsoft's guide
      I was wondering if someone could tell me why Microsoft's guide on this topic says that GUID_WICPixelFormat40bppCMYKAlpha should be converted into GUID_WICPixelFormat64bppRGBA and why GUID_WICPixelFormat80bppCMYKAlpha should be converted into GUID_WICPixelFormat64bppRGBA
      In one case I would think that: 
      GUID_WICPixelFormat40bppCMYKAlpha would convert to GUID_WICPixelFormat32bppRGBA and that GUID_WICPixelFormat80bppCMYKAlpha would convert to GUID_WICPixelFormat64bppRGBA, because the black channel (k) values would get readded / "swallowed" into into the CMY channels
      In the second case I would think that:
      GUID_WICPixelFormat40bppCMYKAlpha would convert to GUID_WICPixelFormat64bppRGBA and that GUID_WICPixelFormat80bppCMYKAlpha would convert to GUID_WICPixelFormat128bppRGBA, because the black channel (k) bits would get redistributed amongst the remaining 4 channels (CYMA) and those "new bits" added to those channels would fit in the GUID_WICPixelFormat64bppRGBA and GUID_WICPixelFormat128bppRGBA formats. But also seeing as there is no GUID_WICPixelFormat128bppRGBA format this case is kind of null and void
      I basically do not understand why Microsoft says GUID_WICPixelFormat40bppCMYKAlpha and GUID_WICPixelFormat80bppCMYKAlpha should convert to GUID_WICPixelFormat64bppRGBA in the end

• By Connor Rust
      I am currently attempting to make a navigation mesh for our 2D top down game, which is a multiplayer game using Node.js as the server communication. At the moment, I have implemented A* over an obstacle hardnessmap, which is awfully slow and laggy at times when we test our game on Heroku. I have been trying to find an algorithm to automatically generate the navmesh after map creation, instead of me having to do this manually. I am currently attempting to use Delaunay's Triangulation Divide and Conquer algorithm, but I am running into some issues. I have already asked a question on StackOverflow and am not getting many suggestions and help from it, so I figured I would come here. Is there another algorithm that might be better to use for the navmesh generation in comparison to Deluanay's Triangulation? My current implementation seems extremely buggy during the merge step and I cannot find the error. I have checked over the code countless times, comparing it to the description of the algorithm from http://www.geom.uiuc.edu/~samuelp/del_project.html. 
      My current code is this:
      class MapNode { constructor(x, y) { this.position = new Vector(x, y); this.neighbors = []; } distance(n) { return this.position.distance(n.position); } inNeighbor(n) { for (let i = 0; i < this.neighbors.length; i++) { if (this.neighbors[i] === n) return true; } return false; } addNeighbor(n) { this.neighbors = this.neighbors.filter((node) => node != n); this.neighbors.push(n); } addNeighbors(arr) { let self = this; arr.forEach((n) => self.neighbors.push(n)); } removeNeighbor(n) { this.neighbors = this.neighbors.filter((neighbor) => neighbor != n); } } class Triangle { constructor(p1, p2, p3) { this.p1 = p1; this.p2 = p2; this.p3 = p3; this.neighbors = []; } addNeighbors(n) { this.neighbors.push(n); } } function genSubMat(matrix, ignoreCol) { let r = []; for (let i = 0; i < matrix.length - 1; i++) { r.push([]); for (let j = 0; j < matrix[0].length; j++) { if (j != ignoreCol) r[i].push(matrix[i + 1][j]); } } return r; } function determinantSqMat(matrix) { if (matrix.length != matrix[0].length) return false; if (matrix.length === 2) return matrix[0][0] * matrix[1][1] - matrix[1][0] * matrix[0][1]; let det = 0; for (let i = 0; i < matrix.length; i++) { let r = genSubMat(matrix, i); let tmp = matrix[0][i] * determinantSqMat(r); if (i % 2 == 0) det += tmp; else det -= tmp; } return -det; } // if d is in the circle formed by points a, b, and c, return > 0 // d is on circle, return 0 // d is outside of circle, return < 0 function inCircle(a, b, c, d) { let arr = [a, b, c, d]; let mat = [ [], [], [], [] ]; for (let i = 0; i < arr.length; i++) { mat[i][0] = 1; mat[i][1] = arr[i].position.x; mat[i][2] = arr[i].position.y; mat[i][3] = arr[i].position.x * arr[i].position.x + arr[i].position.y * arr[i].position.y; } return determinantSqMat(mat); } function walkable(from, to, hardnessMap) { let diff = new Vector(to.x - from.x, to.y - from.y); if (Math.abs(diff.x) > Math.abs(diff.y)) diff.scale(Math.abs(1 / diff.x)); else diff.scale(Math.abs(1 / diff.y)); let current = new Vector(from.x + diff.x, from.y + diff.y); while (Math.round(current.x) != to.x || Math.round(current.y) != to.y) { if (hardnessMap[Math.floor(current.y)][Math.floor(current.x)] === 1) return false; current.x += diff.x; current.y += diff.y; } return true; } function getLowest(nodes) { let lowest = nodes[0]; for (let i = 1; i < nodes.length; i++) { if (nodes[i].position.y < lowest.position.y) lowest = nodes[i]; } return lowest; } // returns the angle between 2 vectors, if cw is true, then return clockwise angle between, // else return the ccw angle between. b is the "hinge" point function angleBetween(a, b, c, cw) { let ba = new Vector(a.position.x - b.position.x, a.position.y - b.position.y); let bc = new Vector(c.position.x - b.position.x, c.position.y - b.position.y); let v0 = new Vector(0, 1); let angleBA = v0.angleBetween(ba) * 180 / Math.PI; if (angleBA < 0) angleBA += 360; let angleBC = v0.angleBetween(bc) * 180 / Math.PI; if (angleBC < 0) angleBC += 360; let smallest = Math.min(angleBA, angleBC); let largest = Math.max(angleBA, angleBC); let angle = largest - smallest; return (cw) ? angle : 360 - angle; } function sortSmallestAngle(a, b, list, cw) { list.sort((m, n) => { let vab = new Vector(a.position.x - b.position.x, a.position.y - b.position.y); let vmb = new Vector(m.position.x - b.position.x, m.position.y - b.position.y); let vnb = new Vector(n.position.x - b.position.x, n.position.y - b.position.y); if (cw) return vab.angleBetween(vmb, cw) - vab.angleBetween(vnb, cw); else return vab.angleBetween(vnb, cw) - vab.angleBetween(vmb, cw); }); } // a is in list, b is in the other list function getPotential(a, b, list, cw) { sortSmallestAngle(b, a, list, cw); for (let i = 0; i < list.length - 1; i++) { let angle = angleBetween(b, a, list[i], cw); if (angle > 180) return false; else if (inCircle(a, b, list[i], list[i + 1]) <= 0) return list[i]; else { a.removeNeighbor(list[i]); list[i].removeNeighbor(a); } } let potential = list[list.length - 1]; if (potential) { let angle = angleBetween(a, b, potential, cw); if (angle > 180) return false; return potential; } return false; } function merge(leftNodes, rightNodes, leftBase, rightBase, hardnessMap) { leftBase.addNeighbor(rightBase); rightBase.addNeighbor(leftBase); let newLeft = leftNodes.filter((n) => n != leftBase); let newRight = rightNodes.filter((n) => n != rightBase); let potentialLeft = getPotential(leftBase, rightBase, newLeft, false); let potentialRight = getPotential(rightBase, leftBase, newRight, true); if (!potentialLeft && !potentialRight) return; else if (potentialLeft && !potentialRight) merge(newLeft, newRight, potentialLeft, rightBase, hardnessMap); else if (potentialRight && !potentialLeft) merge(newLeft, newRight, leftBase, potentialRight, hardnessMap); else { if (inCircle(leftBase, rightBase, potentialLeft, potentialRight) <= 0) merge(newLeft, newRight, potentialLeft, rightBase, hardnessMap); if (inCircle(leftBase, rightBase, potentialRight, potentialLeft) <= 0) merge(newLeft, newRight, leftBase, potentialRight, hardnessMap); } } // divide and conquer algorithm function delaunay(nodes, hardnessMap) { if (nodes.length <= 3) { for (let i = 0; i < nodes.length; i++) for (let j = 0; j < nodes.length; j++) if (i != j) nodes[i].addNeighbor(nodes[j]); return nodes; } else { nodes.sort((a, b) => { let tmp = a.position.x - b.position.x; if (tmp === 0) return b.position.y - a.position.y; return tmp; }); let l = nodes.length; let leftNodes; let rightNodes; if (l === 4) { leftNodes = delaunay(nodes.slice(0, 3), hardnessMap); rightNodes = delaunay(nodes.slice(3, 4), hardnessMap); } else { leftNodes = delaunay(nodes.slice(0, Math.floor(nodes.length / 2)), hardnessMap); rightNodes = delaunay(nodes.slice(Math.floor(nodes.length / 2), nodes.length), hardnessMap); } let leftBase = getLowest(leftNodes); let rightBase = getLowest(rightNodes); merge(leftNodes, rightNodes, leftBase, rightBase, hardnessMap); console.log("=============================MergeComplete================================"); return nodes; } }  
    • By Hilster
      Hello 2D Artists,
      I've started making a 2D Puzzle Adventure game for mobile and I'm looking for someone who would want in on creating assets for the game. The core of the programming is pretty much complete, you can walk within the grid laid out and push boxes, when there is an object on top of a pressure pad it will activate the linked objects or if there is one object with multiple linked pressure pads it requires you to activate all points for the object to become active. 

The level iteration for the game is quick and simple, a Photoshop file that is made of individual pixels that represents objects is put into the game and it creates the level out of those pixels with the assigned objects.
      The objects that need sprites created so far is the character, box, pressure pad, door, trap door, the walls, the stairs and the tiled background.
      I intend to add more objects so the amount I'd like to add will be extended.
      My motivations for posting here is to have something that looks nice to be able to display on my portfolio, so if you're looking for a working game that you can place your art into and improve the look of your portfolio then we're in business.
      Please reply with a few past examples of your art below and I'll be in touch!
    • By lucky6969b
      I am not sure I can ask questions about a specific library here, but if you haven't already. I'd like to tag some polys in a navigation mesh that correspond to grass or road etc, I can give an extent to do so, or in another way, I can directly feed a geometry in and the polys are tagged this way. But I am looking into alternative ways such as allowing the user to tag the polys using a text file or bitmap file (like the way heightfields are done).. If I define a area map which is a grayscale  image, and the values range from 0-255, and for example, if the value of the first char is 0, then I can map this index to certain place in the navigation mesh, and say this is a walkable ground etc, unlike heightfields, where you define an image and the resultant thing is some terrain, but when you start off with a bitmap for area map, you end up with what? you see, I had the geometry already, the area map probably doesn't make sense here, same way as the text file thing....
      Any ideas?
      Jack
  • Popular Now