• Advertisement
CodeBro1

Advice for finding popular gamedev frameworks/tools/engines?

I'm trying to find a way to check which frameworks, tools and game engines are popular, mainly because I'm trying to decide which programming language to learn, which would stem from would stem from which tool I'm going to use. Any advice?

Advertisement

Just browse the forums here for a bit, there's tons of discussion on exactly this topic. 

The tl;dr version is:  Unity, C++, C#, maybe some javascript, lua, python, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Similar Content

• By Gezu
      Hi,
      I'm working on Warriorb for about 2,5 years now and recently we made a playable version of the first part of the game. There are still some elements missing (mostly vfx and sfx) but most of it is close to final.
      I would love to hear what do you think about our game so far. Any critique, feedback, idea or tip is appreciated.
      If you are interested send me a pm and I will give you a steam key for the game.
      I'm eager to receive your feedback:
      Gézu
    • By Erik Nivala
      So, as the title says i am trying to figure out a good way sync all that information with other players in Unity. My problem is that i can't come up with a good solution since i am used to creating classes for everything e.g. attachments are its own class and then the weapon would save a reference to that attachment. But since you can't send custom classes over [Command] & [ClientRPC] i am a little stuck. A solution for this would be giving each attachment for a slot a unique ID and then passing the ID to other player but i feel like that is very error prone if other ppl add a new attachment or the IDs get mixed up.
      Is there a "standard" way that this is usually done that i am missing?
      I am fairly new to programming so any help is appreciated!
    • By Catalin Danciu
      Hello,
      In the hopes that my thread is not off-topic or offensive in any way, I dare to ask the following "noob" question:
      what would be the correct way to create sprite animations from 2D *.bmp files?
      I have for reference the 2001 game  Desperados:Wanted Dead or Alive.
      with the help of some tools i found , I was able to extract files containing what seems to be animation frames and frame shadow masks for animating a horse.
      Attached are the archived assets.
      My goal is to recreate the demo level of the game using Unity, for educational purposes.
      I have started by loading the background map layer (also a large bmp file), and next step is to load a 2d character object and animate on the perspective.

Horse_Brown.rar
    • By Hellados
      Hello guys, my name is Giorgi and i'm newbie game developer i'm learning Pixel art and after pixel art  i want learn C# and don't know how and where start i'm bad with programming language and know only HTML/CSS
    • By JoAndRoPo
      While going through a Game Design Document Template, I came across this heading - Core Game Loop & Core Mechanics Loop. 
      What's the difference? Can you provide some examples of an existing game?  Suppose if I am including these topics in a Game Design Document, how should I explain it so that my team can understand? 
    • By HomeBrewArcana
      Hey All,
      I'm looking to get into the gaming industry. I've skirted around the idea for a long time, always thinking that I couldn't do it. I've finally decided to take the plunge.

My question is whether it's worth going to school for game design/coding etc. I've been writing content for paper games for a while, and have a good idea of story and some basic design. But I have next to no technical know how. 

My instinct is that such things can be learned with a lot of practice, video tutorials, and more practice. I've also heard that a degree is not really that important, since you get hired based on your portfolio/prototypes. Why not just make the games?
      But won't a degree help with contacts and mentoring--I'm not a great networker.

Of course, it'll plunge me into more debt, but...
      If anyone has advice, let me know. Also any idea of a program to start with: Game Maker, Unity, Godot, Construct, Stencyl--I've heard good things about them all, so much so that I don't know which would be best to start with!

Thanks
    • By Liquifire
      I'm making an small 2D engine using Kha and I have a timer class, which basically simply either waits a certain amount of time to call a function, or repeatedly calls a certain function after every x seconds. I simply want to know if I should have timers run on different threads. I'm aware that makes sense, but I might use many timers in a game for example, would that still be okay? Also I'm currently writing an animation components, which waits every x seconds to draw another image using the timer class. And in a normal 2D games, I would have many objects with animations on them, other than the other timers. So I just wanted to ask people who have more experience and knowledge than I have what I should do for timers: Either leave them on the same main thread, or make them run on different threads. Thanks in advance.
    • By Gezu
      I'm a 3D artist with basically no music knowledge at all. I do love musics like some video games and films have. I have a Yamaha DGX-205 which wasn't used by anyone for a decade and I don't know why but this January I started to learn how to play some of the musics I like. I didn't know how to start and I ended up with trying to learn Trine Dragon Graveyard. It took me 5 month to be able to play this from the beginning to the end but I really enjoyed every second of the learning process.
      Since I was not satisfied with the piano sound of my DGX-205 I tried to connect it to my PC. It took me some time to figure out how I can make it work. The app which is mentioned in the manual is not supported anymore. I did some search and installed LMMS which absolutely did what I wanted (I mean now I have nice piano sound from my PC's speakers when I press the keys :D). After installing a program designed to make music I started to wonder if it is possible for me to create music?
      Right now I'm learning a track from Child of Light but the idea of learning how to compose is still in my mind. I know there are many experienced composer around here and I would like to ask for advice. How shall I start learning? Shall I wait and learn to play more music or is it a good idea to start right now? Where can I get good info on how to learn composing? I have no particular plan with composing I only want to do it for fun.
    • By Developer Dre Reid
      Hello fellow game devs I am seeking some answers to a somewhat simple question. Now I always thought that when a dev was going to work on a new game to publish he/she should keep some aspects secret infill time to release then he/she can give out needed information pertaining to the game to the public as a marketing tactic. However I had a discussion with other game devs who stated that my way was somewhat not right and the only reason I had such thoughts was due to me being a smaller indie dev who was afraid of having my idea stolen. 
      Therefore I would honestly like to know if my way was right or were the other devs correct. If I were to start working on a new game and give out information about it online via social media would I be risking my idea being stolen and it being made faster and better by another developer or team of developers. Am...Am I paranoid??? 
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!