Sign in to follow this  
irreversible

Multi-resolution assets and adding "oomph" to your palette

Howdy!

I'm creating my own graphics assets, but being much more of a coder than an artist, I'm struggling with a few issues. This is NOT a mobile game (that is, I'm targeting PC), so the problems may likely be less pronounced than what I'm experiencing during development.

In music there is a step that comes after you create your track (called mastering), which takes the final mix and modifies it in such a way that it sounds "equally good" on as many setups as possible. This means making the track sound good in a studio (eg the equivalent of a calibrated 4K display or cinema), a home setting (a basic 1080p monitor), when streaming (some older sub-FHD laptop) and in case some individuals want to listen to it on an old phone with only one speaker - eg in mono (let's say this is a 800x600 4:3 CRT monitor).

I'm having essentially the same problem, but with resolutions and palette. 

- my orginial assets target 4K, but look muddy when used in some arbitrary lower resolution, which is not a multiple of 1080p (I suppose a common example might be 1377x768). I'm guaranteeing the same pixel aspect in my game code, but the bilinear downscaling gets rid of most accents and edges, making everything blurry and blended together. I can add a resolution-dependent detail map to some things (eg the ground) to restore some fidelity, but this won't work with objects. Do you manually tailor your assets for two or three common resolutions and have the game pick the best match at runtime?

- what do you use to control your palette? I feel like there should be a tool for this (at least for people such as myself who are not very good at art design). I have access to Photoshop and realize I could set up my swatches, but since I'm not working on some retro shooter, the color depth at my disposal is still 24 bits. This is too much, because my assets tend to have this uncanny valley effect where they're similar in tonality, but don't really jibe together in-game. Any suggestions as to how to limit my palette without resorting to 8 bits? Or is it just a matter of "git gud"? :) 

Edited by irreversible

On 10/11/2017 at 10:53 AM, irreversible said:

my orginial assets target 4K, but look muddy when used in some arbitrary lower resolution, which is not a multiple of 1080p

You are looking for mip maps and mipmaps blending.

The way this works is that you start with a very large image say 4K. Then using your UI tool you build a scalable UI, you can keep it simple and only scale by percentage if you want.

A mipmap will provide you with half of each texture so 4k->2K->1K->512->256->128->64->32->16->8->4->2->1

Now if you worked on 4096*4096 then scaled to 1080p(1920*1200) your X would find the two nearest 2K and 1K then work out the percentage: 1920/ 2048 = 0.94- 0.5= 0.44*2=0.88 (Because 1024 =0.5 of 2048)  and lerp (2048, 1024, 0.88) between the two textures using the percent. The same would happen to Y 1200/2048 = (0.59-0.5)*2 = 0.17 and lerp(2048, 1024, 0.17).

So your new image would be (0.88 of 2048, 0.17 of 2048) and the rest of the texture would be 1024.

Confusing? Your in luck just Download Unreal or Unity and the engine will already have UI scaling tools and mipmap blending. All you would need to do is check the box that reads mipmaps and the engine will do this for you on auto.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Announcements

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By Brian Paek
      Football Dash now on iOS! Over 1 million downloads on Android
      iOS:
      https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/football-dash-endless-runner/id1312590451?ls=1&mt=8
      Android:
      https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.beastattack.c1434846484727

• By zizulot
      first and only logo , for now
    • By adapelin
      I am a computer engineering student and i have the assignment below. İ only can write the 2D maze array and have no idea about creating car and time as well. Could anyone write and explain hot to do???
      Minimum Criteria: You are expected to design the game by using C ++ . Below are the minimal criteria: • You must create game board with 2 - Dimensional Matrix • Bonuses create with randomly in the game board • All bonuses have got the same value but different effect for car and score . These effects may be positive or negative . • You must use pointer for creating and using car . Some bonuses may be change car type. • When the game finish, you must show high - score. • For moving car , you need to create coordinate s randomly and you need to write proper control statements. • You must use functions for drawing game board and changing car type . If you need extra functions, you can use it. • If you cannot get out the maze when the time is up , the game is over and you need to show high score. In this project, you must do all minimum criteria. In the end, your program must be work without any errors. Bonus: • Save and load high score information to/from disk • Each bonus has got different random values. • You can create cheat codes for the game. • You can create alternative control for car . • Car can jump over the wall but may lose the score . When car exit the maze , game is over and you need to show high score.    
    • By jhay_u
      so i have this 2D point and click game wherein you play as teenage boy being forced to deal illegal drugs in exchange for your kidnapped sister. 
      the game is currently in production and the game somehow has very few challenges to it according to testers.
      now, im kinda looking for suggestions regarding some puzzles that i could integrate onto the game. the game's theme is somehow dark, serious and true to life. something that happens in real life perhaps.
      some of the mechanics i have is item interaction and dialogue system where responses would vary and affect certain outcomes.
      comments and suggestions would be very much appreciated. thanks!
    • By Bahototh
      Thy Sword is a hack n' slash platformer with procedural levels and roguelike elements.
      Inspired by classic games and executed with perfect controls and fun mechanics. Get ready for a heroic challenge! Better yet, summon a friend for a truly epic co-op adventure, ...or a duel to the death. Whoever wins keeps his head. A world of Sword & Sorcery awaits! The game you always wanted...graphics and sounds inspired by epic 80's and 90's golden games. Now it's within your grasp with modern mechanics and responsive controls.
      Thy Sword on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/560300/Thy_Sword/
      Launch Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPWkAeJLo74

Key Features:
      - Single player or local co-op, player vs. player combat
      - Procedurally generated levels
      - Discover Heroes, Weapons, Items, Bosses and challenges
      - Fast paced yet strategic combat, full controller support with customization
      - Beautiful true resolution pixel art & animation
      - Chip music created using the legendary SID (Commodore 64)
      Thank You for reading! A wolrd of Sword & Sorcery awaits!!!

-------------------------------
      About GamePhase:
      Three man Indie Developer from Finland. Developing games with passion, pixels and blood magic. Find out more at www.gamephase.net
      November 12, 2017. Vaasa, Finland.

• Popular Now