Which Social Media is the Most Popular Among Gamers?

Started by
5 comments, last by zizulot 6 years, 5 months ago

I’m trying to figure out how to spread news about an indie game to as many gamers as we can, without spamming every freaking Social Media platform there is.

Though our team is still far from actually releasing the game, we figured it’s the right time to start thinking about where do we want to talk about our game. With the recent rise of popularity of Pinterest, Quora, Linkedin and so on, we are wondering if that’s where we should be as well, or will we just end up targeting the wrong audience? Naturally, we don’t want this to happen, so my question today is: Where would you most likely get news about upcoming games, and possibly even follow the development of a game you like?

Would that be Facebook? Twitter? Pinterest? Snapchat? LinkedIn? Instagram? Quora? Popular forum? Perhaps a developer’s website? Is there any other place I forgot and you think might be the right place to post for us? Please let me know in the comments. Help is much appreciated.

Advertisement

There were some suggestions on this in one of the recent GameDev Unboxed columns, "Indie Marketing For N00bs: Lesson 2 - Social Media Makes The World Turn".

The fifth paragraph "what should I have and not have" lists a bunch of options, and Jesse suggests that you really should be everywhere you can be, which I would agree with - you probably should be (cleverly) spamming every platform, as you put it.  You can probably skip LinkedIn if you're trying to reach your players rather than networking with other developers.  Twitch, Facebook, and Twitter seem particularly popular if you're able to stand out.

- Jason Astle-Adams

4 hours ago, jbadams said:

There were some suggestions on this in one of the recent GameDev Unboxed columns, "Indie Marketing For N00bs: Lesson 2 - Social Media Makes The World Turn".

The fifth paragraph "what should I have and not have" lists a bunch of options, and Jesse suggests that you really should be everywhere you can be, which I would agree with - you probably should be (cleverly) spamming every platform, as you put it.  

The problem with that is that I'm a sole marketer in the team and trying to be active on every platform (along with all the other marketing activities) would definitely burn me out. Most of the modern marketing influencers also recommend pull over the push tactics, which would mean focusing only on few platforms and having more quality content there(quality > quantity). So I have to say that while I appreciate some of his advices (I read his lessons), that's one advice I'm probably going to skip (only SM-wise, I'll still try to be on every forum possible, trying to drive traffic to the website). Thanks for the reply and food for thought! ?

It is a very good idea to start marketing ahead of time, so you are on the right track. I recommend that you at least try to be omnipresent on Social Media. You should test each platform to evaluate what it will take to grow on that channel, and evaluate if it will be worth the cost to proceed. The key is to recycle content (video, images, etc.) and utilize automation tools like Edgar to save time and energy.

The three main platforms you should focus on to reach gamers:

1. Facebook can be a difficult platform to achieve results on organically (free), but by sharing native videos (not YouTube links) across groups, you can be seen. FB ads also start at $1/day, which grants you the chance to test out different creatives before investing more into a launch campaign.

2. Twitter has a very active game development community, and most of your activity can be automated. GIF's tend to perform quite well.

3. Instagram: You can not automate IG anymore, but you have more hashtag options available and high engagement. Recycle your photos and videos, which you will have to manually post over time from a touchscreen device. Be sure that the link in your profile bio goes directly to the game that you are promoting.

You can read more about Indie Game Marketing Strategies on my blog: https://clemmons.io/free-ways-promote-indie-games-online/

Read my blog: https://clemmons.io

Learn Unity Tips & Tricks: https://blog.theknightsofunity.com

I'd be inclined to pitch for Reddit being the most trafficked. Albeit no idea whether it has a decent conversion rate. It's certainly a productive place to engage with an existing fan base.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Reddit not really, tryed it none has home to check it, Best is most popular of course , Facebook, Twitter place are crawling with gamers. You just need right places to look up , like groups etc

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement