Game Design Analysis YouTube Channels

Started by
7 comments, last by Lens of Truth 6 years, 5 months ago

I know of one really good YouTube channel that's all about game design. It's simply called Mark Brown, and he does two different series: Game Makers' Toolkit and Boss Keys. It's a great place for game designers to go and just pick up ideas. He's not really about entertainment, although the videos certainly aren't boring, but more about education. As in, how do existing games do clever things to stand out from other games?

I myself created a YouTube channel with the intent of talking about game design, although I only have one video as of posting (working on the second). Are there any other really good channels like Mark Brown? I've seen other channels with the same intent, but lacking on the execution. Here's my video below.

Advertisement

I like to watch Extra Credits. They've made quite a few informative videos covering various aspects of game design.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ExtraCreditz/

When I saw the thread title the first two things that came to mind were Mark Brown and Errant Signal.

Errant Signal:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm4JnxTxtvItQecKUc4zRhQ

Also Raycevick isn't bad:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1JTQBa5QxZCpXrFSkMxmPw

I watched Extra Credits' blue shell video, which I liked, but their thumbnails make it really hard to tell what a video will be about.

I think Errant Signal is more of a reviewer, which is fine. I thought his Doom video was very well-written, I just would've preferred some background music (although not much to choose from in Doom's OST to back VO).

Raycevick seems to be a mix of design and review, but I only watched one of his shorter videos (TLOU voice acting), so i could be wrong.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to sample a little more from each when I've got some time.

39 minutes ago, Lens of Truth said:

Errant Signal is more of a reviewer

Arguably, what's the difference?  Review is just a form of analysis- it's mostly just a semantic difference. 

A review is a video that goes in depth on a single game, talking about most, if not all of its aspects: graphics and art design, music and sound, game mechanics, game modes, etc. A game design video focuses on a single mechanic or concept, thus can look at how a multitude of games use that mechanic, either effectively or not.

Errant Signal's Doom review is a single, twenty minute video exclusively focusing on Doom, with a mention of the original Doom and brief mentions of other games. He covered most aspects of the game.

Mark Brown has mentioned Doom several times throughout his videos. But every time he mentions it, he refers only to the glory kill mechanic and how "brilliant" it is. He never has to talk about the graphics, soundtrack, or how long the loading times are because he's not reviewing it. He's just citing it as a game that does something well (relevant to his topic of course.) And if his video does focus on a single game, like Toki Tori 2, he still hones in on a single concept in which to talk about.

So they are different. And right now I have an appetite for game design videos. Reviews much less so.  

I disagree on the semantics, but I get what you're looking for.  I still think there's game design wisdom to be found in videos like Errant Signal even if it's delivered in a review style.  There's value in deep-diving into one game to see what it does right or wrong.  And how all of the parts of a game come together is still a part of game design.  You can have one amazingly developed mechanic that's ruined by the implementation of all the things around it.

I agree with that. With all the review channels popping up here and there, it's great that there are good ones in the mix. I guess (and you probably know this already) I like Mark Brown's idea of displaying smart design so that game developing viewers can pick up ideas from even obscure games. Also means shorter videos (usually). :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement