• Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By elect
      ok, so, we are having problems with our current mirror reflection implementation.
      At the moment we are doing it very simple, so for the i-th frame, we calculate the reflection vectors given the viewPoint and some predefined points on the mirror surface (position and normal).
      Then, using the least squared algorithm, we find the point that has the minimum distance from all these reflections vectors. This is going to be our virtual viewPoint (with the right orientation).
      After that, we render offscreen to a texture by setting the OpenGL camera on the virtual viewPoint.
      And finally we use the rendered texture on the mirror surface.
      So far this has always been fine, but now we are having some more strong constraints on accuracy.
      What are our best options given that:
      - we have a dynamic scene, the mirror and parts of the scene can change continuously from frame to frame
      - we have about 3k points (with normals) per mirror, calculated offline using some cad program (such as Catia)
      - all the mirror are always perfectly spherical (with different radius vertically and horizontally) and they are always convex
      - a scene can have up to 10 mirror
      - it should be fast enough also for vr (Htc Vive) on fastest gpus (only desktops)

Looking around, some papers talk about calculating some caustic surface derivation offline, but I don't know if this suits my case
      Also, another paper, used some acceleration structures to detect the intersection between the reflection vectors and the scene, and then adjust the corresponding texture coordinate. This looks the most accurate but also very heavy from a computational point of view.

Other than that, I couldn't find anything updated/exhaustive around, can you help me?
      Thanks in advance
    • By Sol R
      Hi guys, I`m starting to learn game development and I'm aiming it for VR development. Right now I can`t afford any VR equipment so until I can, I want to start learning whatever principles needed that will follow with me to VR when I will get it. I started learning the basics of C# and a little bit (play around) with Unity. I have a lot of mess in my head and I want to make it efficient as possible because I`m self-learn all of it. I want to make an efficient syllabus to follow, milestones, to know what I learned and what else should I learn and be as efficient as possible at it. After I will know my route, I will polish my plan more specifically. What I need is the information of what exactly I need (and can) to learn right now for VR development, in what order, and recommended resources for it would be much appreciated.   Thanks a lot in advance. Sol University
    • By samoan62
      I was wondering if anyone here has experience with VR development for Unity. Having previous Unity experience, I'd prefer to stick with Unity but am open to other engines. It's something I've been interested in, and I'm wondering which community/technology is the easiest to use.
      An Oculus Rift costs around $400, so I'd rather not invest money in that if it doesn't have a big community and support behind it. Another option I was looking at was Google Cardboard for Unity. The guy here has a pretty good starter tutorial on VR dev for Android and the headset is only ~$20 and the Moga controller is only another 20 or so. This is definitely the most economical option, but I'd rather not go down that path if no one uses this technology or if VR on Android is crappy or something. 
      The VR community doesn't seem like it's that big, so I'm having a hard time getting a feel for what's popular and what direction the technology is going. 
    • By GameDev.net
      Chris "Crispy" Pusczak, CEO and Creative Director of SymbioVR, discusses virtual reality and the peripherals in VR that help with a deeper level of immersion.
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/symbiovr
      PPTX Slides: Download
    • By Yosef BenSadon
      Hi , I was considering this start up http://adshir.com/, for investment and i would like a little bit of feedback on what the developers community think about the technology.
      So far what they have is a demo that runs in real time on a Tablet at over 60FPS, it runs locally on the  integrated GPU of the i7 . They have a 20 000 triangles  dinosaur that looks impressive,  better than anything i saw on a mobile device, with reflections and shadows looking very close to what they would look in the real world. They achieved this thanks to a  new algorithm of a rendering technique called Path tracing/Ray tracing, that  is very demanding and so far it is done mostly for static images.
      From what i checked around there is no real option for real time ray tracing (60 FPS on consumer devices). There was imagination technologies that were supposed to release a chip that supports real time ray tracing, but i did not found they had a product in the market or even if the technology is finished as their last demo  i found was with a PC.  The other one is OTOY with their brigade engine that is still not released and if i understand well is more a cloud solution than in hardware solution .
      Would there  be a sizable  interest in the developers community in having such a product as a plug-in for existing game engines?  How important  is Ray tracing to the  future of high end real time graphics?
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Epic Teams with NVIDIA for Enterprise-Grade VR

Epic Games today announced it has teamed with NVIDIA to deliver enterprise-grade solutions to help application developers create better, more immersive VR experiences.

Enterprise businesses have been among the most enthusiastic adopters of VR to improve production workflows, visualize CAD designs, boost safety and training, and create better experiences for customers. This requires sophisticated and reliable VR platforms and tools.

To ease enterprise VR adoption, Epic has integrated NVIDIA Quadro professional GPUs into the test suite for Unreal Engine 4, the company's real-time toolset for creating applications across PC, console, mobile, VR and AR platforms. This ensures NVIDIAtechnologies integrate seamlessly into developers' workflows, delivering excellent results for everything from CAVEs and multi-projection systems through to enterprise VR and AR solutions.

"With our expanding focus on industries outside of games, we've aligned ourselves ever more closely with NVIDIA to offer an enterprise-grade experience," said Marc Petit, general manager of the Unreal Engine Enterprise business. "NVIDIA Quadro professional GPUs empower artists, designers and content creators who need to work unencumbered with the largest 3D models and datasets, tackle complex visualization challenges, and deliver highly immersive VR experiences. By combining NVIDIA hardware with Unreal Engine, developers are ensured excellent performance and productivity."

One project that has driven this effort is Epic's collaboration with GM and The Mill on "The Human Race," a real-time short film and mixed reality experience featuring a configurable Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, which was built using NVIDIA Quadro pro graphics.

Another company that has benefitted from Epic's collaboration with NVIDIA is Theia Interactive a pioneer of real-time architectural visualization. Stephen Phillips, CTO of Theia, added, "NVIDIA Quadro provides an incredible amount of computing power for running beautiful VR experiences within Unreal Engine. Having 24GB of VRAM allows us to use hundreds of high-resolution, uncompressed lightmaps for incredible real-time architectural visualizations that rival the quality of the finest offline renderers."

"As the market for VR and AR content expands, professional developers in industries such as automotive, architecture, healthcare and others are using Unreal Engine to create amazing immersive experiences," said Bob Pette, vice president of Professional Visualization at NVIDIA. "Unreal, from version 4.16, is the first real-time toolset to meet NVIDIA Quadro partner standards. Our combined solution provides leaders in these markets the reliability and performance they require for the optimum VR experience."

Learn more at http://unrealengine.com/enterprise.

View full story