• Advertisement

Advice for finding popular gamedev frameworks/tools/engines?

I'm trying to find a way to check which frameworks, tools and game engines are popular, mainly because I'm trying to decide which programming language to learn, which would stem from would stem from which tool I'm going to use. Any advice?

Advertisement

Just browse the forums here for a bit, there's tons of discussion on exactly this topic. 

The tl;dr version is:  Unity, C++, C#, maybe some javascript, lua, python, etc.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Similar Content

• By LifeArtist
      Good Evening,
      I want to make a 2D game which involves displaying some debug information. Especially for collision, enemy sights and so on ...
      First of I was thinking about all those shapes which I need will need for debugging purposes: circles, rectangles, lines, polygons.
      I am really stucked right now because of the fundamental question:
      Where do I store my vertices positions for each line (object)? Currently I am not using a model matrix because I am using orthographic projection and set the final position within the VBO. That means that if I add a new line I would have to expand the "points" array and re-upload (recall glBufferData) it every time. The other method would be to use a model matrix and a fixed vbo for a line but it would be also messy to exactly create a line from (0,0) to (100,20) calculating the rotation and scale to make it fit.
      If I proceed with option 1 "updating the array each frame" I was thinking of having 4 draw calls every frame for the lines vao, polygons vao and so on. 
      In addition to that I am planning to use some sort of ECS based architecture. So the other question would be:
      Should I treat those debug objects as entities/components?
      For me it would make sense to treat them as entities but that's creates a new issue with the previous array approach because it would have for example a transform and render component. A special render component for debug objects (no texture etc) ... For me the transform component is also just a matrix but how would I then define a line?
      Treating them as components would'nt be a good idea in my eyes because then I would always need an entity. Well entity is just an id !? So maybe its a component?
      Regards,
      LifeArtist
    • By bakchoi
      This is the 1st game we built by Cocos Creator! We need your feedback about this game on:
      Is this game fun?  How is the graphic performance (laggy?) How can we improve the game? https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/color-block-game/id1347502739?ls=1&mt=8
      Thank you =)

App Preview - Color Block - 886x1920.mp4
    • By HouseAndMoon
      I make a game on my own. I do not use forums (until now) or social media programs to talk about it, I just do it. So the problem is: I finished the game, I published the game for android, no one (ok, 3 persons) check the game. So I see 2 possibilities: either the game is really, really bad (I suck) or I have no idea how to promote my game (this one is true for sure). I really think the game is rather fun but maybe I completely wrong. So, how the hell I check if my game is good or not and how the hell can I do some little promotion of my game for free. I would stop caring about the game if the game is really bad, but I sincerely think it is not. I would be grateful if someone post an opinion about this.
      Thanks.
    • By chuksphil12
      i am just starting to learn c++ and i  want to know exactly which free engine will be okay for a beginner to make games
    • By Josheir
      Hello, I am rewriting my pixel art game program and have decided to support the following resolutions:

1920 x 1080
      1280 x 720
      1024 x 768

I think they all look fine on the different sized monitors.  Does anyone have an opinion of any other needed resolution to support?
      When I started this research I seem to recall a general response of it might be just important to have the aspect ratios.  What does this mean exactly?  Why?
      Thank you,
      Josheir

• Advertisement