Sign in to follow this  
lucky6969b

Bullet How to avoid physics and AI to dominate over each other?

If I set the physics after AI, physics will dominate the final world transformations, which totally erased the world transformations calculated from the AI, or vice versa.
I want to calculate the relative transformation when physics is in effect, how do I do that with btMotionState or derived classes with getWorldTransform overrided?
Thanks
Jack

If you override transforms after physics you run into the problem that you might break the physics constraints or move into penetration. You can take control over a physics object using ghost objects. A ghost object takes part in the broadphase, but not in the physics simulation. You are responsible for not moving the ghost objects into penetration (e.g. using raycast or volume sweeps).

Edited by Dirk Gregorius

I assume you are directly modifying position of objects?

If that is the case, you should make the AI set applied force or velocity, for example. Not the position itself. It's a common mistake with many physics engine with broad-phase (engines that will solve the position and angle of objects, the reactions).

I don't know how to figure out the forces applied to the object affected....

void AgentMotionState::getWorldTransform(btTransform& worldTrans) const
{

btTransform t;
btDefaultMotionState::getWorldTransform(t);

D3DXMATRIX l_mat;
D3DXMatrixIdentity(&l_mat);
if (m_object)
{
// DX TRANSFORM
l_mat = BT2DX_MATRIX(t);

D3DXVECTOR3 scale, pos;
D3DXQUATERNION quat;

D3DXMatrixDecompose(&scale, &quat, &pos, &l_mat);

Transform* l_transform = m_object->FindComponentByType();

// if setting positions here, the physics will dominate over AI
l_transform->setPosition2(pos);
l_transform->setRotation(quat);

}

// BULLET TRANSFORM
worldTrans = t;

}
Edited by lucky6969b

You need to figure out which part of the object is responsible for what actions.  Right now you have physics and AI both trying to move an object around, and that just wont work... clearly.    So, let the physics be responsible for the object's transform and let the AI determine what it wants to do, and then tell the physics system what it wants through setting forces or impulses.

9 minutes ago, lucky6969b said:

I don't know how to figure out the forces applied to the object affected....

Start with F = ma and work from there.  You should know what mass your objects have, and what speed you want, so just accelerate them until they reach that speed and then set accel back to 0.  Or, if your objects dont need to accelerate, just give them impulses.

But if I let the physics run in its own thread, this has some advantages when I don't update the physics too much by leveraging it some time to sleep,the AI actually has time to counteract with what the physics is currently doing. Because physics is continuous, if I divide the 1.0 with the frame rate, I can get some continuous feel without the physics hogging the world transformations all the time, when the physics thread is sleeping, the AI can do its work now...
Thanks
Jack

3 hours ago, lucky6969b said:

But if I let the physics run in its own thread, this has some advantages when I don't update the physics too much by leveraging it some time to sleep,the AI actually has time to counteract with what the physics is currently doing. Because physics is continuous, if I divide the 1.0 with the frame rate, I can get some continuous feel without the physics hogging the world transformations all the time, when the physics thread is sleeping, the AI can do its work now...
Thanks
Jack

I'm not sure I understand, do you still have both the AI and physics setting your object's transforms?

1 hour ago, lucky6969b said:

I meant when the physics thread goes to sleep, the AI can take control of the world transformation.

The AI should not be controlling the world transforms of your objects.   Not sure what you mean by "when the physics thread goes to sleep".  Regardless of whether you're multithreading your physics, or how you have Bullet set up to update, it should always be in control of the transform and the AI should be interfacing with it through setting forces, impulses, or maybe velocities.  But the AI should not directly change the positions of objects.  You're asking for trouble by doing this.

9 hours ago, lucky6969b said:

How can I calculate the forces from the resultant world transformation calculated by bullet?
Thanks
Jack

I'm confused by your question.  It sounds like you're trying to work backwards.

You first decide what you want your object to do, then you apply forces/impulses/velocities to get it to start moving in that direction, and finally Bullet will update the transform every frame according to those forces/impulses/velocities.

But, if you're trying to set the transform yourself through the AI code, you're actively fighting against the physics engine and that will not work.

I think people are misunderstanding the question here. AI absolutely does control an object's position in many games, at least indirectly. If I'm walking from place to place then the AI may find a path and attempt to follow it, moving me along that path. And obviously at the same time, other things in the world might apply physical forces in other ways.

The simplest thing that could possibly work here is to implement the AI path-following behaviour as a force applied to the character, so that feeds in to the physics, and the physics applies the actual motion and therefore sets the position. A very simple path follower can just apply a constant force (or assign a desired velocity, whatever your physics supports) in the direction of the next node on the path, and assuming that is sufficient force to move the character, and no other forces deflect or block the character, they can follow the path that way. You will need logic in the path-following system to recognise when it is failing to make progress (e.g. imagine walking onto a treadmill that pushes you back faster than you can move forwards) and signal further up the AI hierarchy to request a change in plan.

Another method is to have and explicit hand-off, where either one system or the other is in charge. e.g. In Unity there is a 'isKinematic' flag on a RigidBody, and if it's set, you can move the character around via navigation but collisions will not (generally) affect the character. Or you can clear the flag and collisions and other forces will work - but navigation may not. Other engines might have a 'ragdoll' mode or similar. Knowing when to switch the flag is tricky, however.