My company

Started by
8 comments, last by 0r0d 6 years, 6 months ago

Hello everyone! I am 14 years old,and am looking to create my own game company. However I have no experience,therefore I have come to the forums to hire people. You will be paid with Revenue Sharing.Thanks everyone!

Advertisement
3 hours ago, Jmay2022 said:

Hello everyone! I am 14 years old,and am looking to create my own game company. However I have no experience,therefore I have come to the forums to hire people. You will be paid with Revenue Sharing.Thanks everyone!

The best non-snarky response I can give you is to start by getting some experience by learning how to program, creating some small games on your own, using and playing with some existing off-the-shelf game engines to learn how those operate and what's involved in game engines and editors, and generally spend a few years learning and getting experience before you even think about starting a game company or even working with others in a team.

We are a team creating a 3d MMO Survival game with Unity3D.

We are in need of:

1-2 Programmers

2-3 3D Modellers

1 Level Designer

1 Sound Editor

1 Concept Artist

1 Game Designer

More Info About The Game: The game will be happening in the future after a nuclear war, where everything will be detroyd the players will start with nothing except a starter pack (a knife which wont last for much time, a flashlight and some corps) then the players (100-200 max per map) will have to survive, the game will be endless, unless all the players die! In every map there will be a game master or 2 (if there are 100 players or 200 max for the map). There will be many maps created and every instance will be hosted by us!

It will be an indie game so no payments will be set till the KickStart!

For more info send an email at: alextitonis@gmail.com

1 hour ago, alexandros titonis said:

We are a team creating a 3d MMO Survival game with Unity3D.

@alexandros titonis Unless you are the original poster, what you did would be considered rude and against the rules.

5 hours ago, Jmay2022 said:

Hello everyone! I am 14 years old,and am looking to create my own game company.

That is good because it means you have 4 years where you can work towards the goal without any real risk to you.

My first advice is to make games to sell before making the company. You wouldn't open a store without goods to sell and you shouldn't start a game company without a game to sell.

Skills you need is: Good language skills for writing the dialogue in games, good math skills to find collision points and to do all kinds of vector math and programming skills to make the games and some marketing skills to sell the games. A lot of these you can learn by just attending your classes at school.

You can also start learning how to use engines.

5 hours ago, Jmay2022 said:

You will be paid with Revenue Sharing.

Don't do this ever. Revenue is all the money you make before expenses and depending how you make the game and were you sell it you will already owe royalties. A store like steam can take 30% royalty from your game and it sometimes happens that you pay as much as 50% of your revenue for royalties and taxes.

If you hire even one person under Revenue sharing it would mean that you owe them 50% of the revenue unless you declare a value in a contract. That would mean that if taxes and royalties takes 50% you would have to give the rest of the money to the person working for you. Then you still need to pay for the expenses and as a result the game is taking money from you instead of earning money for you.

I have actually seen something like this happen with a contract before.

Sharing profit also doesn't work, because it leads to a lot of fighting over who gets what. Instead a better way to do this is just to pay people working for you or to arrange some kind of credit with them.

Honestly making the game is the easy part, selling games is the hard part.

I do not know how to make a video game,therefore i need people to help me.

Look kid, you gotta have something to show for yourself before you can expect people to buy into your 'revenue sharing' incentive. You need to show good game design documents, a marketing strategy, a source of funding, and that you have some kind of skill set that will keep everyone else from having to do all the work FOR you.

Your best shot is to approach people "Hey, I want to learn how to make games for fun. Does anyone want to make one together?" Best not to annoy professionals...build a team with other volunteers. Offering some experience (on your end) in exchange for other experience on their end is your best bet for now. Realistically, you need to bring more to the table than merely having an idea for a game.

This is my placeholder signature
1 hour ago, Jmay2022 said:

That is why you have to learn.

Everyone on this site is here to learn how to make there own games, this is a good place to start. Ask around and you will find people willing to share what they know, ask for other to do the work for you and they will ignore you while focusing on there own games.

THX Everyone! Special thanks to all the advice I am going to try to us your advice!

1 hour ago, jkuehlin said:

Look kid, you gotta have something to show for yourself before you can expect people to buy into your 'revenue sharing' incentive. You need to show good game design documents, a marketing strategy, a source of funding, and that you have some kind of skill set that will keep everyone else from having to do all the work FOR you.

Your best shot is to approach people "Hey, I want to learn how to make games for fun. Does anyone want to make one together?" Best not to annoy professionals...build a team with other volunteers. Offering some experience (on your end) in exchange for other experience on their end is your best bet for now. Realistically, you need to bring more to the table than merely having an idea for a game.

1 hour ago, jkuehlin said:

8 hours ago, Jmay2022 said:

What you need is more knowledge and experience before you even think about things like starting a company, hiring people, revenue sharing, or any of that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement