• Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By 51mon
      Hey
      I'm dealing with ribbons following the shape of multiple spline segments. It's straightforward to compute the direction at any point along the spline. However the ribbon also got a flat shape and I'm struggling with finding a way to compute the angle of the ribbon in the plane perpendicular to the direction.
      To illustrate what I mean here's a piece of code that almost worked:
      float3x3 rotMtxFromSpline; rotMtxFromSpline[1] = normalize(splineDir); rotMtxFromSpline[0] = normalize(cross(float3(1, 0, 0), rotMtxFromSpline[1])); rotMtxFromSpline[2] = cross(rotMtxFromSpline[0], rotMtxFromSpline[1]); // Rotate rotMtxFromSpline[0] in the rotMtxFromSpline[0]-rotMtxFromSpline[2]-plane to align with float3(0, 0, 1) dir rotMtxFromSpline[0] = normalize(dot(rotMtxFromSpline[0], float3(0, 0, 1)) * rotMtxFromSpline[0] + dot(rotMtxFromSpline[2], float3(0, 0, 1)) * rotMtxFromSpline[2]); rotMtxFromSpline[2] = cross(rotMtxFromSpline[0], rotMtxFromSpline[1]); The problem with this code is when the spline segment becomes perpendicular to (0,0,1)-dir as the orientation switch from one side to the other very easily.
      The approach above is kind of a global approach and I'm thinking if there's a way to append some info to each spline segment to remedy the issue.
      Anyhow I wanted to post this question in case anyone had a similar problem that they solved or maybe anyone know some web resource dealing with this issue?

Thanks!
    • By Ricardo3Ddev
      Hi guys!
      This is a independent game being produced by me and my brother. We’ve been working on it for about 6 months and we’ve already done a good part of the game. We hope to finalize and make it available on Steam by the end of this year.
      We are using Blender 3D and Gimp software for production.

About the Game: Dongo Adventure will be a 3D platform style game, where the main character (Dongo) is a mouse that ventures through various scenarios (sewers, culverts, streets, electric grid, etc.) and faces several enemies along the way (cockroaches, mosquitoes, spiders, toxic gases, electrical wires, etc.). He carries a basket / backpack with cheeses that he uses to throw and defend himself from enemies, as well as being able to push objects that helps him to overcome obstacles. The ultimate goal will be a surprise!

Now we are developing new scenarios and enemies. We hope to publish news soon...
      Game page on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/811450/Dongo_Adventure/ - (Teaser UPDATED)
      Dongo Adventure - Indie Game Project (First Teaser) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2nmxtkE0xk

Thanks for following the project!

• By Epicghost 505
      Hello,
      We are looking for people to be apart of a team, to help create a horror game we are looking for 3d modelers, coders, artist, animators, fx artist, level designers, and audio design, there will be a payment plan once release of game                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              if your interested come join our discord                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         We hope to see you there
      https://discord.gg/6rcc6xr
      -Epicghost505
    • By lxjk
      Hi guys,
      There are many ways to do light culling in tile-based shading. I've been playing with this idea for a while, and just want to throw it out there.
      Because tile frustums are general small compared to light radius, I tried using cone test to reduce false positives introduced by commonly used sphere-frustum test.
      On top of that, I use distance to camera rather than depth for near/far test (aka. sliced by spheres).
      This method can be naturally extended to clustered light culling as well.
      The following image shows the general ideas

Performance-wise I get around 15% improvement over sphere-frustum test. You can also see how a single light performs as the following: from left to right (1) standard rendering of a point light; then tiles passed the test of (2) sphere-frustum test; (3) cone test; (4) spherical-sliced cone test

I put the details in my blog post (https://lxjk.github.io/2018/03/25/Improve-Tile-based-Light-Culling-with-Spherical-sliced-Cone.html), GLSL source code included!

Eric
    • By Octane_Test
      I am developing a mini golf game in Scenekit. I have applied dynamic physics body to the ball and static physics body to the grass surface and the brick walls show in this image.
      Issue:
      When I apply the force to the ball, the ball’s linear and angular speeds change as shown in the graphs.  The ball’s speeds don’t reduce to zero (so that the ball can stop) but remains constant after certain value.
      Ball linear speed graph
      Ball angular speed graph
      Analysis Tests:
      When I increase the values to both the rolling friction and the friction, the ball speed is reduced quickly but remains constant after certain value (similar to the above graphs). When I increase the values of the linear damping and the angular damping, the ball speed behavior is same as the point #1. When I set the gravity value to -9.8 m/s2, the ball’s linear speed remains constant after 0.1 m/s. If I reduce the gravity value to -5 m/s2, the ball’s linear speed remains constant after 0.05 m/s. The friction, linear friction, linear damping and angular damping are same throughout the motion of the ball.
      There is 1 millimeter overlapping between the ball and the surface of the golf course.
      Questions:
      From the analysis test #3, I think the gravity is causing the constant ball speed issue. Is my assumption correct? If yes, how can I fix the issue? I can’t remove the gravity field as without the gravity field the ball will not roll along the grass and it will slide. Why the friction and the damping properties are not affecting the ball speed after certain value?
      Are there any other physics properties can cause such issue?
      From the analysis test #5, are there any chances that the ball is receiving upward push to correct the position of the ball?
      Solutions:
      If I increase the physics timestep from 60 FPS to 200 FPS, the issue is resolved. I am not able to understand how this change can fix this issue? After reducing the gravity value to -1 m/s2 and physics simulation speed to 4 (4 times fast physics simulation), the issue is fixed. Again, I am not able to understand how this change fix the issue? I would appreciate any suggestions and thoughts on this topic. Thank you.
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement

3D Manual cubemap lookup/filtering in HLSL

I'm working in an old application (DX9-based) where I don't have access to the C code, but I can write any (model 3.0) HLSL shaders I want.  I'm trying to mess with some cube mapping concepts.  I've gotten to the point where I'm rendering a cube map of the scene to a cross cube that I can plug directly into ATI cubemapgen for filtering, which is already easier than trying to make one in Blender, so I'm pretty happy so far.  But I would like to do my own filtering and lookups for two purposes: one, to effortlessly render directly to sphere map (which is the out-of-the-box environment mapping for the renderer I'm using), and two, to try out dynamic cube mapping so I can play with something approaching real-time reflections.  Also, eventually, I'd like to do realish-time angular Gaussian on the cube map so that I can get a good feel for how to map specular roughness values to Gaussian-blurred environment miplevels.  It's hard to get a feel for that when it requires processing through several independent, slow applications.

Unfortunately, the math to do lookups and filtering is challenging, and I can't find anybody else online doing the same thing.  It seems to me that I'm going to need a world-vector-to-cube-cross-UV function for the lookup, then a cube-cross-UV-to-world-vector function for the filtering (so I can point sample four or more adjacent texels, then interpolate on the basis of angular distance rather than UV distance.)

First, I'm wondering if there's any kind of matrix that I can use here to transform vector to cube-cross map, rather than doing a bunch of conditionals on the basis of which cube face I want to read.  This seems like maybe it would be possible?  But I'm not really sure, it's kind of a weird transformation.  Right now, my cube cross is a 3:4 portrait, going top/front/bottom/back from top to bottom, because that's what cubemapgen wants to see.  I suppose I could make another texture from it with a different orientation, if that would mean I could skip a bunch of conditionals on every lookup.

Second, it seems like once I have the face, I could just use something like my rendering matrix for that face to transform a vector to UV space,  but I'm not sure that I could use the inverse of that matrix to get a vector from an arbitrary cube texel for filtering, because it involves a projection matrix-- I know those are kind of special, but I'm still wrapping my head around a lot of these concepts.  I'm not even sure I could make the inverse very easily; I can grab an inverseProj from the engine, but I'm writing to projM._11_22 to set the FOV to 90, and I'm not sure how that would affect the inverse.

Really interested in any kind of discussion on techniques involved, as well as any free resources.  I'd like to solve the problem, but it's much more important to me to use the problem as a way to learn more.

Advertisement

Getting the cubemap face + UV coordinates from a direction vector is fairly simple. The largest component determines the face, and the other two components are then your UV's after you divide by the max component, and then remap them from [-1, 1] to [0, 1]. Here's some example code for you from one of my open-source projects:

template<typename T> static XMVECTOR SampleCubemap(Float3 direction, const TextureData<T>& texData)
{
    Assert_(texData.NumSlices == 6);

float maxComponent = std::max(std::max(std::abs(direction.x), std::abs(direction.y)), std::abs(direction.z));
    uint32 faceIdx = 0;
    Float2 uv = Float2(direction.y, direction.z);
    if(direction.x == maxComponent)
    {
        faceIdx = 0;
        uv = Float2(-direction.z, -direction.y) / direction.x;
    }
    else if(-direction.x == maxComponent)
    {
        faceIdx = 1;
        uv = Float2(direction.z, -direction.y) / -direction.x;
    }
    else if(direction.y == maxComponent)
    {
        faceIdx = 2;
        uv = Float2(direction.x, direction.z) / direction.y;
    }
    else if(-direction.y == maxComponent)
    {
        faceIdx = 3;
        uv = Float2(direction.x, -direction.z) / -direction.y;
    }
    else if(direction.z == maxComponent)
    {
        faceIdx = 4;
        uv = Float2(direction.x, -direction.y) / direction.z;
    }
    else if(-direction.z == maxComponent)
    {
        faceIdx = 5;
        uv = Float2(-direction.x, -direction.y) / -direction.z;
    }

uv = uv * Float2(0.5f, 0.5f) + Float2(0.5f, 0.5f);
    return SampleTexture2D(uv, faceIdx, texData);
}

I don't think there's any simple matrix or transformation that will get you UV coordinates for a cubemap that's set up as a "cross". It would be easier if you had all of the faces laid out horizontally or vertically in cubemap face order(-X, +X, -Y, +Y, -Z, +Z), but if that's not possible then it should be possible to do a bit of extra computation to go from face index -> cross coordinates.

From there doing bilinear filtering isn't too hard by just treating the texture as 2D, but smoothly filtering across cubemap faces requires all kinds of special logic.

Thank you!

Was working on this since writing but wasn't getting anywhere.  I'd just given up when I read your message, figuring I'd wait until I'm smarter.  Replaced my ridiculous, non-functional code and it works :)  Now I just have to figure out why to actually use + and - and .zy vs .yz since I just trial-and-errored it.

I'm sure there's a reason cubemap filtering goes so slowly.  But at least I've already found things to read and try when it comes to that, so hopefully I won't get stuck.

sphNonFail.png.970b707a1b8d719312b0dc8d778736c3.png