C++ Writing char arrays (binary)

Hi all,

For practice I'm trying to write 3D mesh data to a binary format. To eventually also be able to read meshes from binary files (provided by the asset pipeline).

I understand how to write floats, vectors of floats, ints etc by using a write((char*)myVar, sizeof(type) to the file, for which I'm using std::ofstream.

My goal is to write a 3D vector or other type (struct) to the file and be able to read it back the same way. From what I understand, I need to create function that returns a char array combining all members of the struct.

So in short; how can I create this char array, in a "safe" way?

So far I've come up with this approach:

- calculate number of needed bytes/chars, i.e 12 bytes for a 3D vector with 3 floats

- char result[12]

- cast the 3 individual floats to char[4]'s and use strcpy to result for the 1st and strcat for the others

Is this the way to go or would you suggest other approaches?

question 2; How would I read/convert the char array back to the 3 floats when reading it from the binary file?

Any input is appreciated.

I'm not even sure what's your problem there. Let's start from the basics: the only thing that truly exist is memory and bits. As long as you're going with 'basic' types such as floats the following will do: 

ubyte blobby[12];
memcpy(blobby, src, sizeof(blobby));
float *bruh = (float*)blobby;

Hoping `blobby` to be properly aligned.

First you have to ensure your `int` is the same as the serialized `int` and that's why you have `__int32` or `std::int64_t`. And of course you have endianess problems but let's assume you'll be loading on 'coherent' machines.

When `struct` enters the picture `memcpy` goes out due to possibility of different compiler packing.

There are various options for (de)serialization, I'd suggest pupping all the things.

That or google protobuffers but in my experience they're not quite convenient for game purposes due to their everything can be optional nonsense.

Thanks guys.

I've been playing around using this input. Unfortunately writing the struct or array (std::vector) at once, doesn't work by trying to cast to (myType*), it does work when I cast it to (char*). See the code samples below, tested all 3 positive.

Would I have any risks on this approach, depending on platform? (size of float etc.).
I'll make sure the struct I use as a POD struct, which is the case in the example below.

void ReadWriteStruct()
{
	std::ofstream writeFile;
	writeFile.open("data.bin", std::ios::out, std::ios::binary);
	writeFile.write((char*)&srcVector, sizeof(VECTOR3));
	writeFile.close();

MessageBox(NULL, L"Vector written to binary file - full struct!", L"Done", MB_OK);

std::ifstream readFile;
	readFile.open("data.bin", std::ios::in, std::ios::binary);

VECTOR3 myReadVec3;
	readFile.read((char*)&myReadVec3, sizeof(VECTOR3));
	readFile.close();

char tempText[100];
	sprintf_s(tempText, "Read: %f, %f, %f\n", myReadVec3.x, myReadVec3.y, myReadVec3.z);
	OutputDebugStringA(tempText);
}

void ReadWriteArray()
{
	std::vector<VECTOR3> myVectors(2);
	myVectors[0].x = 0.2f;
	myVectors[0].y = 0.7f;
	myVectors[0].z = 0.95f;
	myVectors[1].x = 5.2f;
	myVectors[1].y = 4.7f;
	myVectors[1].z = 7.75f;

writeFile.write((char*)&myVectors[0], myVectors.size() * sizeof(VECTOR3));
	writeFile.close();

MessageBox(NULL, L"Vector written to binary file - full struct!", L"Done", MB_OK);

std::vector<VECTOR3> readVectors(2);
	readFile.read((char*)&readVectors[0], sizeof(VECTOR3));
	readFile.read((char*)&readVectors[1], sizeof(VECTOR3));
	readFile.close();

char tempText[100];
	sprintf_s(tempText, "Read 1: %f, %f, %f\n", readVectors[0].x, readVectors[0].y, readVectors[0].z);
	sprintf_s(tempText, "Read 2: %f, %f, %f\n", readVectors[1].x, readVectors[1].y, readVectors[1].z);
}

17 hours ago, cozzie said:

Thanks guys.

I've been playing around using this input. Unfortunately writing the struct or array (std::vector) at once, doesn't work by trying to cast to (myType*), it does work when I cast it to (char*). See the code samples below, tested all 3 positive.

Would I have any risks on this approach, depending on platform? (size of float etc.).
I'll make sure the struct I use as a POD struct, which is the case in the example below.

void ReadWriteStruct()
{
	writeFile.write((char*)&srcVector, sizeof(VECTOR3));
	writeFile.close();

VECTOR3 myReadVec3;
	readFile.read((char*)&myReadVec3, sizeof(VECTOR3));
	readFile.close();

char tempText[100];
	sprintf_s(tempText, "Read: %f, %f, %f\n", myReadVec3.x, myReadVec3.y, myReadVec3.z);
}

void ReadWriteArray()
{
	std::vector<VECTOR3> myVectors(2);
	myVectors[0].x = 0.2f;
	myVectors[0].y = 0.7f;
	myVectors[0].z = 0.95f;
	myVectors[1].x = 5.2f;
	myVectors[1].y = 4.7f;
	myVectors[1].z = 7.75f;

writeFile.write((char*)&myVectors[0], myVectors.size() * sizeof(VECTOR3));
	writeFile.close();

std::vector<VECTOR3> readVectors(2);
	readFile.read((char*)&readVectors[0], sizeof(VECTOR3));
	readFile.read((char*)&readVectors[1], sizeof(VECTOR3));
	readFile.close();

char tempText[100];
	sprintf_s(tempText, "Read 1: %f, %f, %f\n", readVectors[0].x, readVectors[0].y, readVectors[0].z);
	sprintf_s(tempText, "Read 2: %f, %f, %f\n", readVectors[1].x, readVectors[1].y, readVectors[1].z);
}

I made a mistake, it should have been char* not myType*. I don't see a structure in your post but usually a vector struct is a POD.

You can read the vector array in a single call as well.

Krohm already posted the problems you may face.

On 10/11/2017 at 12:57 AM, Krohm said:

There are various options for (de)serialization, I'd suggest pupping all the things.

I second this approach.

Break it down so that you're only serializing fundamental types. This allows you to avoid all issues with alignment and padding, properly handle endian-ness, and trivially support composites of serializeable types.

There's nothing you gain from trying to read/write entire buffers of typed data at once, other than the potential for hard-to-find bugs.

A little bit off topic but i always first writr then length of char array and then i writr char array anyway

Memcpy is your pal, you just memcpy(&floatvar, &chartable[index],3);

Something kike this you copy some amount memory to float pointer

Do you mean first writing everything to a char array (aka buffer) and then write that buffer to file?

That could work, but then I have to calculate the index manually, which could be a risk if some type has a different bytesize on another problem (writing per variable and using sizeof, I think prevents this). In your example, shouldn't 3 be 4 (bytes for a float)?

But perhaps there's a way to use a buffer while keeping this in mind (or don't manually calculate the index of each variable).

I don't understand the difficulty that you have, aren't you just over-thinking stuff? I mean

class Writer {
  void WriteInt(int n) { Store((const char *)&n, sizeof(n)); }
  void WriteFloat(float n) { Store((const char *)&n, sizeof(n)); }
  // etc

void Store(const char *base, size_t sz) {
    for (int i = 0; i < sz; i++) // store or write base[i]
  }
}

struct SomeStuff {
  int a;
  float b;

void Write(Writer &w) {
    w.WriteInt(a);
    w.WriteFloat(b);
  }
}

Make a Writer class that has a function for each type of data, for each structure you have add a "Write" method that writes self to the Writer. Reading is just the other way around, you have a Reader class with functions that produce various elementary values, and each struct has a Read method that assigns fields in the same order as the Write method.

Be aware though that the above is not portable. (For example, there are at least 4 different byte patterns that WriteInt could generate on relatively modern systems, for example, although you're unlikely to see 2 of them.)

I have no idea what the previous 2 posts were about, however. Perhaps the typos caused confusion. Writing variable-length arrays or lists of anything is usually best achieved by prepending the length, obviously.

50 minutes ago, Alberth said:

Make a Writer class that has a function for each type of data, for each structure you have add a "Write" method that writes self to the Writer. Reading is just the other way around, you have a Reader class with functions that produce various elementary values, and each struct has a Read method that assigns fields in the same order as the Write method.

Or go with pupping and have a single function to read, write and compute size. No repeating yourself but I feel like beating a dead horse at this point.

(Just an aside: I don't like the use of the term 'pupping' because that was just invented for that article. The idea of writing out the fields individually is not new, nor is the idea of using a single function for both reads and writes, e.g. https://gafferongames.com/post/serialization_strategies/ . Apart from that however, the linked article is good.)

Ohh I did this a while ago, I ended up posting a stackoverflow question because I was still learning many of the fundamentals to C++ at the time. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/20198002/how-is-a-struct-stored-in-memory

I'll synthesize the important stuff for you though. Which is that all you really need to know is that an object of any struct is stored in memory as an array of bytes (and lets be honest even primitive types are too, they are just much shorter). Binary files are essentially really long arrays of bytes.

So one of my favorite reasons to use a union is to have char arrays laying around which represent some data that is quite likely going to be pushed into a file. You need to know how many bytes your data is, but it is quite easy.

struct POD
{
	float X,Y,Z;
};

union quickie_data
{
	POD data_obj;
	char data_raw[sizeof(POD)];
};

Totally unnecessary though. Somebody has probably already said this, but you can just say `write( (char*)my_struct, sizeof(MyStruct));`

16 hours ago, coope said:

Totally unnecessary though. Somebody has probably already said this, but you can just say `write( (char*)my_struct, sizeof(MyStruct));`

Yes, it was literally in the 3rd paragraph of the 1st post. Much of the rest of the thread is pointing out why this is a bad thing to do.

A bit late to the party, but have a look at this pattern, I think it's a really elegant way to serialize binary data. Also have a read of section 7.4 in Beej's guide to network programming about data serialization and how to make binary data portable here: http://beej.us/guide/bgnet/output/html/singlepage/bgnet.html#serialization

struct Serializer
{
    // To be implemented by files, buffers, network connections, or whatever stream you want to write to
    virtual size_t write(void* data, size_t size) = 0;

bool writeUByte(unsigned char byte) { return write(&byte, sizeof(byte)) == sizeof(byte); }
    bool writeUInt(uint32_t i) { return write(&i, sizeof(i)) == sizeof(i); }
    bool writeFloat(float f) {
        uint32_t buf = htonf(f);  // Convert to portable representation
        return writeUInt(buf);
    }
    bool writeVector3(const Vector3& v) {
        bool success = true;
        success &= writeFloat(v.x);
        success &= writeFloat(v.y);
        success &= writeFloat(v.z);
        return success;
    }
    // Etc.
};

Basically you write methods for all of the different types of data you want to have serialized in your program (maybe you have buffers, strings, quaternions...) Then you can implement the serializer for a file like so:

struct File : public Serializer{
    size_t write(void* data, size_t size) override {
        return fwrite(fp_, data, size);
    }
private:
    FILE* fp_;
};

Or you could implement the serializer for a buffer:

struct Buffer : public Serializer{
    size_t write(void* data, size_t size) override {
        for (size_t i = 0; i != size; ++i)
            buffer_.push_back(((char*)data)[i]);  // horribly slow way
    }
private:
    std::vector<char> buffer_;
};

You get the idea. The point is, the code writing the data doesn't have to care about what it's writing too and it also doesn't have to care about endianness or type sizes, because that's handled by Serializer.

Then, similarly, you write a Deserializer to handle reading the data back:

struct Deserializer
{
    virtual size_t read(void* dest, size_t size) = 0;

unsigned char readUByte() {
        unsigned char buf;
        read(&buf, sizeof(buf));
        return buf;
    }

uint32_t readUInt() {
        uint32_t buf;
        read(&buf, sizeof(buf));
        return buf;
    }

float readFloat() {
        uint32_t buf = readUInt();
        return ntohf(buf);
    }

Vector3 readVector3() {
        Vector3 v;
        v.x = readFloat();
        v.y = readFloat();
        v.z = readFloat();
        return v;
    }
};

Example usage would be:

struct Vector3
{
    float x, y, z;
};

int main()
{
    Vector3 v = {1.0f, 4.0f, 7.0f};

File ser;
    ser.open("whatever.dat");
    ser.writeVector3(v);
    ser.close();

File des;
    des.open("whatever.dat");
    v = des.readVector3();
    des.close();
}

Edited by TheComet

Thanks guys and sorry for the late response. I've adder the ReadXxx and WriteXxx helpers, the code's much cleaner now. I decided to stick with writing/ casting only the individual standard types (float, uint etc).

What I didn't figure out yet is how I can read a full chunk of data and "place" that in a std::vector. For example, say that I know that there are 100 floats in the file, would it be possible to read them all at once and place them in a std::vector<float> (with a size of 100)?

On ‎30‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:04 AM, cozzie said:

Thanks guys and sorry for the late response. I've adder the ReadXxx and WriteXxx helpers, the code's much cleaner now. I decided to stick with writing/ casting only the individual standard types (float, uint etc).

What I didn't figure out yet is how I can read a full chunk of data and "place" that in a std::vector. For example, say that I know that there are 100 floats in the file, would it be possible to read them all at once and place them in a std::vector<float> (with a size of 100)?

I'd add methods for doing that to you serializer/deserializer classes:

class Deserializer {
    /* ... */

void readFloatArray(std::vector<float>* v) {
        size_t arraySize = readUInt();  // we saved the size so we know how much to read
        v->resize(arraySize);
        for (size_t i = 0; i < arraySize; ++i)
            v->push_back(readFloat());
    }

/* ... */
};

class Serializer {
    /* ... */

void writeFloatArray(const std::vector<float>& v) {
        writeUInt(v.size());  // save size, for reading back
        for (size_t i = 0; i < v.size(); ++i)
            writeFloat(v[i]);